USA v Ghana

The Merse

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

According to him after the Algeria match, "every contest turns into a head game". Which is right up there with John Terry having played with three partners at this tournament already...

I can't see any way that Ghana get through this without penalties. They look spent out there. I hope they can take it that far, but doubt it TBH.

:D

Regarding that interview though - he was spot on.

A lot to be admired about the American attitude and their sporting philosphy. If the Brits could replicate it we'd be laughing.

Chuffed Ghana look like winning, but they are starting to annoy with the number of players they have staying down.

Chuffed Ghana look like winning, but they are starting to annoy with the number of players they have staying down.

The time-wasting is poor. USA are way too predictable in attack, though. The cross goes in at the same pace to the same area every time.

Further bewildering officiating. The final goal celebration took two minutes and there was no injury time at the end of the first half. Five players down receiving treatment in the 30 minutes injury time (all Ghanaian) and the board advises three minutes at the end of thirty; referee managed 2:50.

shaun.lawson

:D

Regarding that interview though - he was spot on.

A lot to be admired about the American attitude and their sporting philosphy. If the Brits could replicate it we'd be laughing.

Absolutely. Exhibit A - even though he lost in heartbreaking fashion - Andy Roddick at Wimbledon last year. How he held himself together after missing those set points to go two sets up, I'll never know. Their attitude is fantastic. I do think the Brits can be quite incredible when our backs are to the wall; but the rest of the time, we're useless. :down:

I'm so, so happy Ghana won that. The odds were stacked against them for much of the game, I thought; but they hung in there and got what they deserved. Africa has another quarter-finalist. Brilliant. :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

How patronising is the ITV coverage?

'Good on those little Africans' seems to be the gist of it.

And Marcel Desailly: 1) how are you paid to be a pundit? 2) If you love Ghana so much, why didn't you play for them?

shaun.lawson

More proof England's group was the weakest....

2010 FIFA World Cup groups by average world ranking of the four teams involved

A 31.25

B 22

C 19.25

D 18.25

E 26

F 37

G 34

H 20.5

England's group was actually the second hardest, and the only one with all four sides ranked in the world's top 30.

Of course I'm frustrated that we didn't top it, and it's left us with the draw from hell. But I have personal reasons for believing we were fated to meet Germany at this point; and it's just fantastic for Africa that they have a quarter-finalist at their World Cup. Had Ghana met us, maybe we'd have scrambled through; maybe we'd have gone the exact same way as the US.

Look at Desailly. laugh.gif Ron Atkinson will be seething.

He's loving it. Happy scenes. I wonder why he chose to play for France?

Malinga the Swinga

Further bewildering officiating. The final goal celebration took two minutes and there was no injury time at the end of the first half. Five players down receiving treatment in the 30 minutes injury time (all Ghanaian) and the board advises three minutes at the end of thirty; referee managed 2:50.

Time wasting is getting out of hand in all games, but Ghana couldn't make it any more obvious if they tried. Ref very lenient on yellow cards for time wasting, as Ghana would be without half a team. Hopefully Germany will knock the last of the weakest group teams out tomorrow.

A 31.25

B 22

C 19.25

D 18.25

E 26

F 37

G 34

H 20.5

England's group was actually the second hardest, and the only one with all four sides ranked in the world's top 30.

Of course I'm frustrated that we didn't top it, and it's left us with the draw from hell. But I have personal reasons for believing we were fated to meet Germany at this point; and it's just fantastic for Africa that they have a quarter-finalist at their World Cup. Had Ghana met us, maybe we'd have scrambled through; maybe we'd have gone the exact same way as the US.

:rofl:

The world rankings are bollocks.

shaun.lawson

:rofl:

The world rankings are bollocks.

They're miles more accurate than they used to be. Which teams (other than England) are you going to insult by determining, in your personal, subjective opinion, that they don't deserve to be ranked where they are?

They're miles more accurate than they used to be. Which teams (other than England) are you going to insult by determining, in your personal, subjective opinion, that they don't deserve to be ranked where they are?

You keep biting.

USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

thumbsup.gif

A 31.25

B 22

C 19.25

D 18.25

E 26

F 37

G 34

H 20.5

Shaun , I normally block the pesh that you post but even by your 'standards' this is completely ridiculous.

And patronising.

Do us a favour and get onto Norwich Canaries for World Cup Glory.com. and spare us your nonsense.

Please.

shaun.lawson

A 31.25

B 22

C 19.25

D 18.25

E 26

F 37

G 34

H 20.5

Shaun , I normally block the pesh that you post but even by your 'standards' this is completely ridiculous.

And patronising.

Do us a favour and get onto Norwich Canaries for World Cup Glory.com. and spare us your nonsense.

Please.

1. What other method of objectively assessing the difficulty of England's group is there?

2. I do sometimes think things are fated to happen. Most sports fans do. Don't you?

3. It is fantastic for Africa that Ghana made it tonight. What else was it? Miserable?

I usually ignore your posts because you're invariably such an utter misery and complete curmudgeon; but in this case, I'll make a rare exception. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Gutted the Yanks are out tbh :( Really enjoyed watching them, partly because the locals here are really getting into it and partly because they were a great team to watch.

Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley and Landon are all brilliant players.

Jozi Altidore is at best just naive, at worst Nade. Findlay was anonymous - if they had a decent striker they'd have gone far.

But overall it was the attitude. They just kept going on and on and on and on, no matter what. A real credit to a non-soccer nation.

Again, just gutted that they didn't win :(

Why all the hating on England? Or the focus? Sure they are not a bad side, but hardly world beaters. There are far stronger teams in this competition, and I have no doubt that time will settle them all in to their correct place.

England are good to maybe beat Germany, but then they'll come up agaisnt one of the really good teams, and then they'll be on their way home.

Don't sweat the England thing guys, they keep getting caught up on the media hype, and so they end up playing with this self inflicted pressure.

So relax, grab a beer, chill out, and enjoy the rest of the world cup.

Sorry for any typos! Mass quantities of various beers from micro brewrues can do that :)

and go Giants for Monday night against the hated Dodgers( shameless off topic dig at the dodgers :))

Archived