Wayne Rooney (merged threads)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Did anyone see his wee dig at the fans as he walked off the pitch?

He said something in that dreadful scouse accent along the lines of 'yeah it's great when the fans boo you in the world cup'.

Is he having a laugh? Most of the Engerland fans would have been saving for years to make this tournament. They were paying 2k just for a week to watch a single game ffs. They deserve a lot better than this bunch of jokers are serving up and he still has the brass neck to insult them. I'd be absolutely seething if I was an England fan in South Africa right now.

Also - forget about Rooney being one of the top 5 players in the world. Nowhere near it.

shaun.lawson

He said something in that dreadful scouse accent along the lines of 'yeah it's great when the fans boo you in the world cup'.

Is he having a laugh? Most of the Engerland fans would have been saving for years to make this tournament. They were paying 2k just for a week to watch a single game ffs. They deserve a lot better than this bunch of jokers are serving up and he still has the brass neck to insult them. I'd be absolutely seething if I was an England fan in South Africa right now.

Also - forget about Rooney being one of the top 5 players in the world. Nowhere near it.

I'm not that bothered TBH. Clueless, classless comments, of course: every player and the manager deserved to be booed mercilessly after that shower. But if he uses his anger to galvanise himself - and better still, if he and other senior players realise they have nothing to lose, and tell the idiot in charge exactly what's wrong (because I think they know, and he doesn't), all would not be lost.

Is Capello stopping Rooney from doing the basics such as passing and moving? Na. His, and the majority bar Johnson and Crouch's, attitude is shocking.

It's easy for us to sit at home and say we're not bothered but I'd genuinely be raging if I had paid so much money to listen to that wee prick spitting the dummy.

Rooney has chucked it. Worst player of the tournament (considering the expectations) by far.

I'm not that bothered TBH. Clueless, classless comments, of course: every player and the manager deserved to be booed mercilessly after that shower. But if he uses his anger to galvanise himself - and better still, if he and other senior players realise they have nothing to lose, and tell the idiot in charge exactly what's wrong (because I think they know, and he doesn't), all would not be lost.

they are overpaid prima donnas who are being showed up for what they are.... average at best. how many of them would get a game for Argentina?

Why does Capello not play Joe Cole?

Delighted, to be honest. They have a manager on ?6M per annum and I could pick a team to beat Algeria.

Maybe it's a theme, the English players who we are told are world superstars don't cut it at a major tournament. Beckham never managed it.

He said, 'Dey do doh, don't dey?" then held his hands out in a really aggresive way!

shaun.lawson

they are overpaid prima donnas who are being showed up for what they are.... average at best. how many of them would get a game for Argentina?

Why does Capello not play Joe Cole?

Delighted, to be honest. They have a manager on ?6M per annum and I could pick a team to beat Algeria.

Which completely contradicts your earlier point about being "shown up for what they are". Because what they are is nowhere near as bad as this.

shaun.lawson

Is Capello stopping Rooney from doing the basics such as passing and moving? Na. His, and the majority bar Johnson and Crouch's, attitude is shocking.

It's easy for us to sit at home and say we're not bothered but I'd genuinely be raging if I had paid so much money to listen to that wee prick spitting the dummy.

Rooney has chucked it. Worst player of the tournament (considering the expectations) by far.

If he has, I don't really blame him given the way the team is being managed. AP: you watched Argentina in qualifying, didn't you? They look like the brilliant side they are now back then? Generally, they were a shambles; but their system changed. They found a defensive solution, and are suddenly on the march. That's the mystery of international football: if one piece in the jigsaw is wrong, the whole thing can fall apart completely.

Which completely contradicts your earlier point about being "shown up for what they are". Because what they are is nowhere near as bad as this.

Wrong Shaun, Algeria are below average and Engerland are not that bad....

