Vlad tells Jeff he can splash the cash

redm

There was a surprisingly positive article about us in the NotW yesterday and couldn't spot it anywhere on the Terrace so apologies if this is old news....?

Vlad tells Jeff he can splash the cash

Jim Jefferies has revealed Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov has given him a transfer budget - and his blessing to dip into it. The Lithuanian banker has told Jeff he is ready to open his vaults and back him with hard cash to sign the elusive striker his predecessor Csaba Laszlo was denied.

Midfielder Ryan Stevenson remains the only signing Jefferies has made at Hearts, having snapped him up for a nominal fee from Ayr. Now, despite being told to slash his wage bill, the Hearts gaffer has confirmed he has got Romanov's blessing to wheel and deal again.

Jefferies said, "The striking department is something Mr Romanov and I have spoken about. We've already got our eye on one or two but they have to fit the profile of what we want. You have got to be looking to bring guys in for a few years, get some success and maybe then generate something by moving them on. I'm not saying if there's an experienced guy of a good age out there who's under freedom of contract and could do a job that we wouldn't go for him. Mostly though we're looking at young players and, even if there's a transfer fee involved, Mr Romanov has been very receptive."

"If I put a case forward and the price is right, fine. If he's overvalued, we won't do it. We'll sit down together and then decide what we think he's worth and if we don't get him we don't get him. It won't be because Mr Romanov hasn't backed me, it will be because we've put a value on the player and it's gone beyond that. If we think he's worth going further for, I'm sure we will. We don't need to sell to buy - that's never been mentioned. We will deal with it all as best we can but so far the early chats about it have been great, so hopefully we can see it through."

Jefferies doesn't believe he has to splash out a fortune or guarantee his targets European football next season to sell them on a move to Tynecastle. He claimed, "This is an easy club to attract players to as it's a big club. Europe helps but it won't be a hindrance if we don't make it. I speak to agents all the time who tell me they have players who would love to play here because of who we are. We've got a great stadium, a great fan base and traditions.?

If we're keeping an eye out for players from the lower divisions they are not going to be on huge money anyway. We'll make a decision based on what's good for the club financially and what particular areas we need to strengthen. Strikers are a priority but we're not looking to bring in four or five because we have the young lads here already. Gary Glen's come in, we've got Calum Elliot and David Obua has done well for me up front." ?

So not really a spending spree, more of a wee nip around the local shop for essentials....but willingness to pay a transfer fee was not at all something I expected from our activities this summer. Can't see it being much but given that so many other clubs are reluctant to spend anything at all at the moment, it might be the move that brings us someone we can actually get excited about.

And I know it's early days but I love the fact that JJ seems to be getting along swimmingly with Vlad - definitely sounds like they're on the same wavelength and that can only be a good thing. Perhaps it's just my nostalgia tinted spectacles but JJ comes across as having so much more of a long term vision for Hearts than Csaba ever did. I know that can only be expected given his history with the club but it's still so refreshing to hear (or read) him mulling over decisions that will potentially impact upon the club beyond his reign in the dugout. It's so genuine and reassuring. JJ is just perfect for us right now.? :)

Guest JamboRobbo

Taking the headline with a pinch of salt. But all sounds very positive to me. Perfect even. Sensible but progressive.

I just hope the actions of the mad one back up JJs understanding of what the situation is for the summer.

i can sometimes be a bit cynical but do these positive stories seem to appear in the press more when it`s time to renew season tickets

i can sometimes be a bit cynical but do these positive stories seem to appear in the press more when it`s time to renew season tickets

Well, yes of course. But there isn't a club anywhere that doesn't do the same thing.?

Plus, while I don't buy in to the most extreme theories on the Scottish media being out to get us, I just can't see them churning out positive stories on our behalf for no reason. JJ said those things, therefore they must be true. I like to keep it simple with the good news. ?:biggrin:

Drylaw Hearts

TBF........

The transfer window opens soon.

TBF........

The transfer window opens soon.

fair point and as i said i can be a bit cynical. i wan`t two strikers first and foremost.

Cut The Crap

As ever, it will be interesting to see whether the club's actions will match these encouraging words. :smoking:

Well, yes of course. But there isn't a club anywhere that doesn't do the same thing.?

