why noone should vote for the tories

Quagmire

apart from my belief that real people would never vote for them anyway ( ;) ), there's one really important thing to take into account - if they get in there is NO WAY they will reform the voting system. labour MIGHT, and would probably be forced into it by the lib dems in a coalition.

FPTP is the main thing standing in the way of a decent political culture in this country. its all-or-nothing nature means that the parties can no longer afford to be too different from each other, whilst spending most of their energy trying to make each other look **** rather than getting on with their job.

britain needs consensual politics so ***** badly, the fact that cameron hasn't included total reform of the voting system is an achingly clear indication that he doesn't give a toss about 'a new politics' - he just wants to win the election for his toff chums.

Geoff Kilpatrick

apart from my belief that real people would never vote for them anyway ( wink.gif ), there's one really important thing to take into account - if they get in there is NO WAY they will reform the voting system. labour MIGHT, and would probably be forced into it by the lib dems in a coalition.

FPTP is the main thing standing in the way of a decent political culture in this country. its all-or-nothing nature means that the parties can no longer afford to be too different from each other, whilst spending most of their energy trying to make each other look **** rather than getting on with their job.

britain needs consensual politics so ***** badly, the fact that cameron hasn't included total reform of the voting system is an achingly clear indication that he doesn't give a toss about 'a new politics' - he just wants to win the election for his toff chums.

Er, would this be the same Labour that put it in their manifesto in 1997 and blatantly reneged on it?

Er, would this be the same Labour that put it in their manifesto in 1997 and blatantly reneged on it?

the only way they'll get into power again is if they form a coalition with the liberals who will make this a deal-breaking condition, i would suspect.

Geoff Kilpatrick

the only way they'll get into power again is if they form a coalition with the liberals who will make this a deal-breaking condition, i would suspect.

As I said elsewhere, Brown wants AV. This would be even less proportional than FPTP.

As I said elsewhere, Brown wants AV. This would be even less proportional than FPTP.

labour are far more likely to be bludgeoned into PR by the lib dems than the tories.

Geoff Kilpatrick

labour are far more likely to be bludgeoned into PR by the lib dems than the tories.

If the Lib Dems get between 100 to 150 seats, they are likely to bludgeon any party into PR.

portobellojambo1

If there was only one party to vote for,and that party was The Labour Party, I'd actually not vote at all. In fact spending a day at Easter Road watching Hibernian Football club sounds more appealing than voting for that bunch of useless prats.

Not decided if I'll vote in this election, but if I do it will be for The Conservative Party.

As a new Government is badly needed, I would rather cut my right arm off than vote Torry. Therefore Lib Dems will get my vote this time.

If there was only one party to vote for,and that party was The Labour Party, I'd actually not vote at all. In fact spending a day at Easter Road watching Hibernian Football club sounds more appealing than voting for that bunch of useless prats.

Not decided if I'll vote in this election, but if I do it will be for The Conservative Party.

Well said. Labour are a failed government who have bankrupted our economy, so must go. Why should they be given the opportunity to finish the job?

apart from my belief that real people would never vote for them anyway ( ;) ), there's one really important thing to take into account - if they get in there is NO WAY they will reform the voting system. labour MIGHT, and would probably be forced into it by the lib dems in a coalition.

The thing about a democracy is that everyone has the freedom to vote for who they want, not to be dictated to that 'real people' wouldn't vote for one part or the other.

Personally i would never vote tory, but this assumption that only 'toffs' vote tory is quite frankly the kind of backward, so called working class snobbish attitude that will keep th UK in the 19th century when it comes to perception.

Danny Wilde

The thing about a democracy is that everyone has the freedom to vote for who they want, not to be dictated to that 'real people' wouldn't vote for one part or the other.

Personally i would never vote tory, but this assumption that only 'toffs' vote tory is quite frankly the kind of backward, so called working class snobbish attitude that will keep th UK in the 19th century when it comes to perception.

Basically agree with that. Never voted Tory myself and very unlikely that I ever will. But people can vote for whoever they want and for whatever reason(s) they want. I see from Quagmires biog that he's a 22 yr old care worker ... so an "anti-Conservative" perspective isn't perhaps that surprising. But whether care-workers will be any more protected under Labour, than LibDems or Tories is unknowable this side of the forthcoming cuts. I wouldn't trust Labour/Brown in that regard much more than Tories/Brown.

Patrick Bateman

The amount of people that trust Labour after they have spent the best part of the last decade repeatedly lying to the electorate. How fickle are some people? Do labour voters think Brown will suddenly transform into a competent leader?

We don't just need voting reform, we need constitutional reform.

