index.dat

JamboFamily

Mark_Mywords

Internet explorer v4-v6 did use several index.dat files. You can clear them by using various utilities. index.dat Analyser is quite good and it's free.

Internet Explorer 7 has changed the way it uses the index.dat files. It still records the information within them, but it DOES remove all the information from the various index.dat files when you delete the browsing history (all) VIA tools. I have checked this out myself and it does indeed delete the records.

Having said that I've gone off Internet Explorer due to the constant security and performance problems. Firefox and Thunderbird is the way to go.

Back to the OP.... I would be surprised that it is the index.dat files that are slowing your pc down, unless they are fragmented to hell.

Here is a link to the Index.dat Analyser ... by the way it only works with XP and IE6/7. There may be better utilities out there, but I like this one.

http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php

JamboFamily
Internet explorer v4-v6 did use several index.dat files. You can clear them by using various utilities. index.dat Analyser is quite good and it's free.

Internet Explorer 7 has changed the way it uses the index.dat files. It still records the information within them, but it DOES remove all the information from the various index.dat files when you delete the browsing history (all) VIA tools. I have checked this out myself and it does indeed delete the records.

Having said that I've gone off Internet Explorer due to the constant security and performance problems. Firefox and Thunderbird is the way to go.

Back to the OP.... I would be surprised that it is the index.dat files that are slowing your pc down, unless they are fragmented to hell.

Here is a link to the Index.dat Analyser ... by the way it only works with XP and IE6/7. There may be better utilities out there, but I like this one.

http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php

is there one 4 vista

Archived