Recommend a good book.

Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

As it says.

I prefer Crime/Thriller types.

James Paterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Val Mcdermid etc etc but would give anything a bash.

Any suggestions?

:)

blondejamtart

Have you read any of Christopher Brookmyre's? They're very good - I can also recommend Harlan Coben as well.

Dirk Diggler
Have you read any of Christopher Brookmyre's? They're very good - I can also recommend Harlan Coben as well.

Attack of the rubber ducks or something is that him?

Not read it, Had it in my hand in Sainsburys one day but never put it in the trolly for some reason.

I've read a couple of Cobens novels both Myron Bolitar (just had to check) stories, I should read them in order though.

blondejamtart

I can also recommend Karin Slaughter's books, and Kathy Reichs are also good. If you like Scottish authors, Stuart McBride is good too. Ken McClure writes science-based crime novels which are mostly all set in and around the Edinburgh area and are worth a shot too. Paul Johnston's crime novels are set in an Edinburgh of the not-too-distant future and I also found them good.

Brokmyre is superb and also James lee Burke if it is crime you are after.

maroonlegions

From the Preface: COMMUNION by Whitley strieber.

"As I put pen to paper, it has been just a few months short of twenty-two years since the little beings I came to call ?the visitors? entered my life, inspiring Communion and four books that followed, Transformation, Breakthrough, Confirmation and the Secret School and changing my life more completely that I could have dreamed.

After I published Communion, I had the humbling experience of receiving letters from over half a million people from around the world who had encountered similar beings. In the eleven years that we lived in the tiny community in upstate New York where the encounters took place, many people who came to one or the other of the two cabins we had there encountered the visitors in various ways, also. It was not a result of some sort of psychological or physical disorder. The encounters were real, they were extensive, and they were gloriously illuminating to everyone who had one."

And then he takes us through the thrilling, powerful and ultimately heart-rending story of what happened to him and his family behind the scenes after Communion was published

mind blowing book , too many independent witnesses to dismiss off hand , very well written and backed up with the above and countless similar experiences from 1000s of people around the world, worth a read.

Dirk Diggler
From the Preface: COMMUNION by Whitley strieber.

"As I put pen to paper, it has been just a few months short of twenty-two years since the little beings I came to call ?the visitors? entered my life, inspiring Communion and four books that followed, Transformation, Breakthrough, Confirmation and the Secret School and changing my life more completely that I could have dreamed.

After I published Communion, I had the humbling experience of receiving letters from over half a million people from around the world who had encountered similar beings. In the eleven years that we lived in the tiny community in upstate New York where the encounters took place, many people who came to one or the other of the two cabins we had there encountered the visitors in various ways, also. It was not a result of some sort of psychological or physical disorder. The encounters were real, they were extensive, and they were gloriously illuminating to everyone who had one."

And then he takes us through the thrilling, powerful and ultimately heart-rending story of what happened to him and his family behind the scenes after Communion was published

mind blowing book , too many independent witnesses to dismiss off hand , very well written and backed up with the above and countless similar experiences from 1000s of people around the world, worth a read.

No Smilies?

:sad:

maroonlegions
No Smilies?

:sad:

ha,ha, true but i have read all of his books and they do stand up to pretty much a lot of debunking and ridicule from critics but i thought the smilies on offer just did not stand up to the intensity of the book , just could not put it down, mmmm, this smiley comes close :zip:

I think Brookmyre has went off the boil a bit.Early stuff was great.So so now.

Try Henning Mankell Wallander novels.

Go back in time and read the Raymond Chandler novels. They are about a detective called Phillip Marlowe and all the Humphrey Bogart movies were based on them.

They are stunningly well written and a joy to read (for someone like me who doesn't really enjoy battling thru a book)

Most modern detective novels lean heavily on Chandler.

"The Big Sleep", "Lady in the Lake", "The Long Goodbye" are 3 for starters.

The White Cockade

Inspector Banks books by Peter Robinson

also Mark Billingham and of course Rebus/Skinner

Rick Grimes

for a couple of different kinds of book

Life on Air, David Attenborough. He's had a ridiculously interesting life.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown. The story of the last days of the Wild West from the POV of the original residents.

Last 2 books I've read

The Fruits of War - thought this was going to be an interesting discussion about the uses of military technology in civilian life. But it was hopeless. Read like a list of inventions - whether or not they came from military use. Rubbish.

The 39 Steps - great short novel. Obviously is dated now but fair to say it sets the tone for all those Hollywood chase films. Good read.

Next up for me I think is A Farewell to Alms. Book on economic history.

Rick Grimes
Last 2 books I've read

The Fruits of War - thought this was going to be an interesting discussion about the uses of military technology in civilian life. But it was hopeless. Read like a list of inventions - whether or not they came from military use. Rubbish.