Danny Wilde

The amount of people that trust Labour after they have spent the best part of the last decade repeatedly lying to the electorate. How fickle are some people? Do labour voters think Brown will suddenly transform into a competent leader?

Throw in a marksman behind a grassy knoll and we'd be there :whistling:

loveofthegame

Anyone prepared to vote to allow this Labour Government to continue to be in charge is an IDIOT.

The number of people who will be worse off if they don't vote Labour is a more sobering thought for many.

Patrick Bateman

The number of people who will be worse off if they don't vote Labour is a more sobering thought for many.

Can you prove that or are you just trusting what labour say? They said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction too...

I'd think it will be those in bloated back-office public service jobs who need to worry (civil service being one example), whereas the vast majority of us will at least be no worse off.

If you put an experienced business trouble-shooter in these places, they could save the taxpayer a fortune.

The majority of us in private sector jobs are considerably worse off because of the mess Labour have got the economy into. One of the things I'd like to see happen first is that the damage to our pensions be reversed by freeing them from the taxes Gordon Brown put on. Otherwise I won't be able to afford to retire until I'm either dead or 90+.

Can you prove that or are you just trusting what labour say? They said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction too...

I don't think we need to worry about what Labour say; we are living it.

Tax credits for working people, children, pensioners.

Minimum wage

Heating allowance plus insulation costs.

Free travel for the elderly.

Guarantees for cancer patients.

Shorter waiting lists for treatment.

I could go on and on but I am leaving you at this point as I am off to watch the match on telly in the club.

quite a number of points covered in this thread but the one that sticks out is TRUST.

people not trusting the cons for being toffs, its really the middle classes they pamper too which coincidently happens to be who labour have been siding up to the past couple of elections.

labour have been a disaster this term as in the state of the country, would you trust them to pull the country outta recession. bearing in mind that this is a global recession and not a UK one, the tories last stint at power was pretty grim as well.

someone mentioned manifestos not being fullfilled by labour, can anybody remember a party thats actually fullfilled their promises. to me manifesto wise they all tell us what we want to here just to get into power but have no intention of ever carrying out their manifestos.

Europe wants us to bail out countries that have been shafted by their politicians with their entries into the EURO and the libs are wanting to go head long into this, is an absolute no no.

given that members of all parties have been cheating us the people/their employers with their expenses claims and god knows what else, that hasn't been uncovered yet, while specially protected from prosecution, who do you vote for, can you really TRUST any of these cheating Ba**as.

wheres the NONE OF THE ABOVE box on a ballot slip, is what i want to know

Radioactive Mince

apart from my belief that real people would never vote for them anyway ( ;) )

I would never vote Conservative but find this statement ridiculous.

Anyone prepared to vote to allow this Labour Government to continue to be in charge is an IDIOT.

I find this statement ridiculous.

They did (they were wrong/lied, along with the USA), and I seem to remember the Iraq & Afghanistan campaigns were backed by the majority of Conservative MPs. It's hilarious to now see them slithering around attacking Labour over it. Only people with no memory (most of the country, to be fair) will be taken in by the Tory tripe on that subject.

I don't think we need to worry about what Labour say; we are living it.

Tax credits for working people, children, pensioners.

Minimum wage

Heating allowance plus insulation costs.

Free travel for the elderly.

Guarantees for cancer patients.

Shorter waiting lists for treatment.

I could go on and on but I am leaving you at this point as I am off to watch the match on telly in the club.

I find this reply factual.

wheres the NONE OF THE ABOVE box on a ballot slip, is what i want to know

It's wherever you write it in yourself.

I can only say that, before 1997, the area of the country that I happen to've been raised was fast becoming a ghost town due to nearly two decades of Tory rule. You see, the Conservative party may be a decent party in the eyes of voters in marginals and Tory hotbeds, but try telling any of the electorate in the many non-Tory constituencies who were consistently shat on for all those years. I've lost count of the regeneration projects, new health centres and schools which have been built since 1997. I'd try to suggest that the country's deficit was down to 18 years of Conservative neglect and the subsequent investment required by Labour to bring things up to standard, but then I'm no economist.

For me, all the evidence points to the Conservative party holding Scotland in utter contempt and in particular, unwinnable seats get ****ing hammered by them when they're in power as they try to appease the southern marginals. Read up on the Rosyth Dockyard vs Devonport Trident scandal and you'll get the general drift.

My constituency is Dunfermline West, which is a toss-up between Lib Dem and Labour. I can guarantee right now that the West Fife area will suffer under a Conservative government. You can also expect the Tories to drastically cut Scotland's devolved budget after their one year guarantee period. The only way you can predict the future is by looking at the past. All I know is that, in the past, the Conservative party have never been good for Scotland.

