Tour De France Starts Today

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Arguably the best sporting event of the year starts today in Rotterdam. 5pm live coverage on ITV4 for all the tour fans on kb.

Rossco1874

Although I've been looking forward to the world cup for 4 years. I don't think I would cope if the TDF was more than every year!

Was at the final stage last year seeing all the riders come in, the atmosphere was awesome!

Also, TDF can tend to be a bit of a money maker also. Got a fair few bets on this year as skybet have loads of markets due to obviously teamsky.

Cancellara to win the Prologue as the man is head and shoulders above anyone else when it comes to the time trails 1/2

D.Millar each way for the prologue w/o Cancellara 11/2

Martinez to win the Polka Dot jersey 8/1

Wiggins to finish in the top 6 4/5

Cav to win 6 or more stages 4/1 as I think Columbia HTC prioritise the stage wins over the green jersey.

And finally A.Schleck to win the tour 11/2 as well as a cheeky each way on Evans to win it at 13/2

Way-hey!!!

Ta for the reminder.

Fantastic event and the commentary team on Eurosport are so knowledgeable it makes it a pleasure to waste entire afternoons watching stage after stage.

'mon the breakaways (obviously not today:D)

Italian Lambretta

I've got Andy Schleck to win the the tour @ 5/1 and 16/1 Bradley Wiggins to finish in the top 3.

As much as I love the JT's I can't wait for the TDF to come around every year.

Although I've been looking forward to the world cup for 4 years. I don't think I would cope if the TDF was more than every year!

Was at the final stage last year seeing all the riders come in, the atmosphere was awesome!

Also, TDF can tend to be a bit of a money maker also. Got a fair few bets on this year as skybet have loads of markets due to obviously teamsky.

Cancellara to win the Prologue as the man is head and shoulders above anyone else when it comes to the time trails 1/2

D.Millar each way for the prologue w/o Cancellara 11/2

Martinez to win the Polka Dot jersey 8/1

Wiggins to finish in the top 6 4/5

Cav to win 6 or more stages 4/1 as I think Columbia HTC prioritise the stage wins over the green jersey.

And finally A.Schleck to win the tour 11/2 as well as a cheeky each way on Evans to win it at 13/2

Whilst I feel it's one of those must-see events, has anyone ever been to a normal daily stage? I get the impression there's a huge build-up, then whizz - the peloton goes through in about 45 seconds and it's over or do the towns/villages make a day-long hoolie out of it?

Also think a mountain stage would be awe-inspiring.

Ivan Basso for the Giro/Tour double. Time for an Italian win.

The White Cockade

Cav is concentrating on getting the green jersey but not sure he will do as

well as last year after illness and a few controversies this year

still if he is fully fit and focused would fancy hime for 3 or 4 stage wins

Isle of Man cycle team for this year's Commonwealth Games has been named with

Cav, the Kennaugh brothers, Johnny Bellis and Mark Christian so I can see a few gold

medals heading back to Manx land

Whilst I feel it's one of those must-see events, has anyone ever been to a normal daily stage? I get the impression there's a huge build-up, then whizz - the peloton goes through in about 45 seconds and it's over or do the towns/villages make a day-long hoolie out of it?

Also think a mountain stage would be awe-inspiring.

I love the tour and I'm looking forward to the next 3 weeks.

We tried to go when we were in France 3 years ago. We left it too late in the morning to go. Idiots.

I watched the tour of Britain go past in September and it was good so I'd imagine the tour de France would be so much better.

Arguably the best sporting event of the year starts today in Rotterdam. 5pm live coverage on ITV4 for all the tour fans on kb.

eh....no :down:

Rossco1874

Prologue done and loving the fact that Millar finished 3rd. Ever since he has come back from his doping scandal, he has been an excellent ambassador for the sport.

Also, GIRFUY Wiggins for choosing to ride early. Completly back fired!

Gerd Muller

What annoys me about this sport is that its rife with doping. Its actually now not surprising when someone is caught. I enjoy watching it at times but you just know that there will be folk caught and cyclists suspended and teams suspended.

Is Contador (4/6 fav) that good?

Rossco1874

4/6 is ok but there a are better prices around

Contador is awesome but he is catchable, all it'll take is a fall and that'll be him screwed. Better off with higher priced favourites and sticking them on each way.

Ryan Gosling

Cavendish causes another crash and has the cheek to play the victim after it. Arse.

Davie Millar did brilliantly yesterday, Armstrong was very impressive in the time trial as well.

I'll be at stages 16, 17 and 18 later this month.

Cavendish causes another crash and has the cheek to play the victim after it. Arse.

