10k Training programme advice

future is maroon

future is maroon

Can anyone recommend any good 10k training programmes?

I realise there will be lots of them available online but was more looking for someone of similar fitness level to myself and who has trained for a 10k to come up with a plan that worked for them.

My general level of fitness is ok as play 2 games of 5's a week and only really go mad on the drink on a Fri or Sat. I realise a stop/start game of football is totally different to constantly running though.

ring-of-fire

Take it your planning to run a 10k race of some kind?

If you are IMO the best way of training is high intensity interval training; sprint at 70% for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds etc; it allows your body to intake more oxygen and lowers your heart rate during the rest 30 so you can run at a higher intensity than if you just jogged for a minute. If you go out and run a couple miles every other night and once a week do a bigger run where you push yourself each week to run further, which is what most of the running programs will tell you to do, I dont think you'll see results as good as if you did HIIT. Works with rowing, cycling and swimming too.

Off the top of my head I cant remember what my program was but if you google HIIT you'll find a program which is pretty easy to follow (its always sprint then walk, not much to it) then once a week or even fortnight go out and do a larger run and you'll see the extra k's being added on each week. :thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

...if you google HIIT you'll find a program which is pretty easy to follow (its always sprint then walk, not much to it)...

It's not really. I do sprints and jogs, but with the jogs being longer (for instance, one minute sprints followed by two minute jogs). Also worth pointing out that HIIT doesn't necessarily need to be running, you can do it with any form of cardiovascular exercise.

To the OP: if running and cardio type stuff's the only training that you'll be doing (no weights or anything like that), I'd say about two days of HIIT a week along with maybe one or two longer runs where you're aiming for endurance. You can't train for an endurance run on only HIIT.

Don't know how long you've got to get ready, but I didn't find it took very long to get up to 10k. That's on a run every week or two, two days of HIIT and two days of upper body a week.

Edit: The upper body stuff doesn't really help at all with running, obviously.

I used the jog scotland programme, if you want I can email it to you, it works on the basis of just building up your distance gradually, worked for me. I guess you'd need to go for a run see how long/far you can go and just start at that point on the programme.

www.myasics.co.uk also lets you design a (free) custom programme I did one for myself but found it too hard to stick to as other commitments kept getting in the way.

Bert Le Clos

The majority of that is referring to sprinting, not long distance.

While it wouldn't do any real harm to do upper body work, putting on to much muscle up top definitely has a negative impact on running long distance.

There's no need to carry any more weight than is neccessary.

If you're already playing 5 aside twice a week then you're already doing lots or repeated short sprint work anyway so the case for adding high intensity interval training (or some variant of it) isn't so strong, unless you play in goals.

While the sprinting in your football is going to help, you're also going to need to put some miles behind you at the kind of cruising pace that you'll be running the 10k at.

Archived