Walter Smith

vegas-voss

Never ever really rated the guy and totally hate the ****er and the whole hun mob.But there comes a time when you just have to admit the guy is doing some job with what is really a very average squad(or so we keep telling ourselves).It's **** and ugly to watch but the results he has got against european opposition is some achievment.

Dirk Diggler

Credit where it's due, He's doing a terrific job there with some distinctly average players.

Hopefully that'll continue on Sunday.

Guest casper

Something I have been thinking for a while about our team was highlighted by the hun last night. The played 5 in midfield last night and not one of them was a recognised wide player/winger and every one of them contributed and took turns in combination at getting forward into their opponents box. The only people who got into wide positions high up the park were the fullbacks, particularly on the right, while one of the midfielders would cover in behind. It?s not all that pretty to watch but last night it was mighty effective.

We persist in playing wingers in wide midfield ? sometimes 2 - who contribute next to nothing to the team and leave us to be overrun in the middle of the park. Since Hartley left we have had nobody who makes runs into the opponents box and getting ahead of the forwards. Even if our fullbacks were capable of it they cannot really get forward because we have wide midfielders who are hogging the space in front of them.

Again, I reckon this shows the importance of a good experienced manager who can change the tactics to suit the opponents. Smith has shown, particularly in Europe, that he is very capable of doing this, something our committee and temp manager have failed miserably at.

To be fair, if I'd spent about ?15m in the last year I'd be expecting a reasonable amount of success too!

I can't understand how they score so many goals with what is such a neagtive formation. I mean the 4-5-1 is a great formation fi you are Arsenal for instance who have some fantastic midfielders and a great striker however Rangers players are not of the same quality.

WeeToonJambo
I can't understand how they score so many goals with what is such a neagtive formation. I mean the 4-5-1 is a great formation fi you are Arsenal for instance who have some fantastic midfielders and a great striker however Rangers players are not of the same quality.

It helps a bit if the opposition have a keeper who throws the ball into the net, or a referee who allows a player to control the ball with his hand before scoring. He tried it again last night as well!!!

I think one thing that Walter does have is great man management skills his ability to get players to pull together is a great talent that has been shown at national level and club level.

Oh how we could do with somone like that.

:sad:

Something I have been thinking for a while about our team was highlighted by the hun last night. The played 5 in midfield last night and not one of them was a recognised wide player/winger and every one of them contributed and took turns in combination at getting forward into their opponents box. The only people who got into wide positions high up the park were the fullbacks, particularly on the right, while one of the midfielders would cover in behind. It?s not all that pretty to watch but last night it was mighty effective.

We persist in playing wingers in wide midfield ? sometimes 2 - who contribute next to nothing to the team and leave us to be overrun in the middle of the park. Since Hartley left we have had nobody who makes runs into the opponents box and getting ahead of the forwards. Even if our fullbacks were capable of it they cannot really get forward because we have wide midfielders who are hogging the space in front of them.

Again, I reckon this shows the importance of a good experienced manager who can change the tactics to suit the opponents. Smith has shown, particularly in Europe, that he is very capable of doing this, something our committee and temp manager have failed miserably at.

You make a good point. But it is one which has been obvious for seasons now.:welldone: So long as we continue to play 2 wingers and 2 strikers (or a striker/hole player) when they are such a lightweight group we will struggle in the SPL.

Smith has done a very sensible job at Rangers. Empty the worst of the foreign players. Build his side around Scottish players who know what playing for Rangers/in the SPL is all about. Sign good quality young players who have been proven in the SPL. And find some Premiership journeymen to back it up.

We could do the same. Empty the worst of the loan players. Refocus by a player recruitment process which aims to take the best players from St Mirren, Falkirk, Dundee United etc - the way that Jefferies used to work. Add that to Premiership youngsters on loan and Championship/Division 1 experienced players. And the odd player from more exotic agent networks. But with the rotten pyramid scheme we use - we won't do that.

Archived