21p rise, minimum wage now ?5.73 ph.

Mr Sifter

Just been announced in the Commons....

Can anyone who is registered for hibs.net please let them know.

Thanks

Miller Jambo 60
Any idea when this apply's from. Total joke to be honest.

Loads of parties coming up ,aye right labour suck:mad:

Just been announced in the Commons....

Can anyone who is registered for hibs.net please let them know.

Thanks

Why? It won't affect their dole money.

:P

will this affect Ivaskevicius' contract? ;)

Just seen him in cash gentoners looking at ways of spending his new wage !

THE MM is a total joke, and the reason why our economy is heading towards melt down, and inflation through the roof !

I came up with a idea where the MM was 4 pounds a hour, but the Govt would subside every worker up to 7 pounds a hour. This would mean that employers could afford to take on more staff and more hibbies would be willing to come off the dole, or made to come off the dole.

Just a idea, the current system is a total joke and a complete mess !

Just seen him in cash gentoners looking at ways of spending his new wage !

THE MM is a total joke, and the reason why our economy is heading towards melt down, and inflation through the roof !

I came up with a idea where the MM was 4 pounds a hour, but the Govt would subside every worker up to 7 pounds a hour. This would mean that employers could afford to take on more staff and more hibbies would be willing to come off the dole, or made to come off the dole.

Just a idea, the current system is a total joke and a complete mess !

So I'd be subsidising through my taxes non-viable businesses to make money for their owners as the only thing lacking in their business plan would be the ability to pay a fair price for the commodity of labour.

Brilliant!!!! Can I buy their raw materials for them as well? Maybe a building to run their business from? Ooh and some computers?

So I'd be subsidising through my taxes non-viable businesses to make money for their owners as the only thing lacking in their business plan would be the ability to pay a fair price for the commodity of labour.

Brilliant!!!! Can I buy their raw materials for them as well? Maybe a building to run their business from? Ooh and some computers?

You have a point Rob, however at the moment the only non-vaiable business you are subsidising with your taxes is the government.

A government that refuse to give the Police the rise they were awarded, and a rise that as a percentage is in no way comparable to what they are expecting private employers to give there staff.

However they expect private employers to increase the wages of employees without any assistance and in doing so deprive other employees of deserved wage rises or force the cost of services and products up.

Start with a set amount to avoid exploitation fair enough, but this now getting beyond a joke!!

MY point was to help people to earn a decent living for themselves rather than picking up the giro bill. This govt, and past govt have made the benifits system a joke, why would a single parert give up his giro for work, when he will lose his housing benfit, free healthcare, free meals for his kids, children allowance ! i would rather help people who are willing to help themselves rather than giving money to the jackies just so hey can get ****ed !

?5.73 does seem an awful lot. This will hit the pub trade especially hard since a large majority of bar staff are earning minimum wage.

Add this to spiralling costs of barley, malt and the costs of the new premises licence, not to mention the fact that you are also having to pay for personal licences for any managers/supervisors, the price of a pint will soar and pubs already struggling with a smoking ban will close.

I had always hoped that I could eventually buy or at least lease one myself, but the way the industry is going, this would be financial suicide.

If small, privately owned pubs were dying out, this, I fear, will put them alongside dodos and hobo scottish cup winners. A thing of the long and distant past.

?5.73 does seem an awful lot. This will hit the pub trade especially hard since a large majority of bar staff are earning minimum wage.

Add this to spiralling costs of barley, malt and the costs of the new premises licence, not to mention the fact that you are also having to pay for personal licences for any managers/supervisors, the price of a pint will soar and pubs already struggling with a smoking ban will close.

I had always hoped that I could eventually buy or at least lease one myself, but the way the industry is going, this would be financial suicide.

If small, privately owned pubs were dying out, this, I fear, will put them alongside dodos and hobo scottish cup winners. A thing of the long and distant past.

Will a 4% rise for their lowest paid staff really hit the pub trade that hard?

?5.73 does seem an awful lot.

Really? That makes a 42 hour week ?240, or ?12500 a year. Considering that poverty line for a household is around ?16500 according to the press it isn't much.

Everyone on the MW though has to bank with Northern Rock, Brown's hoping to claw some of that ?110bn back ;)

If ?16,500 is the poverty threshold, then I'm earning less than it as an Assistant Manager. Thank god the missus works.

?12,500 a year is not a bad wage if you ask me. Nothing great but then again most minimum wage jobs aren't exactly tasking. Hard work maybe, but certainly not difficult.