Davie Millar did brilliantly yesterday, Armstrong was very impressive in the time trial as well.

I'll be at stages 16, 17 and 18 later this month.

Your being a bit harsh on Cavendish are you not?

I'd say that crash at the hairpin was just 1 of those things and he just shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Hope you enjoy the stages though. :thumbsup:

Well done Chavanel today - I aye like the breakaway groups and fortune was on his side.

One prologue and 2 Stages in and it's been mental so far. Folk crashing all over the place and some big names having to work hard just to stay in touch.

Very enjoyable so far.

Tour de France is a fine showcase for Colombia's finest export and the opportunities that are available in sports through blood doping. TdF = farce.

Ryan Gosling

Tour de France is a fine showcase for Colombia's finest export and the opportunities that are available in sports through blood doping. TdF = farce.

If they're all doping, it's still a level playing field.

Ryan Gosling

Your being a bit harsh on Cavendish are you not?

I'd say that crash at the hairpin was just 1 of those things and he just shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Hope you enjoy the stages though. :thumbsup:

I just don't like him.

I'll enjoy the stages though. I'll have a Saltire there! I'll be in Salies de Bearns and Pau (start and finish) I think.

Loving it so far. Daft crashes, everyone doing their bit for their teams etc. It's always a bit mad before the high mountains. Cavendish does seem like a bit of a fudd.

I just don't like him.

I'll enjoy the stages though. I'll have a Saltire there! I'll be in Salies de Bearns and Pau (start and finish) I think.

I don't mind Cavendish. If his train is up there no-one has got a chance.

I'll look out for the Saltire. Wish it was me. :(

Was over in Rotterdam on sat. Watched the initial racers from a German's 33rd floor flat at Erasmus. Then down onto the bridge for the big guys. Fab Canch was shifting. And the great thing was no hassle anywhere in the massive crowd. post-286-12784065660545_thumb.jpg

This cobblestone section is murder!

Folk flying off the road all over the place. Through hedges, into the crowd, up trees, wrapped around telephone poles....this can't be safe in any way. Whoever planned this route needs shooting.

This cobblestone section is murder!

Folk flying off the road all over the place. Through hedges, into the crowd, up trees, wrapped around telephone poles....this can't be safe in any way. Whoever planned this route needs shooting.

They manage it every year in the Paris - Roubaix.

Mind you most of the big boys avoid that racvce like the plague.

An interesting choice of route, and not the first time the tour has done it.

loveofthegame

As much as I love cycling and take part in both road and mountain biking in my spare time, I cannot get into the TdF.

As a professional sport it stinks, the cheating is ridiculous and therefore it the athletes deserve little praise or attention in my book. The many drugs cheats involved have tarred the whole sport with one brush in my book.

Grew up loving and respecting Lance Armstrong for everything he'd overcome and achieved. Now I cannot shake off the rumours and stories about him and am 99% certain he is a cheat.

As much as I love cycling and take part in both road and mountain biking in my spare time, I cannot get into the TdF.

As a professional sport it stinks, the cheating is ridiculous and therefore it the athletes deserve little praise or attention in my book. The many drugs cheats involved have tarred the whole sport with one brush in my book.

Grew up loving and respecting Lance Armstrong for everything he'd overcome and achieved. Now I cannot shake off the rumours and stories about him and am 99% certain he is a cheat.

They all cheat, it's part of the sport. In actual fact I think Miguel Indurain was maybe the only one who won the tour without cheating, mainly because he was a physical freak and naturally had the attributes the other use drugs for. The very act of finishing the tour is remarkable, a race where you can't take on enough calories to survive what you are doing day in, day out. I think the cheating would annoy me more if it was a recent thing but it's existed since day one of pro cycling. So in a way it isn't cheating if everyone does it? Whereas if you are in a 100% clean sport and you take drugs then you are a real cheat.

Ryan Gosling

I agree. We shouldn't respect what Lance Armstrong achieved in beating cancer because of a hunch you have.

They all cheat, it's part of the sport. In actual fact I think Miguel Indurain was maybe the only one who won the tour without cheating, mainly because he was a physical freak and naturally had the attributes the other use drugs for. The very act of finishing the tour is remarkable, a race where you can't take on enough calories to survive what you are doing day in, day out. I think the cheating would annoy me more if it was a recent thing but it's existed since day one of pro cycling. So in a way it isn't cheating if everyone does it? Whereas if you are in a 100% clean sport and you take drugs then you are a real cheat.

