F.A. in hot water over bribe claim

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

The English football authorities are in a right old sweat over their 2018 world cup bid due to Lord Triesman claiming that Spain are trying to bribe Russian referees in this years world cup, and in return Spain will pull out of the running to host the 2018 event and give more support to Russia's bid.

These comments were allegedly made when Lord Triesman thought no one was listening, however they were picked up on by a hack for the Mail on Sunday who printed the following "The Mail on Sunday quotes Triesman as saying: "There's some evidence that the Spanish football authorities are trying to identify the referees...and pay them"

The F.A. even went to the lengths of having the publication banned on privacy rights which suggests they may have something to hide, although in this day in age I wouldn't be surprised if there is any truth in this story because sport nowadays is rotten to the core.

Lord Triesman is expected to resign.

Seymour M Hersh

How many Russian refs are there going to be in SA? And how can Spain know who'll be allocated their games?

portobellojambo1

How many Russian refs are there going to be in SA? And how can Spain know who'll be allocated their games?

What he has actually said (apparently) is Spain will be targetting referees, to try and bribe (i.e. referees in general, not the sole Russian referee who will be there) and they are hoping Russia might help them do it.

In return Spain would pull out of the bid for 2018, and support the Russian bid.

The Old Tolbooth

All he has to do is show us the evidence.

It looks very much like the FA want nothing to do with this and would rather sweep it under the carpet, which suggests to me that there is very little evidence to back up his claims, I hope it doesn't detract from England's bid in any way as I'd actually like to see them get the World Cup, it would be pretty good going down there and taking in a few games.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

It looks very much like the FA want nothing to do with this and would rather sweep it under the carpet, which suggests to me that there is very little evidence to back up his claims, I hope it doesn't detract from England's bid in any way as I'd actually like to see them get the World Cup, it would be pretty good going down there and taking in a few games.

The pitch at Wembley has already cost Engurland the chance of the WC in 2018 allegedly.

The Old Tolbooth

The pitch at Wembley has already cost Engurland the chance of the WC in 2018 allegedly.

I heard Collymore ranting on about the state of the Wembley turf a few weeks back and he was on the verge of tears, it was really quite funny to listen to, but he was spot on with his comments which were along the lines of, how the hell can it cost so much money to build a "super stadium" and yet totally forget about the most important part of it, the pitch!

He thinks the new Wembley has been a complete waste of money and would liked to have revamped the old one, or built a much cheaper version and ploughed the remainder of the cash into grass roots football, he had some very good points.

Archived