RE 4% rise, if you have 5 members of staff doing 20 hours a week (not a lot) earning minimum wage, thats ?100 a month. ?12,000 a year. Add that to a possible ?2000 pound premises licence, plus an annual renewal fee of ?500, plus a personal licence application of upto ?500 for you and another ?500 for your right hand man/woman (not including the training course for the licence) and thats ?15,500 right there. That's not far off my annual salary.

I'd certainly miss it from my pocket if it went missing.

That 4% rises has to be made back from somewhere and your pint is where it's going to come from. 4% on a ?2.50 pint takes it upto ?2.60. Considering a lot of people baulk at ?2.50 as it it, ?2.60 will send them nuts. And that's not including the other costs I outlined or rising production costs of booze itself.

I agree with the minimum wage, think it's probably the best thing New Lab brought in, but ?5.50 seems fine to me.

If ?16,500 is the poverty threshold, then I'm earning less than it as an Assistant Manager. Thank god the missus works.

?12,500 a year is not a bad wage if you ask me. Nothing great but then again most minimum wage jobs aren't exactly tasking. Hard work maybe, but certainly not difficult.

RE 4% rise, if you have 5 members of staff doing 20 hours a week (not a lot) earning minimum wage, thats ?100 a month. ?12,000 a year. Add that to a possible ?2000 pound premises licence, plus an annual renewal fee of ?500, plus a personal licence application of upto ?500 for you and another ?500 for your right hand man/woman (not including the training course for the licence) and thats ?15,500 right there. That's not far off my annual salary.

I'd certainly miss it from my pocket if it went missing.

That 4% rises has to be made back from somewhere and your pint is where it's going to come from. 4% on a ?2.50 pint takes it upto ?2.60. Considering a lot of people baulk at ?2.50 as it it, ?2.60 will send them nuts. And that's not including the other costs I outlined or rising production costs of booze itself.

I agree with the minimum wage, think it's probably the best thing New Lab brought in, but ?5.50 seems fine to me.

I don't follow your maths, but take your point about the passing on of costs to the consumer. That's inflation for you.

I have to say that it's a long time since I baulked at a ?2.50 pint. Again, that's inflation for you.

I see the points people are making on this thread (I think) but would like folk to try and put themselves in the shoes of a young person with no qualifications working damn hard all week for the pittance which is ?240 per week.

I could imagine it would be almost impossible to survive on that, unless you lived with your parents.

I was on more than that as a 2nd year apprentice when I was 18. That was 7 years ago. I struggled to get by, even at that time.

I don't follow my maths either!

?100 x 12 is ?1200. Duh!!

So that makes it ?4,700 a year. Hell of a lot better but I think you'll agree not great for a private business. Would anyone else like to take that off their salary? I wouldn't. Especially since most leaseholders aren't making a lot of money as it is.

I see the points people are making on this thread (I think) but would like folk to try and put themselves in the shoes of a young person with no qualifications working damn hard all week for the pittance which is ?240 per week.

I could imagine it would be almost impossible to survive on that, unless you lived with your parents.

I was on more than that as a 2nd year apprentice when I was 18. That was 7 years ago. I struggled to get by, even at that time.

It's not easy but it's not poverty. I was on ?5.50 an hour a couple of years ago. Shared a flat, ?300 a month on rent and bills. ?20-30 a week on groceries. Still leaves you with ?70 a week to spend on yourself.

Might not have any money for holidays to the Mauritius or trips to Cancun but still enough for a cheap ass holiday to Prague or Spain.

It's not easy but it's not poverty. I was on ?5.50 an hour a couple of years ago. Shared a flat, ?300 a month on rent and bills. ?20-30 a week on groceries. Still leaves you with ?70 a week to spend on yourself.

Might not have any money for holidays to the Mauritius or trips to Cancun but still enough for a cheap ass holiday to Prague or Spain.

By june or july i know for a fact the pint will be over 3 pound. There is a increase in the budget planned, which will be the highest in recent years, also as norm has said the inflation of raw materials has being un real. I was looking at taking over a lease of a pub but after speaking to a lot of people i just thought it was the wrong time to commit to the risk.

Again, The MW does nothing to help businesses or the employees, or you end up with is more benfits cheats !

By june or july i know for a fact the pint will be over 3 pound. There is a increase in the budget planned, which will be the highest in recent years, also as norm has said the inflation of raw materials has being un real. I was looking at taking over a lease of a pub but after speaking to a lot of people i just thought it was the wrong time to commit to the risk.

Again, The MW does nothing to help businesses or the employees, or you end up with is more benfits cheats !

?3 a pint :1132: or 8 cans for ?6 at my corner shop... think alot more nights in for me coming up during the week..

Archived