Plus, while I don't buy in to the most extreme theories on the Scottish media being out to get us, I just can't see them churning out positive stories on our behalf for no reason. JJ said those things, therefore they must be true. I like to keep it simple with the good news. ?:biggrin:

The media seems to have been a bit friendlier since JJ took over. I think they had a pretty good relationship with Csaba but didn't know what to make of him and even the language barrier caused a lot of unhelpful headlines. But JJ is respected in Scottish football and apart from anything journos know not to cross him!

I think getting some positive feeling around the club is a great thing as for too long we've been the bad guys from outwith and the hard-done-by from within.

I think we will spend a wee bit this summer. Nothing near millions but if JJ has pinpointed a couple of players at 2or300K each and they fit the criterea of young and developable (new word?) then he'll get them

Thundercats Are Go

Anything negative from NOTW and its a rag, the print something positive so it must be true! :whistling:

Charlie-Brown

"If we're keeping an eye out for players from the lower divisions they are not going to be on huge money anyway. We'll make a decision based on what's good for the club financially and what particular areas we need to strengthen. Strikers are a priority but we're not looking to bring in four or five because we have the young lads here already."

I think that's probably the most instructive sentence in the article - also the point about maybe taking a more experienced player on freedom of contract.

Anything negative from NOTW and its a rag, the print something positive so it must be true!??:whistling:

By jove I think he's got it....

Positive article with direct quotes from the manager = thumbs up.

The media seems to have been a bit friendlier since JJ took over.??I think they had a pretty good relationship with Csaba but didn't know what to make of him and even the language barrier caused a lot of unhelpful headlines.??But JJ is respected in Scottish football and apart from anything journos know not to cross him!

I think getting some positive feeling around the club is a great thing as for too long we've been the bad guys from outwith and the hard-done-by from within.

I think we will spend a wee bit this summer.??Nothing near millions but if JJ has pinpointed a couple of players at 2or300K each and they fit the criterea of young and developable (new word?) then he'll get them

I'm sure the journos will have respect for JJ (who doesn't?) but I also reckon Csaba had a very good relationship with the press. An extremely good one, apparently. However, reporters would be asking for a boot up the backside if they were handed something - even something somewhat lost in translation by likeable bletherbox manager - and then didn't use it. Csaba will have known this too, plus I don't remember them ever giving him a hard time anyway...everything was usually Vlad's fault. The period before Csaba was, for me, the bad time. Those dark days of monkeys and poetry...

I'm sure the journos will have respect for JJ (who doesn't?) but I also reckon Csaba had a very good relationship with the press. An extremely good one, apparently. However, reporters would be asking for a boot up the backside if they were handed something - even something somewhat lost in translation by likeable bletherbox manager - and then didn't use it. Csaba will have known this too, plus I don't remember them ever giving him a hard time anyway...everything was usually Vlad's fault. The period before Csaba was, for me, the bad time. Those dark days of monkeys and poetry...

Oh aye, I wasn't having a go at Csaba if that's how it came across? I more meant that JJ will quite intentionally build a positive press feeling where Csaba unintentionally or not left them wee tidbits that could be used against VR or whatever. I think the press did like Csaba but within those rants they could always find something which could be made news-worthy. With JJ, it's more likely to be about the football and keeping backroom stuff very much that

Mikey Gardiner

Sounds very postive to me. Alot of the sunday paper's were reporting this story. Now all we can do is hope that the right players are brought in. A decent couple of strikers and a few attacking midfielders.

marshallschunkychicken

"If we're keeping an eye out for players from the lower divisions they are not going to be on huge money anyway. We'll make a decision based on what's good for the club financially and what particular areas we need to strengthen. Strikers are a priority but we're not looking to bring in four or five because we have the young lads here already."

I think that's probably the most instructive sentence in the article - also the point about maybe taking a more experienced player on freedom of contract.

*cough* Kevin Kyle..

Mikey Gardiner

Could just as easily be someone like Mehmet though.

I really do hope not as mehmet is rank. He maybe contributes to the team's performance but he cannot score in the spl. That's something we don't need.