If he has, I don't really blame him given the way the team is being managed. AP: you watched Argentina in qualifying, didn't you? They look like the brilliant side they are now back then? Generally, they were a shambles; but their system changed. They found a defensive solution, and are suddenly on the march. That's the mystery of international football: if one piece in the jigsaw is wrong, the whole thing can fall apart completely.

shaun, that's how distanced these guys are from real life

for a footballer playig for your country at a world cup should be the pinnacle, they shouldn't chuck it just because they don't like the way they are being managed

to touch on your point about Sir Bobby on the other thread, in the same situation I would not put faith in these players standing up to the manager because being honest I do not see the same heart in these players than what was so obvious in the likes of Gazza, Linekar, Pearce etc at Italia '90

certainly their first response to a performance like that wouldn't be to complain about the fans, they'd be thinking that they need to make it up to them

I don't really get why you are laying the blame at Capello's door? Fair enough, he's made some strange decisions like Gerrard on the left, naming the team 2 hours before kick off and Heskey (although you support that one?).

He's one of the best around though. His record speaks for itself. The blame lies at the door of the jokes that are known as the 'golden generation'. Average, overpaid, players who believe their own hype.

As for the legendary Maradona, I think it's becoming clear that the real problem was the amount of players he used during qualifying. What was it? Something like 120 players in 19 games. Mental. I still don't see him as a tactician or anything like that .... more of a motivator. It could well be enough to see them do the business this year and I really hope it is (although I'm supporting Germany and the USA for different reasons!).

Just like France they don't seem to be that bothered. In the huff or just no real drive to win? Fans should boo all they want, as said above a lot of them will have spent a small fortune, expected a great time and be thoroughly disappointed with what they have got. Even a defeat would be good as long as the players tried a leg. Most look like they are on the training pitch.

Guest Red Mist

Just like France they don't seem to be that bothered. In the huff or just no real drive to win? Fans should boo all they want, as said above a lot of them will have spent a small fortune, expected a great time and be thoroughly disappointed with what they have got. Even a defeat would be good as long as the players tried a leg. Most look like they are on the training pitch.

So why, then, did we hardly hear a peep out of them all match until the end? Why travel all that way, spend all that hard earned money to sit on your arse in face paint looking like a ****? You're not guaranteed to be entertained, every football fan knows this.

shaun.lawson

I don't really get why you are laying the blame at Capello's door? Fair enough, he's made some strange decisions like Gerrard on the left, naming the team 2 hours before kick off and Heskey (although you support that one?).

He's one of the best around though. His record speaks for itself. The blame lies at the door of the jokes that are known as the 'golden generation'. Average, overpaid, players who believe their own hype.

As for the legendary Maradona, I think it's becoming clear that the real problem was the amount of players he used during qualifying. What was it? Something like 120 players in 19 games. Mental. I still don't see him as a tactician or anything like that .... more of a motivator. It could well be enough to see them do the business this year and I really hope it is (although I'm supporting Germany and the USA for different reasons!).

He might be one of the best around - in club football - but he's in uncharted waters in terms of managing a team at a major tournament, and is being found incredibly wanting, with basic mistake after basic mistake. It'd help if he could speak the lingo to begin with too.

The test of any manager is "is he getting the absolute maximum from the players at his disposal?" Given England plumbed new depths of horror last night, the answer is an emphatic 'no'. On the 'golden generation' business: it does strike me that a number of England players are probably shot to pieces mentally by failure after failure over the last decade, so much so that it only took one ******-up (Green v the USA) for it all to come flooding back and everything to fall apart. Trouble is, we have no players coming through at all! Meaning England at major tournaments may become a major rarity over the next ten years.

PS. Heskey? I'm fine with him being in the squad. I'm not at all fine with us playing two up front, and doubt I ever will be where England are concerned.

So why, then, did we hardly hear a peep out of them all match until the end? Why travel all that way, spend all that hard earned money to sit on your arse in face paint looking like a ****? You're not guaranteed to be entertained, every football fan knows this.

vuvuzela.jpg

Eh, guv'nor?

