Montreal/Quebec City

Denny Crane

Denny Crane

Off on holiday to Montreal and Quebec City for a week tomorrow and the usual JKB request for recommendations for sights to see, things to do, etc. Also one or two extra requests such as, how the hell does one get tickets for the Canadiens v Flyers game(s), where in Quebec City can I watch the Champions League final on Saturday and seeing as BBC iPlayer doesn't work abroad, any links to websites that will show a re-run of Friday's last-ever Ashes to Ashes? Knowing my luck with the last one, some swine will blurt out how it ends before I get back to Blighty.

Thanks as always in advance.

Off on holiday to Montreal and Quebec City for a week tomorrow and the usual JKB request for recommendations for sights to see, things to do, etc. Also one or two extra requests such as, how the hell does one get tickets for the Canadiens v Flyers game(s), where in Quebec City can I watch the Champions League final on Saturday and seeing as BBC iPlayer doesn't work abroad, any links to websites that will show a re-run of Friday's last-ever Ashes to Ashes? Knowing my luck with the last one, some swine will blurt out how it ends before I get back to Blighty.

Thanks as always in advance.

No chance of hockey tickets unless you are prepared to pay a fair whack I reckon.

There's a Canadiens Ticket Exchange run by Ticketmaster, just looked & there are no tickets for sale. If they lose tonight, there may be some that appear. http://www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com/NHL/montreal-canadiens-tickets/

The other main ticket resale site is http://www.stubhub.com/montreal-canadiens-tickets/?gcid=C12289x486&keyword=554355&creative=3667548572.

The Champions League game is being shown on Rogers Sportsnet here in Ontario, not sure about Montreal. However, game 4 of the playoff series Montreal v Philly is due for 3 pm start on Saturday - it'll be wall to wall that in bars I'd imagine.

According to their site the Montreal Impact (s..s..football team) are playing Fiorentina on May 23rd in a friendly. TFC beat the Impact twice earlier this season, they have a lovely pink away strip but don't hold that against them! http://www.montrealimpact.com/Statistics/Calendar.aspx?language=EN#

We've been watching Ashes to Ashes the next day on You Tube (Bye Little Lady). Dr Who on http://www.justin.tv/davros1#r=oj1JKgA~.

Enjoy your trip, p.s. there's been a fair bit of trouble in Montreal after the playoff games, shops getting trashed and looted, so keep an eye out for potential problems.

JamboInSouthsea

Always thought that the Montreal fans sounded a lot like a fitba crowd, didn't realise there was trouble after the games though. Wouldn't be best pleased after getting beaten 6-0 though still no excuse.

Have a good trip.

conn artist

good luck getting tickets for an ice hockey game. scalping outside the stadium would prob be the only chance.

in montreal go up to the french area (the plateau) for food. on mont royal there is a restaurant called l'avenue that does the best eggs benedict i have ever had. brilliant for a spot of brunch. can be a massive Q to get in if you time it wrong tho.

eat poutine when bevvied. its a hearts attack wating to happen but being scottish you'll survive. good places all over montreal but again up on mont royal there are a few good spots.

take the bus up what they call 'le montagne'. or what we would call a wee hill for views over montreal.

a cycle out to the island where they have the grand prix is good or you can just take the metro.

went to some random bars all over the place as was staying with ex-pat friends so cant really remember where they are all located. crescent street is the main drinking street downtown but never went there myself as the grand prix was on and the place was heaving with idiots from the states and eurotrash.

Denny Crane

Thank guys. Any info on Quebec City (especially boozers there to watch the CL final)?

Archived