Canada - cheapest car hire.

269miles

As it says in the title , is there anyone out there who has done the car hire thing in Canada ?

From what I can see Expedia is the cheapest (by far) for getting a SUV for two weeks - but it's not clear what their prices do/ do not include. Any quotes I've got from Canadian websites/hirers don't get close to Expedia's rates but it may be the insurence costs/cover aren't the same and it's hard work slogging through all the terms and conditionson each site.

Anyone out there got any suggestions based on their experiences ?

Cheers.

I did it in California a couple of years ago and found the easiest way was to just go to a travel agent and get them to put a package together for you. I priced it all up if I was to book it all myself and it was more expensive as I couldn't get the cheap hotel prices that an agent could arrange. We ended up with Kuoni and the whole thing was a breeze.

In terms of the insurance if Canada works anything like the States there will be additional costs that aren't mandatory but highly recommended to take out.

I did it in California a couple of years ago and found the easiest way was to just go to a travel agent and get them to put a package together for you. I priced it all up if I was to book it all myself and it was more expensive as I couldn't get the cheap hotel prices that an agent could arrange. We ended up with Kuoni and the whole thing was a breeze.

In terms of the insurance if Canada works anything like the States there will be additional costs that aren't mandatory but highly recommended to take out.

Taz

Thanks for the reply - it's the bit above that I'm having trouble with. Seems like you should take out the additional daily cover which is around ?8 a day and about the same for an additional driver (and suddenly the price quoted doesn't look quite so attractive).. I might take up your suggestion of getting a travel agent to quote me a package. I've done a bit of work on tinterweb but it seems there isn't much in the parks in the Rockies that isn't astronomically expensive and/or poor due to the lack of choice.

Taz

Thanks for the reply - it's the bit above that I'm having trouble with. Seems like you should take out the additional daily cover which is around ?8 a day and about the same for an additional driver (and suddenly the price quoted doesn't look quite so attractive).. I might take up your suggestion of getting a travel agent to quote me a package. I've done a bit of work on tinterweb but it seems there isn't much in the parks in the Rockies that isn't astronomically expensive and/or poor due to the lack of choice.

We took out the daily cover thing, extra driver insurance and additional legal protection. that plus adding a Satnav (pretty essential if you want to avoid barneys about navigation) and it added around $500 dollars for a fortnights hire.However it was cheaper to take out the extra stuff when we arrived at the car hire place in LA than get it beforehand. It would have been cheaper but I got over excited and upgraded from a car to a bloody massive 4x4 Jeep.

Archived