Interview Help needed

adam1998

Hi there,

Looking for a bit of help trying to find an old thread.

The wife has an interview on Monday and there was a cracking thread giving great advice from fellow jambos several months ago-(Would've been good to have kept it as a sticky)

Does anyone have a link?

Much appreciated :)

Walter Payton
Hi there,

The wife has an interview on Monday and there was a cracking thread giving great advice from fellow jambos several months ago-(Would've been good to have kept it as a sticky)

Does anyone have a link?

It's gone mate, it would have been on the old server. We could always start a new one though-

1. Don't have an Indian takeaway the night before an interview.

Hope this helps...

Jambojohnnyboy

Are you referring to the thread on competancy based interviews?

If so answers should be structured in a way so as you can tell the panel:

What the situation was

what the objective was

what the actions you took were

what the result was

and then on reflection what you may have done differently if faced with it again.

It's gone mate, it would have been on the old server. We could always start a new one though-

1. Don't have an Indian takeaway the night before an interview.

Hope this helps...

:food-smiley-004: Cheers m8, I have some information on the STAR technique but the quality of example CBI questions on that old thread were great.

Interviews is a topic that will always be brought up every now and again-Sticky please MODS.

coppercrutch

(1)Research the company. Not in too much detail to seem like a psycho but enough to show you have bothered to look (High level understanding of what the company does)

(2) Relax. Easier said than done but very important. The more confident and in control you appear the more likely they will be impressed by whatever you have to say.

(3) Be honest. If they mention something in the interview that you don't have a clue about just ask 'What is that?'. People seem very afraid to admit when they don't know something. I however think people respect if you have the balls to come out and confidently admit you don't know something. Honesty is always a great selling point.

(4) As the previous poster states go through previous work experiences/situations in your head prior to the interview. Get them fresh in your mind so when asked the question it rolls off your tongue.

(5) Ask them questions. If you are really interested in the job you will have questions to ask. Possibility of promotions etc... Show you are confident and keen. But don't overdo it, one or 2 questions would be perfect.

(6) Ask when you can expect to hear if you have been successful. Again just to cement the fact you are keen & confident.

(7) Get the job. :welldone:

Are you referring to the thread on competancy based interviews?

If so answers should be structured in a way so as you can tell the panel:

What the situation was

what the objective was

what the actions you took were

what the result was

and then on reflection what you may have done differently if faced with it again.

Cheers for this-Yeah that was the thread i was referring too. There were a few guys that used to be 'Interviewers' that gave an insight to what they looked for when interviewing.

i.e First Impression-(Look them in the eye and give a confident handshake) etc...

I think having several good CBI examples in you're head prior to going into the interview and knowing a bit about the company are essential however any advice from anyone before Monday is well appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

(1)Research the company. Not in too much detail to seem like a psycho but enough to show you have bothered to look (High level understanding of what the company does)

(2) Relax. Easier said than done but very important. The more confident and in control you appear the more likely they will be impressed by whatever you have to say.

(3) Be honest. If they mention something in the interview that you don't have a clue about just ask 'What is that?'. People seem very afraid to admit when they don't know something. I however think people respect if you have the balls to come out and confidently admit you don't know something. Honesty is always a great selling point.

(4) As the previous poster states go through previous work experiences/situations in your head prior to the interview. Get them fresh in your mind so when asked the question it rolls off your tongue.

(5) Ask them questions. If you are really interested in the job you will have questions to ask. Possibility of promotions etc... Show you are confident and keen. But don't overdo it, one or 2 questions would be perfect.

(6) Ask when you can expect to hear if you have been successful. Again just to cement the fact you are keen & confident.

(7) Get the job. :welldone:

Brilliant advice-I'll post after her interview to let you all know if the advice worked

Jambojohnnyboy

One word of advice, although you may be part of a team the interview is about you, so remember when you use the words 'we' or 'us' that you counter it with well placed 'I's. The interview is about what you do, not your team. Sell yourself.

coppercrutch
Brilliant advice-I'll post after her interview to let you all know if the advice worked

No problem. Let us know how it goes.

The above usually works for me. But not always.

That could be because I am ginger !!

All great advice above. I'll add one or two.

Make sure you (well, she in this case) uses examples. Real examples that will stand up to cross-examination - don't be tempted to make them up!

Don't be afraid to pause and think. In a competency based interview, you are being asked to pluck an example from mid-air from a lifetime of experience - it's natural to take a moment or two to think of the right example. So, when the interviewer says "Think of a time you've had to give difficult feedback to a fellow team member. What happened and how did you approach it? What was the outcome?", don't be afraid to say "Oh, that's an interesting question. Just give me a moment to think about it." rather than diving in with the wrong example. Likewise, if after giving one example, you think of a better one, don't be afraid to introduce it as well. "Oh, I've just thought of another time - can I tell you about it?".

As said in the thread above - use the mnemonic STAR.

Situation - what was the situation?

Task - what task did you have to undertake (or what was your objective, but that doesn't make a neat mnemonic!)

Action - what specific action did you identify and undertake? (This really has to be your personal contribution.)

Result - what was the result? What did you learn? What would you do differently next time?

Make sure you have a question for them. They are bound to say "any questions?". Rather than "how much holiday would I get" aim for something like "What are you looking for in a successful candidate?", "What would be expected of me to be successful in the role?", "What would my initial objectives be, and how would I know I was meeting them in my new role?".

Learn as much about the company and the role as possible. If a role description is available, read it and use the language from it in the interview. For example, if they say you will undergo a "three week induction" or a "new start training program", throw that into the interview. "Well, during my three week induction I would expect x" or "During my new start training program I would be looking to develop my skills in y".

PM me if you need to know any more!

I have a college interview on Tuesday... so nervous!

:(

Good luck with you're interview, hope this thread helps you too

Thanks again everyone, any advice is most welcome

:fing25:

Hi there,

Does anyone have a link?

this was my thread - it was on the old JKB - dont know how to get back onto it- but it was basically asking what questions people ge asked and how to structure your answers etc.

was a good thread, got some great tips and actually got the job!

good luck

Good luck with you're interview, hope this thread helps you too

Thanks again everyone, any advice is most welcome

:fing25:

Yeah the thread has been a good idea although I think I need a bottle of vodka before I go in haha.

Archived