Loanee Report - Witteveen and McGowan

garethjambo

garethjambo

Decided to accompany a couple of my Morton supporting pals on Saturday to the Morton v Ayr Utd game, so thought I would do a wee report on both Witteveen and McGowan. There thoughts before the game was that Witteveen looked "decent", good at holding the ball up (!?) and seemed to be in the right place at the right time when it came to putting the ball in the back of the net. They did admit though that he looked very slow at times.

Decent atmosphere at the game with Ayr bringing about 600 fans along. Game started slow with nothing really happening in the opening exchanges, Witteveen seemed to hold the ball up quite well in the opening 20 mins but unfortunately an awful Donovan Simmons seemed to be in a completely different wave length from him!!. On the other hand Ayr started Ryan McGowan at right back and he looked pretty solid from the beginning. Ayr went ahead with a cracker from there no 9 but at that stage Morton couldn't play football with witteveen standing up front looking pretty bemused...... At the end of the half it was 1-0 with Witteveen not really having done anything apart from an awful 35 yard shot that nearly landed in the Clyde!.

The second half started a bit more frantic with McGowan looking like a cracking player..... my mate wished that he was playing for them! in particular there was one moment where he went on a bit of a meandering run into the box only to be foiled by the Morton keeper. Morton then scored two goals in fairly quick succession with Witteveen holding up the ball well for the second. He then had an absolute nightmare 10 minutes however where he had the chance to score 2 probably but with the wrong decision making, the chances went a begging......

All in all the quality of football on show was very poor but McGowan certainly showed some promise from that performance. Witteveen looked like he has found his level unfortunately and on that performance I really don't see what he can do in the SPL!? He looked pretty immobile all day and exactly as my mates said "very slow".....

The best part of the game was the pitch invasion/riot at the end of the game which involved about 10 morton and ayr fans fighting on the pitch!! was hillarious!!!

Cheers!

Archived