Sure, no guarantee to be entertained, but at least you expect the team to TRY.

in fairness there were a few times I heard god save the queen above the vuvuzelas so they weren't there sitting in their hands

Guest Red Mist

Eh, guv'nor?

Sure, no guarantee to be entertained, but at least you expect the team to TRY.

He obviously did try and was **** on the night. That's why he was frustrated. Any England fan's desire to see their country lift the WC does not even come close to the desire of any England player. The whole "I've just spent a fortune so we must perform" mentality is a load of bollocks. I don't like trotting out clich?s but he is only human and will have off days.

Incidentally, if people paid thousands of pounds to watch me do my job, I'd be grateful for the support. But if I have a bad day and some fat, bald, middle-aged idiot with a St George's cross painted across his face decided to turn on me for that, I'd have said exactly the same as Rooney.

Johanes de Silentio

He said, 'Dey do doh, don't dey?" then held his hands out in a really aggresive way!

'e did do dat, do, didn't 'e? :thumbsup:

He obviously did try and was **** on the night. That's why he was frustrated. Any England fan's desire to see their country lift the WC does not even come close to the desire of any England player. The whole "I've just spent a fortune so we must perform" mentality is a load of bollocks. I don't like trotting out clich?s but he is only human and will have off days.

Incidentally, if people paid thousands of pounds to watch me do my job, I'd be grateful for the support. But if I have a bad day and some fat, bald, middle-aged idiot with a St George's cross painted across his face decided to turn on me for that, I'd have said exactly the same as Rooney.

Fatist, baldist, middleagedist post IMO...

Johanes de Silentio

The English fans are bealing.

The English players are bealing.

The England coach is bealing.

The English media are bealing.

All in all, I fail to see the problem! :blink:

Well I'm sure when Rooney hands back the fat pay cheque he didn't earn the fat painted man will be ever so grateful.

He might be one of the best around - in club football - but he's in uncharted waters in terms of managing a team at a major tournament, and is being found incredibly wanting, with basic mistake after basic mistake. It'd help if he could speak the lingo to begin with too.

The test of any manager is "is he getting the absolute maximum from the players at his disposal?" Given England plumbed new depths of horror last night, the answer is an emphatic 'no'. On the 'golden generation' business: it does strike me that a number of England players are probably shot to pieces mentally by failure after failure over the last decade, so much so that it only took one ******-up (Green v the USA) for it all to come flooding back and everything to fall apart. Trouble is, we have no players coming through at all! Meaning England at major tournaments may become a major rarity over the next ten years.

PS. Heskey? I'm fine with him being in the squad. I'm not at all fine with us playing two up front, and doubt I ever will be where England are concerned.

It's really strange to see someone moaning on kickback and then turn on the radio to hear the same person moaning about the same things.teehee.gif

shaun.lawson

It's really strange to see someone moaning on kickback and then turn on the radio to hear the same person moaning about the same things.teehee.gif

Apologies. I'm a man obsessed. :teehee:

SAF knows how to play him, where to play him and who to play him with.

Just like Van Nistelroy, Cole, Yorke, Teddy, McClair etc etc.

Capello is having a mair.

Guest Red Mist

Well I'm sure when Rooney hands back the fat pay cheque he didn't earn the fat painted man will be ever so grateful.

United pay his wages, not the Ingurland clown. He, amongst others, would do well to remember that.

Two days before the match, Rooney expressed confidence that England would beat Algeria, saying England could "not be at [their] best and win the game".

But he cut a disgruntled figure as he trudged off the pitch, saying to a TV camera: "Nice to see your own fans booing you, that's what loyal support is."

And...

However, Manchester City's Barry said he sympathised with the frustrations of the travelling England fans.

"It's a long way to come out here, they want the best for us and so do we," Barry told BBC Sport.

"They want to see us qualify and extend their stay out here. We need one more push to do it for the fans."

Two players, same team, same game.