Mince

Thing with the tories is that I really can't trust David Cameron at all. On top of that, a ?5 billion reduction in the Scottish budget equates to the entire Education budget or half the Health budget :blink:

I've never voted Tory or Labour before, but have to say I prefer the Labour prudent approach of continued investment during the recession. My fear if the Tories do get in is that they have said they severely cut services - this can only result in huge numbers of job losses meaning increase social payouts for support and many defaulted mortgages and repossessions. This in turn means less money being spent on the high street and we'll find ourselves in a far worse situation than we are now.

Not 100% sure on who'll get my vote, but I am 100% certain it will not be conservative.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I would never vote Conservative but find this statement ridiculous.

I find this statement ridiculous.

They did (they were wrong/lied, along with the USA), and I seem to remember the Iraq & Afghanistan campaigns were backed by the majority of Conservative MPs. It's hilarious to now see them slithering around attacking Labour over it. Only people with no memory (most of the country, to be fair) will be taken in by the Tory tripe on that subject.

I find this reply factual.

It's wherever you write it in yourself.

I can only say that, before 1997, the area of the country that I happen to've been raised was fast becoming a ghost town due to nearly two decades of Tory rule. You see, the Conservative party may be a decent party in the eyes of voters in marginals and Tory hotbeds, but try telling any of the electorate in the many non-Tory constituencies who were consistently shat on for all those years. I've lost count of the regeneration projects, new health centres and schools which have been built since 1997. I'd try to suggest that the country's deficit was down to 18 years of Conservative neglect and the subsequent investment required by Labour to bring things up to standard, but then I'm no economist.

For me, all the evidence points to the Conservative party holding Scotland in utter contempt and in particular, unwinnable seats get ****ing hammered by them when they're in power as they try to appease the southern marginals. Read up on the Rosyth Dockyard vs Devonport Trident scandal and you'll get the general drift.

My constituency is Dunfermline West, which is a toss-up between Lib Dem and Labour. I can guarantee right now that the West Fife area will suffer under a Conservative government. You can also expect the Tories to drastically cut Scotland's devolved budget after their one year guarantee period. The only way you can predict the future is by looking at the past. All I know is that, in the past, the Conservative party have never been good for Scotland.

Mince

Deficit in simple terms

Public sector accounting for 52% of GDP

Taxation paying for 39% of that GDP

Meaning 13% borrowed, higher than Greece.

So, what you are saying is that maxing out the credit card and pushing the national debt to ?1.4 trillion is actually the Tories' fault?

Laughable.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Thing with the tories is that I really can't trust David Cameron at all. On top of that, a ?5 billion reduction in the Scottish budget equates to the entire Education budget or half the Health budget blink.gif

I've never voted Tory or Labour before, but have to say I prefer the Labour prudent approach of continued investment during the recession. My fear if the Tories do get in is that they have said they severely cut services - this can only result in huge numbers of job losses meaning increase social payouts for support and many defaulted mortgages and repossessions. This in turn means less money being spent on the high street and we'll find ourselves in a far worse situation than we are now.

Not 100% sure on who'll get my vote, but I am 100% certain it will not be conservative.

See my figures above.

They are ALL going to have to do that, except they are pretending they won't have to.

The immaturity of the debate is laughable.

Liam Halligan in the Torygraph summed it up well today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/liamhalligan/7601633/Televised-debate-made-history-but-what-about-the-herd-of-elephants-in-the-room.html

PS This is before the random effects of the Icelandic volcano. I look forward to it being blamed in the future!

Deficit in simple terms

So, what you are saying is that maxing out the credit card and pushing the national debt to ?1.4 trillion is actually the Tories' fault?

Laughable.

i think what he's actually saying is, that the tories lack of spending left services/investment way short of coping with what was required. thus, leaving labour having to borrow to pay for the shortfalls in public services/investment. seemed pretty straight forward and acurate to me.

still find politicians of all parties corrupt and havn't heard anything to change my mind.

Geoff Kilpatrick

i think what he's actually saying is, that the tories lack of spending left services/investment way short of coping with what was required. thus, leaving labour having to borrow to pay for the shortfalls in public services/investment. seemed pretty straight forward and acurate to me.

still find politicians of all parties corrupt and havn't heard anything to change my mind.

Oh I get what he's saying.

The point is that Labour has never been honest and said that here's the services we need to provide and you need to pay for them because governments do not have any money, contrary to what a lot of people think out there.

Danny Wilde

Labours best option remains to lose the election. The Tories then carry the can for the inevitable cuts and consequently become the most unpopular government in decades. Gold-fish memory voters might then return a Brown-less Labour in 2015 or sooner.

