U19s v Motherwell

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The U19s went down 1-0 to Motherwell at Riccarton this afternoon. Darren Murray fielded a young side with 9 of the starting lineup eligible to play U19 next season.

Team (4-2-3-1)

J Hamilton

Mullen McCormack Balatoni (Walker) C Hamilton

Prychynenko Hill

McKenna (Petkus) Holt D Smith

Morton

Motherwell probably just edged the game on chances on what was a strangely disjointed performance, although Hearts did have a couple of decent penaltey claims. Their first touch, passing and decision making were all suspect at times. There were few chances in the first half with Hearts initially restricted to a couple of long range shots from Morton then Smith falling over the ball when in good position running into the box. Motherwell went ahead after 30 mins when McKenna lost the ball in the right wing position and Motherwell broke quickly down their left. A good cross found their striker, who had time to chest the ball down and finish neatly from 10 yards.

Hearts then lost Balatoni to a hamstring pull so it looks as if he has played his last U19 game. Walker substituted and DM swapped the positions around with Hill dropping back to CB and Walker playing up front. Walker looked to have won a penalty for Hearts, but the ref inexplicably gave a free kick outside the box. Even the Motherwell coach thought the foul was inside the box. From the resultant free kick Hamilton had an effort well saved and the rebound was knocked against the bar. That was the closest Hearts came to scoring.

The second half continued in the same vein, the Hearts seeing more of the ball but not really creating too many chances. Petkus replaced McKenna as DM changed things around once again. Hearts also had a couple of offside decisions go in their favour when it looked as if Motherwell had scored. The second penalty claim was for hand ball from a Smith cross but the ref gave a corner. Walker made a couple of decent runs late on but his efforts at goal were blocked.

Difficult to give a MOTM, but I'll go for Fraser Mullen, only because he didn't make as many mistakes as some of his colleagues. Walker also offered a little more going forward when he come on, but overall it was a disappointing performance. The last game of the season is now due on Friday against Celtic. I think Celtic have the Youth Cup final scheduled on Wednesday, so they may also put out a young team.

I noticed that national coach Billy Stark and Scott Gemmill were watching. Wee Craig Broon and Archie Knox were also in attendance. I believe that Hearts also had a bounce game scheduled against St Johnstone later today although I don't know where or when.

Mikey Gardiner

Sounded like it wasn't a great performance. As ever thanks for the report FF. 2 defeats in a row is not good. Hope they can bounce back next week.

Footballfirst

Sounded like it wasn't a great performance. As ever thanks for the report FF. 2 defeats in a row is not good. Hope they can bounce back next week.

There isn't a next week mate........ their final game of the season is on Friday.

Mikey Gardiner

There isn't a next week mate........ their final game of the season is on Friday.

Cheers for that i just thought it was next week. Well i hope they finish the season with a win.

Archived