marillion

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

okay fish is a hobo but you have to hand it to him his lyrics are and stile of writing are thought provoking and from the heart, the one album that i admire for his lyrics is SCRIPT FOR A JESTERS TEAR,remember reading a interview he gave and he admitted some songs were influenced by J.R.R. TOLKIEN , marillion was taken from the book by Tolkien the Silmarillion . :cup:

maroonlegions
okay fish is a hobo but you have to hand it to him his lyrics are and stile of writing are thought provoking and from the heart, the one album that i admire for his lyrics is SCRIPT FOR A JESTERS TEAR,remember reading a interview he gave and he admitted some songs were influenced by J.R.R. TOLKIEN , marillion was taken from the book by Tolkien the Silmarillion . :cup:

aye i know a few spelling mistakes.:rolleyes:

I saw him last night in Liquid Room, was a good show and he's still a good performer. It was the first time I had heard his solo stuff and it didn;t do much for me to be honest. He played 4 or 5 songs from Clutching At Straws which was Marillion at it's peak for me, cracking album

maroonlegions
I saw him last night in Liquid Room, was a good show and he's still a good performer. It was the first time I had heard his solo stuff and it didn;t do much for me to be honest. He played 4 or 5 songs from Clutching At Straws which was Marillion at it's peak for me, cracking album

My brother and his mate were in Haddows for some beer years ago and they got talking to him and when he realized that it was my brothers mates birthday he bought them a carry out of beer, nice man. :welldone:

Carl Fredrickson

Despite his taste in football teams, he is a top bloke. A guy who gets to "live the dream" but he has worked hard for his success. He does a shedload of gigs for charities/communties etc that often goes unreported.

He has went through quite a bit of bad news in the last few years but I hope he keeps writing and gigging.

My early changed saw me receive Reel To Reel as a gift and I loved it. Plus the fact that his dad owned a local garage - it meant someone famous was within touching distance of us. Meant a lot to a star struck teenager...

davemclaren

I used to know him when he worked as a forester up at Whitehill in the late 70s. Had a few drinking sessions with him and you could see how he earned his nickname.

He also used to come and watch the band I play in rehearse. Clearly I inspired him to greater things... :whistling:

When I was growing up and first listening to music Marillion were my favourite band. Used to be able to recite Misplaced Childhood from beginning to end!!

The Old Tolbooth

Kept this quiet until now but I loved Marillion when I was a teenager, I had all their stuff and especially liked Fugazi and Script for a jesters tear, top notch stuff.

CompleteIdiot

I am playing some Marillion on itunes I ripped ages ago. It's sounding good.

Heart of Lothian is a great track. I am pretty sure Fish was the only Scot in Marillion, so I am not sure how he got them to record it. It really reminds me of the 80/90s Edinburgh I grew up in as opposed to the one now which seems to have no cultural identity at all.

Kayleigh. Do you remember?

he hired my karaoke gear years ago, or rather his then wife, tammy did.

VERY nice bloke, and his wife was fab too

biggest christmas tree i've ever seen in a home too lol

a wee random aside though, i went to the same school as he did (dalkeith high (spit))

I was walking in the park, dreaming of a spark. Quality.

i think dostoyevski wrote that you know

whats with the new avatar?? i never recognised you there

CompleteIdiot
i think dostoyevski wrote that you know

whats with the new avatar?? i never recognised you there

Now you're all Russian and intellectual? :biggrin:

I just thought I would go off on a tangent. It's funny the way life works out. You start off knowing nothing. Then, after a long time of learning, everyone thinks you know nothing. If I had stopped half way, I'd be a genius. :biggrin:

Now you're all Russian and intellectual? :biggrin:

:biggrin:

neither russian nor intellectual...

just not a very discerning reader, so i'll read almost anything. i liked dostoyevski though, the idiot was very funny

I was at the gig on Friday Night as well.

They played for two hours and gave the fans value for money.

It was the first time I had seen Fish or Marillion live since the Clutching at Straws tour at the Playhouse.

I think they played nearly the entire Clutching at Straws album, which was fantastic, but I didn't recognise the songs of the new album.

Only minor complaint would be that other than Clutching at Straws he left out far too much of his strongest material, both Marillion and solo. There were too many new songs played (about 7) but that was a minor gripe.

Fish was immense on stage. I liked the guitar solo in Cliche, and the band were very strong musicians.

heart of lothian
I was at the gig on Friday Night as well.

They played for two hours and gave the fans value for money.

It was the first time I had seen Fish or Marillion live since the Clutching at Straws tour at the Playhouse.

I think they played nearly the entire Clutching at Straws album, which was fantastic, but I didn't recognise the songs of the new album.

Only minor complaint would be that other than Clutching at Straws he left out far too much of his strongest material, both Marillion and solo. There were too many new songs played (about 7) but that was a minor gripe.

Fish was immense on stage. I liked the guitar solo in Cliche, and the band were very strong musicians.

Aye, know what you mean. It was Clutching at Straw's 20th anniversary (christ im getting old) so that was why he played most of it. Two years ago he played the full Misplaced Childhood album, superb.

He's getting great reviews for the new album so hopefully he'll get some airplay and make some money.

Yeah he was in fine form on Friday!

The only pity is that he had to be off stage by 10pm (or just back off) so he didn't get as much time to banter between songs!

New album is really good.

Still think his 2 best solo efforts are Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors and Fellini days (featuring the wonderful talents of John Wesley, now of Porcupine Tree).

Early Marillion was superb. All the way to Clutching....

I like the way he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Archived