However since Labour do seem determined to scramble a win with LibDem backing, then they will inevitably be forced to wield a knife to their client state. Thats unless they'd prefer the IMF to come in and do it for them in 12-18 months or so.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Labours best option remains to lose the election. The Tories then carry the can for the inevitable cuts and consequently become the most unpopular government in decades. Gold-fish memory voters might then return a Brown-less Labour in 2015 or sooner.

However since Labour do seem determined to scramble a win with LibDem backing, then they will inevitably be forced to wield a knife to their client state. Thats unless they'd prefer the IMF to come in and do it for them in 12-18 months or so.

Yep, said as much for months on here.

It makes you a true blue Tory though. :rolleyes3:

:rofl: Comedy post of the year so far.

I am absolutely certain that I will not consider opinion from a daft Hibs fan that for some reason or other continues to stay on this board. Next you will tell us that meat eaters are like Nazi's....

Johanes de Silentio

Don't know about Noone, whoever that is, but I have never and never will vote for the Conservative party, particularly with a non-entity like Cameron at the helm.

The word 'Tory', incidentally, actually means 'Irish thief/criminal'!

Like most/all politicians, they are not to be trusted.

**** them!

Yep, said as much for months on here.

It makes you a true blue Tory though. :rolleyes3:

You also said months ago that the Tories would win a landslide victory and I suppose there is still time for that but.......

It doesn't make you a true blue Tory but it should make us very wary of some of the things you have been saying.

Guest Atticus

Pretty sick of people trying to tell others who they should and should not vote for. Is this guy not a Hibs fan who leaped out of a plane before logging on to kickback to accuse all meat eaters of being on a par with the Nazis? Thought so.

People are quite at liberty to vote for one of the main right wing Unionist parties. But they should ask what their voting priority actually is. Do they want the best candidate to be their MP or do they want to influence the resulting make up of the London government? There are probably only a handful of seats in Scotland where they can do both. Dumfries, Perth, Angus, West Aberdeen. In the other fifty odd seats, Traditional Tory Voices have to decide to vote tactically to help Cameruin's ambitions, or waste their votes on a point of principal. Where I live it is arithmetically impossible for 2 of the 3 main Unionist Parties to win. A vote for the Tory in Glasgow South can only help Bruin's ambitions. I guess it comes down to morality, something I've always found to be in short supply amongst Tory voters.

Radioactive Mince

Deficit in simple terms

Laughable.

No. What I'm saying, obviously, is that nigh on two decades of Conservative rule left our nation (Scotland :rolleyes:) in such a state that there was massive investment required to bring the country into the 21st century.

As I said, I'm no economist, and am making no excuses for the Labour-induced deficit, although I can see that it looks that way. All I am saying is that huge investment was absolutely necessary. Now, the Labour government have made many apparent mistakes. PPI/PFI projects being one of them IMO. The needless wars being another, and the handling of the economic crash being the most recent. I am curious though, in wondering how the Conservatives would've handled the financial crisis differently, as I'm led to believe by a relative, an Oxford graduate in economics, that the action taken was textbook depression aversion.

The only thing I can think of that would've had the Conservatives coming out of the crisis looking better than Labour would be that they didn't invest any money in our public services in the first place therefore had less of a deficit to claw back; a simplistic view I'm sure you'll agree.

FWIW, I'll probably be voting Lib Dumb, as you call them, Geoff. Also, I do agree with you that a Tory win will strengthen Labour's position come the next elections, for the same reasons outlined above.

Mince

Why do certain people think that being "right wing" is a bad thing? It's just as valid as being "left wing", although not as sensible.

Johanes de Silentio

Why do certain people think that being "right wing" is a bad thing? It's just as valid as being "left wing", although not as sensible.

Let's see who bites, shall we? ;)

Nowt wrong with being right wing. :whistling:

Johanes de Silentio

Godwin's Law states that the longer an internet thread goes on for, the more likely it is that Hitler and the Nazzis will be mentioned.

Oops! :rolleyes:

Radioactive Mince

Left footers are not to be trusted. That's correct, isn't it?

Mince

:laugh:

I think that might need more careful phrasing.

:laugh:

The Mighty Thor

Not once...

magaret-thatcher-and-gordon-brown-pic-pa-758894358.jpg

but twice !

gordon-brown-and-margaret-thatcher.jpg

That rancid decrepit old sow is the reason i will never vote Conservative.

That rancid decrepit old sow is the reason i will never vote Conservative.

The Baroness is the reason I have voted Conservative. :whistling:

Archived