Harry Palmer

Rooney is another Gerrard.....

Mind you I'll continue to enjoy Gerrard moments...... :thumbsup:

Manure relied on him and now England rely on him......Under pressure. :sweat:

Only a Game

As far as Rooney is concerned. I dont think he's fit. Whats more I think Capello and the backroom staff knew he wasnt fit. He got a foot injury in the last few weeks of the domestic season that he "recovered" suspiciously quickly from. They simply couldnt leave him behind because of the huge impact on morale that would have had.

I think they will now need to put their hands up, take him out of the team (probably using the excuse that his head isnt right because of his after match comments blah blah blah) and they'll have to start with Defoe (who looked quite sharp for the little time he was on tonight) and a 5 man midfield, with Crouch coming on for the last 20 minutes if they are struggling.

Rooney is just one of those players who HAS to be 100% fit or he just wont have the same impact. Its been seen with him time and time again.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Sadly England will qualify and by some mystery manage to blag there way to the Semi final were they will play the 1 decent game of their campaign and lose on penalties.

They will then be heralded as the best England side of all time and all the players will be knighted, more importantly they will win the BBC team of the year.

Sad but true.

Guest Dipped Flake

What a great day of football yesterday was. The USA game was fantastic, then england are absolute garbage, their fans booing them off the pitch and rooney having a go at them. Carlsberg don't do days at the World cup but if they did!!!!!

p.s. stll think england will qualify, probably as group winners but I'll just enjoy the next few days of media bashing

Seymour M Hersh

SAF knows how to play him, where to play him and who to play him with.

Just like Van Nistelroy, Cole, Yorke, Teddy, McClair etc etc.

Capello is having a mair.

Have to disagree. I personally think he's playing a stormer!! :lol:

Capello is doing an excellent job with the limited players available. Remember all the hype and bulljobbies about how good England, England's players and England's Premier League is comes from yup, the English media and fans. You do have the most talented squad in the group you are in, but because you hype these players up so much (witness ITV's ludicrous team line up montage), they've forgotten the fundamental rule of football is that you have to win the battle on the pitch first and foremost, prior to being able to play any football.

Harry Palmer

I said on the match thread that Englandshire will console themselves with the fact Germany lost...

Strange, I thought it was only Scotland that celebrated another nation losing. :teehee:

grumpyjambo

I'd have said the same tbf. Should never boo your own no matter what the situation.

After spending money to go to Zagreb I certainly felt like booing!

After spending money to go to Zagreb I certainly felt like booing!

Heskey. Nothing else.

jamboinglasgow

I said on the match thread that Englandshire will console themselves with the fact Germany lost...

Strange, I thought it was only Scotland that celebrated another nation losing. :teehee:

Thats the thing though. The English have ABG and then go for us having ABE.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Maybe I am small minded, arrogant and extremely smug but...

I enjoyed that soooooooo much, absolutely hilarious!

My favourite part is (as always) the 'change' the line that Tyldsley and Andy O' Townsend cross... You know what i mean... They start of all...

"ENGLAND EXPECTS"

"PROSPECTIVE WORLD CHAMPIONS"

"ALGERIAN MINNOWS"

"TEAMS LIKE ALGERIA"

... and then very suddenly descend into...

"ALGERIA HAVE BEEN THE BETTER SIDE FOR THE LAST FEW MINUTES"

"ALGERIA LOOK A BETTER SIDE THAN ANYONE THOUGHT"

"ALGERIA HAVE BEEN THE BETTER SIDE IN THIS HALF"

... and then the final line is crossed as acceptance slowly begins to dawn and realism rears it's ugly head, only to be brushed aside in place of blame tossing...

