in the name of the father

superjack

just started watching this film and it has got me thinking.

i would really love to hear from the police point of view on the guildford bombings and not just the alleged terrorists.

i served in the forces during "the troubles" (if it was happening in any other country , we would be calling it civil war) and i know 1 thing for sure.

every family living in these estates , if they were not involved directly in the "war" , they would have turned an eye to an attack on an innocent soldier or RUC man so therefore deserved a term inside anyways.

please discuss.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ridiculous comment!

I grew up in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. It wasn't a Civil War, although is convenient these days for people to call it that.

just started watching this film and it has got me thinking.

i would really love to hear from the police point of view on the guildford bombings and not just the alleged terrorists.

i served in the forces during "the troubles" (if it was happening in any other country , we would be calling it civil war) and i know 1 thing for sure.

every family living in these estates , if they were not involved directly in the "war" , they would have turned an eye to an attack on an innocent soldier or RUC man so therefore deserved a term inside anyways.

please discuss.

incredible... so we'll hand out sentences to people based on what they may be thinking or might do in the future??.....hmmm Orwell would have a field day with that.

Auld Reekin'

incredible... so we'll hand out sentences to people based on what they may be thinking or might do in the future??.....hmmm Orwell would have a field day with that.

This is pretty much what the current anti-terrorism legislation tries to do (the conviction of the asian student "terrorist" from Alva or Alloa or somewhere around there being an example, although he was freed after successfully appealing this), so we're there already!

The police in the guildford pub bombings investigation were under enormous pressure from the then government to bring the perpetrators to justice as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this pressure resulted in them cutting corners and being very unprofessional in their investigation. They took the same view as the OP: "they're Irish, so they'll do...". Any portrayal of the investigation from their perspective would not be edifying viewing and would not show them in a good light at all.

This is pretty much what the current anti-terrorism legislation tries to do (the conviction of the asian student "terrorist" from Alva or Alloa or somewhere around there being an example, although he was freed after successfully appealing this), so we're there already!

The police in the guildford pub bombings investigation were under enormous pressure from the then government to bring the perpetrators to justice as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this pressure resulted in them cutting corners and being very unprofessional in their investigation. They took the same view as the OP: "they're Irish, so they'll do...". Any portrayal of the investigation from their perspective would not be edifying viewing and would not show them in a good light at all.

Granted the government put pressure on the police, however the methods and coercion used by the police to secure convictions was just staggering, im sure at one point they were toying with the idea of charging the Guildford 4 with treason, at this point treason was still punishable by death, a point which the trail judge made in his summing up, saying he was disappointed that they hadn't been charged with it....all 4 would have been dead and no one any the wiser to the corruption and the utter contempt that the law enforcers had shown for the law

Auld Reekin'

Granted the government put pressure on the police, however the methods and coercion used by the police to secure convictions was just staggering, im sure at one point they were toying with the idea of charging the Guildford 4 with treason, at this point treason was still punishable by death, a point which the trail judge made in his summing up, saying he was disappointed that they hadn't been charged with it....all 4 would have been dead and no one any the wiser to the corruption and the utter contempt that the law enforcers had shown for the law

Indeed: not a high-point in British legal history.

Archived