U19 win at Hamilton

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

The young lads won away 2-1 at Hamilton Accies today with a late winner according to futbol24.

That's all i know but hopefully our yoof correspondants can provide more details later.

:)

Footballfirst

Hearts weren't at their most fluent today but recovered in the last 15 mins from a goal down to win 2-1. Jamie Walker was missing and Hearts started with Conrad Balatoni up front, who himself went off after 50 mins

Hearts lineup

Lyness

Mullen, McGowan, C Hamilton, Deland

D Thomson, Prychynenko, Holt, McKenna

Balatoni (Petkus), D Smith

Subs: J Hamilton ,Murdoch, McCormack, Hill, O'Hara, Morton, Petkus

Hearts had the better of the opening exchanges on a dry and fiery pitch at Rutherglem Glencairn's junior ground. Three chances fell the way of Jason Holt, but he sent the his first chipped effort just over and the keeper comfortably saved two shots that he tried to place rather than put his foot through the ball. Conrad Balatoni had a header blocked on the line and Danny Thomson hit a decent effort just over the bar. Hamilton' only counter in the 1st half was a glancing header from a set piece the Lyness tipped away to safety.

Early in the second half Dave Smith shot wide from a good position after Petkus set him up. After that Hearts fell out the game completely for a spell as Hamilton started winning challenges all over the park. They scored after approx 55 mins after a good pass from the right flank found Hopkirk making a run between in the inside left channel. He took the ball round the advancing Lyness and finished well. Lyness came to Hearts rescue 2 mins later making a good save as a Hamilton striker was allowed to run thraight through the centre of the defence. They might have scored again with a header that went just wide as Hearts continued to struggle.

Danny Thomson sparked Hearts revival with a turn and shot that went just over. Colin Hamilton then hit the post with a close in shot following a Mullen corner. Deland then delayed his shot when he had a good sight on goal, but immediately scored the equaliser from the resultant corner. He finished well from beyond the far post with a side-foot volley from Mullen's corner. Hearts sensed they might get a winner and hit Hamilton with a fast break when Petkus fed the ball into the path of Thomson's run, who finished well from 12 yards.

Hearts will be pleased to get the points from what wasn't their best performance of the season. Best for Hearts was Thomson, with decent contributions from Deland, Holt and McKenna.

WeeToonJambo

I'm just back from the game but, unfortunately, do not have the knowledge of our young players that our normal correspondent has. I didn't see him so I suspect you might have to put up with me. The game was played in very difficult conditions with a strong wind blowing across the pitch. Despite this both teams tried to play football the way it should be played. (I thought I was watching Hibs at one point!) Hearts were the better team in the first half without posing much of a threat. Hamilton took the lead against the run of play about 10 minutes into the second half after a mix-up in the Hearts defence. For a spell after that they were the better team and looked as if they might extend their lead but some good defending and one excellent save from the goalkeeper, Lyness, kept them out. The equalizer came from a corner and was scored by Michael Deland with about ten minutes to go. Hearts pressed for a winner and it came near the end with a smart shot from Danny Thomson. It was interesting to see Conrad Balatoni playing up front until he was subbed near the start of the second half. Ones who caught the eye were Billy McKenna who never stopped from start to finish, Danny Thomson (needs to be a bit less greedy on the ball), Prychnenko (I assume it was him with the number 6), very solid and unlucky to be booked after having been warned earlier, Jason Holt, who caused their defence a lot of trouble, Hamilton (don't know which one) at left back. Really, there wasn't a bad performance, just some who stood out more than others. The big lad who came on for Conrad, Petkus I think, was much improved from when I saw him against Hibs and seemed more aware of what was going on round about him. He set up the goal for Danny Thomson.

I'm sorry I can't be a bit more specific on the other players but, since they dropped the reserve league, I don't get a chance to see them so often.

It was interesting to note that our Director of Football was there, taking notes, along with the translator.

After posting this I found that Football First was, indeed, at the game, so my report can be ignored!

Footballfirst

I'm just back from the game but, unfortunately, do not have the knowledge of our young players that our normal correspondent has. I didn't see him so I suspect you might have to put up with me. The game was played in very difficult conditions with a strong wind blowing across the pitch. Despite this both teams tried to play football the way it should be played. (I thought I was watching Hibs at one point!) Hearts were the better team in the first half without posing much of a threat. Hamilton took the lead against the run of play about 10 minutes into the second half after a mix-up in the Hearts defence. For a spell after that they were the better team and looked as if they might extend their lead but some good defending and one excellent save from the goalkeeper, Lyness, kept them out. The equalizer came from a corner and was scored by Michael Deland with about ten minutes to go. Hearts pressed for a winner and it came near the end with a smart shot from Danny Thomson. It was interesting to see Conrad Balatoni playing up front until he was subbed near the start of the second half. Ones who caught the eye were Billy McKenna who never stopped from start to finish, Danny Thomson (needs to be a bit less greedy on the ball), Prychnenko (I assume it was him with the number 6), very solid and unlucky to be booked after having been warned earlier, Jason Holt, who caused their defence a lot of trouble, Hamilton (don't know which one) at left back. Really, there wasn't a bad performance, just some who stood out more than others. The big lad who came on for Conrad, Petkus I think, was much improved from when I saw him against Hibs and seemed more aware of what was going on round about him. He set up the goal for Danny Thomson.

I'm sorry I can't be a bit more specific on the other players but, since they dropped the reserve league, I don't get a chance to see them so often.

It was interesting to note that our Director of Football was there, taking notes, along with the translator.

After posting this I found that Football First was, indeed, at the game, so my report can be ignored!

No reason to ignore it. Your report is in line with the way that I saw the game, so that's a bonus.