"WHAT DO YOU THINK HAS WENT WRONG TONIGHT ANDY"

"ALGERIA ARE NO MUGS CLIVE"

"IS CAPELLO SETTING THE TEAM UP PROPERLY"

"IS CAPELLO MOTIVATING THE PLAYERS RIGHT ANDY"

"DOES CAPELLO UNDERSTAND WHAT MANAGING ENGLAND IS ALL ABOUT ANDY"

"WHY DO PLAYERS AT TOTTENHAM REPLICATE THEIR CLUB FORM FOR ENGLAND WHEN MAN UTD AND LIVERPOOL PLAYERS DO NOT ANDY"

"CAN WE BLAME THE BALL ANDY?"

"SHOULD HE HAVE PICKED HESKEY ANDY"

Not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with all of this of course... Just that it amuses me greatly!! :lol:

It`s baffling really?

I`m not knocking Algeria, they had the right attitude and fought for the cause, they had two or three decent players but overall are an average side giving their all...

But for England..as the commentators say, alot of their players come up against stronger individuals and teams week to week in domestic or European football.

I would agree that they are still slightly overated but the long and short of it is that they have a severe attitude problem in the white of England and find it hard to replicate the confident , open displays alot of their players normally produce.

You could argue that they have to handle the pressure put on them by the media hype and their fans also, but that`s were i think every section has to have a look at themselves and realise it`s about quiet optimism and not cocky, dismissing paper headlines that galvanise a football team to go and win football games.

Scotland is just as bad. Our press still think we have Dalglish`s and Law`s to put in the team.

Harry Palmer

Excellent post Mothy.

:lol:

Who'll be next for Ingurland? Beckham? Pearce? Some other overpaid diddy?

What struck me about last night was that it was Capello that got it in the neck. It was his fault! HE picked the wrong players, HIS tactics were wrong, HE was not flexible, HE had not motivated the players, is there unrest in the camp and if so why has HE not sorted it out.

The English print and TV media seem to never blame the players?. Capello is a great manager and by all accounts made England over perform in qualifying. MacLean, despite dodge accents, got Middlesbrough to UEFA final and won the Dutch league with Twenty! Not exactly a poor manager. Sven, despite the myth, over performed as manager in getting them to 2 WC Qfs.

England just don?t have the players?.. And if you think they do, do you really think a team with Terry, Carragher and James at the back is world class????

Al

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Excellent post Mothy.

:lol:

Who'll be next for Ingurland? Beckham? Pearce? Some other overpaid diddy?

You might be on to something there... Beckham, with a coaching staff of P Diddy and Tom Cruise?

monkfish1979

Maybe I am small minded, arrogant and extremely smug but...

I enjoyed that soooooooo much, absolutely hilarious!

My favourite part is (as always) the 'change' the line that Tyldsley and Andy O' Townsend cross... You know what i mean... They start of all...

The attitude you describe is exactly the reason that I will watch every England match ever shown in my lifetime. Yes it's bitter and small minded, but it is also absolutely hilarious. I remember sitting in a pub in Wakefield, wearing a Romanian strip with the name "Petrescu" on the back, when Keegan spoke the words;

"Only one team can win this now - England....."

Never have I left a place so quickly nor have I laughed so much as I did but a split second later.

Their arrogance is astounding, as is their belief that they deserve success.

The attitude you describe is exactly the reason that I will watch every England match ever shown in my lifetime. Yes it's bitter and small minded, but it is also absolutely hilarious. I remember sitting in a pub in Wakefield, wearing a Romanian strip with the name "Petrescu" on the back, when Keegan spoke the words;

"Only one team can win this now - England....."

Never have I left a place so quickly nor have I laughed so much as I did but a split second later.

Their arrogance is astounding, as is their belief that they deserve success.

This. Nobody deserves by right to be successful. You have to earn it. I know we are a small nation, but if any of our commentators were ever as patronising about Algeria yesterday as their pundits were, I'd be disgusted.

Aah, the gold old fashioned faux moral outrage of the footy fan

It wasnt so long ago the outraged wee souls on this thread were berating our fans for booing our team and what did we expect if they didnt perform.

Same old double standards on here as ever

Archived