The 39 Steps - great short novel. Obviously is dated now but fair to say it sets the tone for all those Hollywood chase films. Good read.

Next up for me I think is A Farewell to Alms. Book on economic history.

good choice

Go back in time and read the Raymond Chandler novels. They are about a detective called Phillip Marlowe and all the Humphrey Bogart movies were based on them.

They are stunningly well written and a joy to read (for someone like me who doesn't really enjoy battling thru a book)

Most modern detective novels lean heavily on Chandler.

"The Big Sleep", "Lady in the Lake", "The Long Goodbye" are 3 for starters.

The Marlowe shorts are fantastic as well. One of my favourite writers. James M Cain is worth a look if you enjoy that type of book.

coppercrutch

I read this book a while back. Not a thriller by any means. Still very good.

"A Fan's notes" - Frederick Exley

Stewart MacD

I recently discovered Barry Eisler's series about John Rain, a half-Japanese, half-American freelance assassin. Well-written, violent but with quite a bit of humour. The hero also appreciates a good malt.

Carl Fredrickson
Inspector Banks books by Peter Robinson

also Mark Billingham and of course Rebus

I would agree with these - all cop stories with a gritty edge.

Colin Dexters Inspector Morse books are also worth a read - quite different character from the one played by John Thaw.

Blondejamtart also mentioned Karin Slaughter - I would second them too.

Another author I like is John Grisham - his earlier books were court room dramas but his last 5 or 6 have covered different themes.

One of my all time favourite books is A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving. A fantastic story about child hood friends growing up. Irving has wrote some other good books too - the Cider House Rules, The Fourth Hand, Hotel New Hampshire, The World According To Garp & Widow For A Year to name a few.

I suppose it all comes down to taste and what you fancy but thats some of my favs

One of my all time favourite books is A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving.

I now cringe every time I think about that book. One of the first times I met my wife I accidentally blurted out the ending to the book, little realising she was about 100 pages from the end having been reading it deliberately slowly as she was enjoying so much.

Many years later and she still reminds me of it.

A Prayer For Owen Meany is one of my favourite books of all time, cracking story, intricate characterisation, funny in a full of pathos type way.

I'm reading Harlan Coben (Deal Breaker) just now, it's not bad. I just finished Restless by Simon Kendrick which was okay too, but before that I read his book Severed which just blew me away. It was trash, but probably the best trash novel I've ever read. Fast like Amir Khan's hands and about as punchy, it makes page turner seem like a clich?. It has no merit, but it's an amazing ride. If you like a book that you want to read in a few short hours because you have to keep reading, you have to know what happens next, get hold of it, you won't be disappointed.

The governance of privacy, by Colin Bennett and Charles Raab.

Don't touch it with a 30-metre pole. :confused:

Try out the "Dalrymple" series by Paul Johnston.

Good old fashioned Noir Private Eye crime thillers, yet set in an Edinburgh of the very near future (the 2020s).

Society has collapsed and Britain is a collection of independant city-states.

The Festival is 24/7/365. Princess St Gardens has a racecourse in it. Public ownership of cars is illegal.

It's all very dark but damned good fun.

Stewart MacD
The governance of privacy, by Colin Bennett and Charles Raab.

Don't touch it with a 30-metre pole. :confused:

Likewise "London Bridges" by James Patterson. One of these authors who bulks up a book by having a new chapter every few pages.

Dirk Diggler
You finished all your Mayfairs and Fiestas then TBTR?

Lol @ 'mayfair' and 'fiesta'.

You make me laugh JM.

;)

Dirk Diggler
Likewise "London Bridges" by James Patterson. One of these authors who bulks up a book by having a new chapter every few pages.

I know what you are saying however 'London Bridges' was very enjoyable imo.

Start at 'Along came a spider' ;)

Not a big one for the crime / detective genres, but if you haven't done so, check out Complicity by Ian Banks.

It's a decent read.

The Wasp Factory by the same author is better though. The most mental, twisted, demented twist in the tale i've ever read.

For crime thrillers, anything by Michael Connelly.

Yup, go along with that although the first 100 pages can be a bit slow but once you get past that you are hooked.

Also enjoy Martina Cole and Minnette Walters

Stewart MacD
I know what you are saying however 'London Bridges' was very enjoyable imo.

Start at 'Along came a spider' ;)

I will give him another go.

Conn Iggulden is an excellent author. Done a series on Julius Ceaser which was excellent, and now into book two of a series about Ghengis Khan...which is superb also. Would reccommend those!

Angel of vengeance by Ron Cutler is pretty good.

Someone else mentioned (quite rightly) Michael Connelly. His best (in my opinion) is The Poet.

Archived