Footballfirst

As a footnote to today's game, Hibs U19s also played and lost 2-0 at home to Rangers in the last game of their season, leaving them, level on points and goal difference with St Johnsone at the bottom, but one goal ahead in terms of goals scored. However, St Johnstone have 3 games to play and hopefully will get a point that will leave Hibs bottom. rolleyes.gif

How the mighty have fallen, from a league and cup double last season, to bottom of the table and knocked out the youth cup by Livingston. Methinks the conveyor belt is well and trully broken. whistling.gif

Footballfirst

Jamie Walker injured? If so, a bad one?

Not that I'm aware of. He hurt his back a couple of weeks ago and was taken off against Falkirk U19s, but has played for both the U19s and U17s since. He took a knock early on in the U17 game against Kilmarnock on Sunday but seemed fo run it off ok, although he was feeling his hip area before he went off after about 60 mins of that game.

Mikey Gardiner

Great result for the u19's. I will need to try and get up to see some of their games sometime as they seem great to watch. I might try and get to the u19's games next season, they seem quite enjoyable to go along to.

jamboinglasgow

Good to hear of another win for the wee JTs.

Sounds like Billy McKenna is starting to show his ability, wonder what will happen with him. Holt and Thomson showing the form they have showed all season, and Deland continuing his journey back to his previous potential.

I should be at the last 3 U19 games of the season (the last one will mean missing some of the first half of the derby.) Hopefully we finish with a strong set of results though we realistically cant finish higher then 7th (though it is possible to finish 6th but it requires Hearts to win their last 3 games and Aberdeen to lose their last 2 and also the 9 goal difference that is in Aberdeens advantage at the moment.) However I would say that this has been a funny season for the U19s, between November and early March there was not a single home game at Riccarton and between November and the end of Febuaray we only played 5 games in four months, so they have had a very lop sided season of when to play games.

Plus YPotY is on Sunday, so interesting to see who gets which prize. I do think Eggy will get the main prize with Craig Thomson the outside bet.

U19 I do think will go to Danny Thomson, though dont discount Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, Conrad Balatoni or even Scott Robinson.

U17 I do feel will go to one of Jamie Walker or even Jason Holt retaining the prize. But I am not as informed on the best players in the U17s as the U19s but Chris Kane could be a strong one from that team, so could Aaron Murdoch, Billy King, Sam Todd and a few others.

What do others think?

Footballfirst

Plus YPotY is on Sunday, so interesting to see who gets which prize. I do think Eggy will get the main prize with Craig Thomson the outside bet.

U19 I do think will go to Danny Thomson, though dont discount Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, Conrad Balatoni or even Scott Robinson.

U17 I do feel will go to one of Jamie Walker or even Jason Holt retaining the prize. But I am not as informed on the best players in the U17s as the U19s but Chris Kane could be a strong one from that team, so could Aaron Murdoch and a few others.

What do others think?

As far as YPOTY is concerned, I think the overall prize should go to Eggy. It then depends on how the age awards are assessed. If the vote is for the best U19 player at the club, then obviously C Thomson, G Smith and S Robinson would have to be high on the list, with CT the favourite. However if it is awarded to the best player playing U19 football, then I would probably go for Danny Thomson or Jason Holt. Similarly at U17 level I would go for Jason Holt or Chris Kane.

At U19 level I'm sure that Mikey Deland and Conrad Balatoni will also be on the short list. Jamie Walker had a terrific first half to the season but has been less effective in the 2nd half, while Jason Holt had a quiet start, but has got better and better as the season progressed.

Among the other U17s (playing U17s), Aaron Murdoch, Fraser Mullen and Chris Tobin have all been consistently good over the season.

WeeToonJambo

As far as YPOTY is concerned, I think the overall prize should go to Eggy. It then depends on how the age awards are assessed. If the vote is for the best U19 player at the club, then obviously C Thomson, G Smith and S Robinson would have to be high on the list, with CT the favourite. However if it is awarded to the best player playing U19 football, then I would probably go for Danny Thomson or Jason Holt. Similarly at U17 level I would go for Jason Holt or Chris Kane.

At U19 level I'm sure that Mikey Deland and Conrad Balatoni will also be on the short list. Jamie Walker had a terrific first half to the season but has been less effective in the 2nd half, while Jason Holt had a quiet start, but has got better and better as the season progressed.

Among the other U17s (playing U17s), Aaron Murdoch, Fraser Mullen and Chris Tobin have all been consistently good over the season.

On the subject of Mikey Deland, watching him yesterday against Hamilton, I was struck by how slow he appears to be. Great skill and positional sense but SLOW. Is this down to him recovering from injury or have I just not noticed it before?

Footballfirst

On the subject of Mikey Deland, watching him yesterday against Hamilton, I was struck by how slow he appears to be. Great skill and positional sense but SLOW. Is this down to him recovering from injury or have I just not noticed it before?

I wouldn't describe Deland as slow. He may not be the quickest off the mark but I've watched him regularly get forward and overlap with sufficient pace to cause problems to the opposition, e.g his run forward that won the corner from which he subsequently scored.

Charlie-Brown

A few of the taller kids like Deland & Mulrooney & David Smith etc are still at that 'gangly' teenager stage that can sometimes make them look awkward and ungainly however once they naturally fill out physically they should look stronger, faster more powerful etc.

WeeToonJambo

I wouldn't describe Deland as slow. He may not be the quickest off the mark but I've watched him regularly get forward and overlap with sufficient pace to cause problems to the opposition, e.g his run forward that won the corner from which he subsequently scored.

That's what I thought and why I was surprised yesterday to see him looking slow. I've never noticed it before. Maybe he just got caught on his heels and took a bit of time to get going - or maybe it was trying to run into the Rutherglen hurricane!

Archived