Indurain was soooo boring to watch though. Like a big dopey machine. Bugno, Chiapucci etc all had more class than him but he just battered them into submission. I used to dislike Armstrong too but at least he showed some emotion and agression. The only time I ever saw Indurain emotional was when someone stood on his toe. As for Armstrong cheating, I don't believe it. He voluntarily gve drug tests and haas never been caught out.

Now that it looks like Basso has shot his bolt I'm going for Geraint Thomaas, cos he's Welsh.

I hate these boring, pishy, straight, flat stages.

Bugger all happens apart from a small break goes out early then gets caught at 10km and then a 500m sprint by the big guns.

YAWN.

Bring on the mountains. :whistling:

I hate these boring, pishy, straight, flat stages.

Bugger all happens apart from a small break goes out early then gets caught at 10km and then a 500m sprint by the big guns.

YAWN.

Bring on the mountains. :whistling:

Well the mountains caught out Lance Armstrong today.

How can anyone cycle that distance and then go up a mountain fairly quickly? Mad.

Thank god for the mountain stages. REAL bike riding.

None of this "cruise along chatting for 200miles then sprint like mad for 200 yards" pish.

Lance had terrible luck today. On the floor 3 times, none of which were his own fault.

Should have stayed in retirement, IMO. All he's doing is ruining his own reputation.

Schumacher take note!

Ryan Gosling

Shocker for Armstrong today. Hopefully he can sign off with a stage win - maybe go for it and get it on the Champs Elysees like Vinokourov did a few years back - the French would hate that!

Renshaw kicked off the tour for headbutting and cutting up in yesterday's sprint.

That is a very harsh punishment!!

Seeing it live yesterday, I knew that some sort of punishment was coming but to kick him off the entire tour is way overboard!

Who'll lead Cav now? One man broken, another one booted off.... :yucky:

Renshaw kicked off the tour for headbutting and cutting up in yesterday's sprint.

That is a very harsh punishment!!

Seeing it live yesterday, I knew that some sort of punishment was coming but to kick him off the entire tour is way overboard!

Who'll lead Cav now? One man broken, another one booted off.... :yucky:

Missed the highlights last night. Hopefully replayed the night. Renshaw is a bit of a Van Bommel though, so this could be a reputation preceeding him decision. Or, political, to stop Cav winning any more stages and beating a few records.

If the ban is for the head, then that is nonsense, as Renshaw was being pushed aside and he was letting the guy know he was standing his ground. If it is for the blatant blocking after Cav set off, then guilty. However, who else has ever been kicked off the tour for that. Stage disqualification at worst. I smell fish.

If the ban is for the head, then that is nonsense, as Renshaw was being pushed aside and he was letting the guy know he was standing his ground. If it is for the blatant blocking after Cav set off, then guilty. However, who else has ever been kicked off the tour for that. Stage disqualification at worst. I smell fish.

I have to agree.

It seems the orginisers have some sort of hidden agenda.

When you see it from above it's definately just Renshaw defending himself.

The blocking off was a punishable offence but getting booted is insane.

When you see it from above it's definately just Renshaw defending himself.

The blocking off was a punishable offence but getting booted is insane.

Mark R's interview on ITV4 was worthy. He knew he didn't deserve his punishment but he took it for the team. I'm not a particular Cav fan, I admire his ability, but to hamstring his effort on a tenuous supposition stinks. Seems it's not only drugs that continue to ruin cycling.

This is amazing stuff in the mountains the last few days. Schleck and Contador have been side by side for days. With only a 30 second lead for the yellow.

And now Schleck has gone to make a break and within 100 yards his chain is off. The chase is on as Contador got away and Schleck is after him big time. And their about to do a descent that has 100kph speeds on it.

Amazing to watch the effort Schleck is putting in to make the time up on the climb.

Next few days are gong to be mental.

Schleck has to go all out in the few remaining stages as Contador will piss on him in the final time trial.

Interesting times ahead!

We still don't know if Shleck took his chain guard off to save weight or what......that could be a fatal error if he did.

Haven't seen todays stage but have been a bit dissapointed wi Schleck just following Contador so far. He's not got enough time for the time trial IMO. Attack fella.

Schleck could be a revelation in the TT. He has nothing to lose if the time is the same by then.

Tourmalet will decide it I reckon. And they can both climb well.

The safe bet would be Contador for the tour, but Schleck still has a fighting chance.

Contador is a little weasel, i dislike him even more now after todays incident.

Contador is a little weasel, i dislike him even more now after todays incident.

I can't help but agree with this. To attack when Schleck's chain came off was poor patter.

Thems the breaks......

Andy Schleck hasn't had any luck this tour what with his brother going out early and now this.

It could be worse though.....he could be Lance Armstrong or Cadel Evans!

Archived