We could have had Savage

Flux

davemclaren

I remember that being talked about at the time but didn't give it much credence. Just shows what I know. :ninja:

He'd have been a cracking signing for us. A right good player Robbie Savage. Over and above the combative side to his game, he was excellent on the ball, good on set-pieces and had a great engine. If we'd signed him, we honestlty might have won the league that year.

JJ went to Robinson half way throught that season and told him we had a chance of the league but only if we signed a central midfielder as Salva, Fults and Mickey were out on their feet (sure Mickey missed a chunk of the run-in and just made it back for the final). Robinson gave JJ ?50,000 to spend. This was to compete with a very good Rangers and Celtic who were at their peak of spending. Amazingly short-sighted.

Anyway, my point is, if we'd had Savage, we would have had that midfield cover - and quality at that - to push for the league we only missed out on by 7 points.

If my aunty....

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I like Gobby Cabbage, would still take him now if the price was right, sadly he probably still commands a fairly large pay packet.

I remember reading that in an interview in a footy mag and he still looks out for the hearts results and hope that we do well

it just shows there is talent in the lower leagues, and jeffy has an eye for it. a good sign i say

john brownlee

How long do you think he would survive with the GFA Taliban not long I recon

I do like him as a player, but I would have reservations of his discipline especially up here with all these naysmith/broon types of players eager to get fellow pros sent off at every opportunity. michobo would be creaming herself at the thought of Hearts having a player like Savage. GFA would be opening a new bank account just for the increase of monies coming from Mr Romanov.

Its a pity you have to take these things into consideration when a player that would be good, playing wise for Hearts. He would in IMHO an instant hero as we do like big strong hard working players, but in the current climate not a good move for JJ. stewart and black are having a tough time with taliban and they are lightweights compared with Savage.

If he did sign for us, JJ would have to have good cover as I recon that Savage would be out a good third of the season with booking, sending offs and old age injuries.

Peebles-esque story for those of us who lived and breathed Heart of Midlothian Football Club in the 90s. Look out for Egil Ostenstadt (sp?) getting his boat race in the paper saying that Jeff wanted him too but he signed a contract to make sure his club were compensated to the tune of ?900,000 therefore ruling Hearts out and heading for Southampton. Something Davie Weir, Paul Ritchie etc could/should have considered in the early Bosman days.

I do like him as a player, but I would have reservations of his discipline especially up here with all these naysmith/broon types of players eager to get fellow pros sent off at every opportunity. michobo would be creaming herself at the thought of Hearts having a player like Savage. GFA would be opening a new bank account just for the increase of monies coming from Mr Romanov.

Its a pity you have to take these things into consideration when a player that would be good, playing wise for Hearts. He would in IMHO an instant hero as we do like big strong hard working players, but in the current climate not a good move for JJ. stewart and black are having a tough time with taliban and they are lightweights compared with Savage.

If he did sign for us, JJ would have to have good cover as I recon that Savage would be out a good third of the season with booking, sending offs and old age injuries.

i think you are missing the point this is a story from aboot 13years ago :down: as he said no one in the spl could now afford his wages

Hawick Jambo

Sorry for the change of subject but just noticed the poll for Tic Manager - Davie Moyes / Mark Hughes ?

What planet are they on

Denny Crane

Anyone remember the Vinnie Jones and Tomas Brolin rumours from back then?

jamboinglasgow

Sorry for the change of subject but just noticed the poll for Tic Manager - Davie Moyes / Mark Hughes ?

What planet are they on

just let the Celtic fans delude themselves, it means when they do get a realistic manager they will go mental and shout at the board that Jose Mourinho was never approached, we may call Hibs fans deluded for the flair myth but at least they roughly know their place in football, Celtic fans still seem to think they are a bigger and more important club then Manchester United and Barcelona.

john brownlee

i think you are missing the point this is a story from aboot 13years ago :down: as he said no one in the spl could now afford his wages

there you go It just shows you what happens when you start smashing the key board before you are fooly awake, my appoligies to all the previous posters on this thread and to those who like me who may have thought it was a current story and not just some rehashed stuff to get your post number count up. I thank all those smart eckies out there that are quick enough to keep us less informed posters straight

Before then, did hibs not turn down the chance to sign David Platt from Crewe for ?100k?

Pretty much, although I cant remember the exact fee. They had to decide over paying x for Gareth Evans, or x +10k or so for David Platt.

They bought Evans laugh.gif

Jambof3tornado

Can someone explain to me how this is a story??

How many players can come out and announce that they were about to sign for X,Y or Z.

Slow news day I take it???teehee.gif

Ray Winstone

He'd have been a cracking signing for us. A right good player Robbie Savage. Over and above the combative side to his game, he was excellent on the ball, good on set-pieces and had a great engine. If we'd signed him, we honestlty might have won the league that year.

JJ went to Robinson half way throught that season and told him we had a chance of the league but only if we signed a central midfielder as Salva, Fults and Mickey were out on their feet (sure Mickey missed a chunk of the run-in and just made it back for the final). Robinson gave JJ ?50,000 to spend. This was to compete with a very good Rangers and Celtic who were at their peak of spending. Amazingly short-sighted.