There was a surprisingly positive article about us in the NotW yesterday and couldn't spot it anywhere on the Terrace so apologies if this is old news....?

So not really a spending spree, more of a wee nip around the local shop for essentials....but willingness to pay a transfer fee was not at all something I expected from our activities this summer. Can't see it being much but given that so many other clubs are reluctant to spend anything at all at the moment, it might be the move that brings us someone we can actually get excited about.

And I know it's early days but I love the fact that JJ seems to be getting along swimmingly with Vlad - definitely sounds like they're on the same wavelength and that can only be a good thing. Perhaps it's just my nostalgia tinted spectacles but JJ comes across as having so much more of a long term vision for Hearts than Csaba ever did. I know that can only be expected given his history with the club but it's still so refreshing to hear (or read) him mulling over decisions that will potentially impact upon the club beyond his reign in the dugout. It's so genuine and reassuring. JJ is just perfect for us right now.? :)

I think what he is trying to say is that if there is a value for money signing out there, we'll try and get him but if the selling club tries to play silly beggars, forget it.

Oh aye, I wasn't having a go at Csaba if that's how it came across???I more meant that JJ will quite intentionally build a positive press feeling where Csaba unintentionally or not left them wee tidbits that could be used against VR or whatever.??I think the press did like Csaba but within those rants they could always find something which could be made news-worthy.??With JJ, it's more likely to be about the football and keeping backroom stuff very much that

Ah right, sorry. Gotcha. He was trying to use the good rapport he had with the press to his advantage towards the end? For sure. He tried to put a daft amount of pressure on Vlad and that's just never ever a good idea....as he eventually discovered. And where did his machinations get him? They got him his P45 and not much else of note other than a spot of reasonably sympathetic coverage from the Scotsman and EEN when he announced that he'd be taking legal action and seeking compensation for the remainder of his contract.

I liked Csaba a lot and I always thought he was smarter than that, but nope. Not in the end he wasn't. Bet you the press miss him loads though.?

Probably went more along the lines as follows:

NOW Reporter - "Will you be getting a transfer chest from Mr Romanov?"

JJ - "Aye, right"

tartofmidlothian

"Strikers are a priority but we're not looking to bring in four or five because we have the young lads here already. Gary Glen's come in, we've got Calum Elliot and David Obua has done well for me up front."

Hopefully lots of KBers print this out, stick it on their monitor or laptop and bear it in mind when we don't start hoovering up strikers in the first week of the window.

jamboinglasgow

Ah right, sorry. Gotcha. He was trying to use the good rapport he had with the press to his advantage towards the end? For sure. He tried to put a daft amount of pressure on Vlad and that's just never ever a good idea....as he eventually discovered. And where did his machinations get him? They got him his P45 and not much else of note other than a spot of reasonably sympathetic coverage from the Scotsman and EEN when he announced that he'd be taking legal action and seeking compensation for the remainder of his contract.

I liked Csaba a lot and I always thought he was smarter than that, but nope. Not in the end he wasn't. Bet you the press miss him loads though.?

interestingly enough one person who never seemed to think much of Csaba was Graham Speirs who often went on at how Csaba would sprout nonsense (which I found odd as some stuff Csaba said was worth noting and as Speirs is a forward thinking journalist I thought he would agree.)

interestingly enough one person who never seemed to think much of Csaba was Graham Speirs who often went on at how Csaba would sprout nonsense (which I found odd as some stuff Csaba said was worth noting and as Speirs is a forward thinking journalist I thought he would agree.)

Csaba did speak a lot of sense in amongst the blether (which was just his style anyway). He had progressive ideas about summer football and winter breaks to help us in Europe and actually seemed to talk a lot of sense about youth development (mostly that youngsters need to learn discipline, both tactically and mentally). That last point I always thought made it more furstrating that he didn't seem to want to use younger players. He was just overcautious I guess.

The press probably will miss him but i also think they'll be happy enough with JJ back. I actually think a lot of journos would prefer to be writing positive stuff. As long as there's something to write why not write it, but if just because it's positive doesn't mean it won't be a seller. If JJ builds us back up and we challenge, then that in itself is column inches

Archived