Anyway, my point is, if we'd had Savage, we would have had that midfield cover - and quality at that - to push for the league we only missed out on by 7 points.

If my aunty....

Did we not end up signing Lee Makel?

When I were a lad, Sesame Street used to draw letters on screen to help me learn to read and write. Whenever I see this font, I always remember the noise of the letters "writing" on the screen which mimicked that of a chalk writing on a chalk board. That memory is the perfect accompaniment for each and every one of your posts.

Savage would have been a good signing and he would have been excellent for us. All that nonsense you are spouting about the GFA and "michobo" (I am not even sure who that is meant to be) is just drivel.

Anyone remember the Vinnie Jones and Tomas Brolin rumours from back then?

Brolin even came to the club and trained in the gear. IIRC, Jefferies actually spoke to Vinnie Jones as well. Whenever these failed transfers come up, Brolin, Ostenstad and Savage are my naps to be discussed, those and Deschamps.

Mikey Gardiner

he would have been a great signing and we would have got a decent amountof money for him we he eventually got sold. I think he would have got quite a few red cards.

Johanes de Silentio

I remember Savage saying that JJ was "a nice fella" after meeting for talks.

Woulda been an awesome signing for us, I think! :rolleyes:

Miller Jambo 60

just let the Celtic fans delude themselves, it means when they do get a realistic manager they will go mental and shout at the board that Jose Mourinho was never approached, we may call Hibs fans deluded for the flair myth but at least they roughly know their place in football, Celtic fans still seem to think they are a bigger and more important club then Manchester United and Barcelona.

I thought they werelaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif .

Went to see Derby v Brum in the cup. Savage was brilliant. Wound up the Brum Fans the whole game and put a damn good shift in. Only problem was that Barry the Crab put an even better shift in vice they won 2-1.

Brolin even came to the club and trained in the gear. IIRC, Jefferies actually spoke to Vinnie Jones as well. Whenever these failed transfers come up, Brolin, Ostenstad and Savage are my naps to be discussed, those and Deschamps.

There is also Stan Collymore to add to that list.

I popped into Tynie to see how the reconsruction was getting along.

Saw JJ with a tall guy and long blond hair and thought we were buing a Scandinavian!!!

Changing the subject slightly. In a recent Derby game ( cant recall the opposition ) he, Robbie, was shepherding the ball out near the corner flag and some guy came breenging in from behind and almost hoofed him into next week !!

Cue a 21 man boxing match .........with, oddly enough, the only none combatant being Robbie himself, who calmly dusted himself down and kept well clear :teehee::)

Buffalo Bill

The Vinnie Jones thing was nothing that the Daily ****** tired to stir up.

Jones' agent was chatting on the phone to JJ whilst Jones was in the room and he joked about signing him (it was 1999, post Lock Stock filming), but Vinnie was finished as a player by then.

Brolin was so unfit, that JJ asked George Graham for either an extended loan or a free transfer but was turned down. Brolin would've been a huge name and an even bigger waste of space.

Who was the German international we were linked to in early 2005/06? Bobic?

The Vinnie Jones thing was nothing that the Daily ****** tired to stir up.

Jones' agent was chatting on the phone to JJ whilst Jones was in the room and he joked about signing him (it was 1999, post Lock Stock filming), but Vinnie was finished as a player by then.

Brolin was so unfit, that JJ asked George Graham for either an extended loan or a free transfer but was turned down. Brolin would've been a huge name and an even bigger waste of space.

Who was the German international we were linked to in early 2005/06? Bobic?

I think that's right. IIRC Brolin retired shortly after that.

I have a vague recollection about the Bobic story but I suspect it was just vague speculation with little basis in fact. We were being linked with everyone at that stage both players and managers.

I think that's right. IIRC Brolin retired shortly after that.

I have a vague recollection about the Bobic story but I suspect it was just vague speculation with little basis in fact. We were being linked with everyone at that stage both players and managers.

I beg to differ....

fredibobic.jpg

Only a Game

I beg to differ....

fredibobic.jpg

Another lucky escape. Only played another 8 games in his career after that photo.

surprisingly enough savage has only been sent off twice, he is however the most booked player in the championship. i like him and his arrogance he would have wound the hobos up to bursting point in a derby

there you go It just shows you what happens when you start smashing the key board before you are fooly awake, my appoligies to all the previous posters on this thread and to those who like me who may have thought it was a current story and not just some rehashed stuff to get your post number count up. I thank all those smart eckies out there that are quick enough to keep us less informed posters straight

no probs mate...if you want ill keep an eye on your spelling as well :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Buffalo Bill

Another big name we could've had was 'Giggs'.

Not Ryan, but his tearaway little brother, Rhodri. In fact, when he was interviewed by Four Four Two magazine, he made a big deal about his trial under Jefferies (which amounted to little in the end).

10314.jpg

And wasn't Barry Ferguson a Hearts youth under Joe Jordan?

The People's Chimp

If my aunty....

Aye, I remember that very well. We really needed to spend on a quality midfielder and the league might have been ours.

Archived