Topsport Badges in the 70s

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Anybody remember the 70's topsport football bages that were cartoon sketches of the players with captions ?

Did you have any and what did they say ?

What would they say of the players in the team now ?

Broomie Hearts

JESUS SAVES,but busby nets the rebound

bannon shoots like a cannon

and the one with the dog pissin on the phone box holding the wee team supporters meeting. :thumbsup:

Howdy Doody Jambo

Circa 1982:

"I'd rather watch Crossroads thans Hibs"

It's all comming back to me now

"enough of Rough. what about Brough?"

"happiness is a cigar called dynamite " It was a picture of someone smoking a stick of dynamite, who being 8 or 9 I thought was john Grieg. But thinking about it know I've no idea who it was.

I also had the 'Eamonn Bannon Shoots Like A Cannon'

A shark with a Hobo in its mouth with 'Busby Bites'

And I had a 'Robbo Rules OK' one.

Gilzean was the Evening News cartoonist. He had a shop off Cockburn Street where you could buy his badges or have him make customised ones to your spec. I had a few of them including the classic "Nae bother at aw tae Shuggie Shaw".

He used to be more than happy to do Gorgie Boot Boys and Gorgie Aggro badges. :thumbsup:

boy_in_maroon

I still have the scarf with a few badges and, were the cloth ones called patches? still on it from the early 70s, but the gilzean badges have long since gone, i had fozzie bear with "turnbull's muppet men" and "busby, born is the king of tynecastle park", yeah there was a giggle to be had reading these great Gilzean badges

good post!!!!!

I think some of my badges in still in my parents house, need to look when im there...

Remember as a kid having a badge that said "O'Connor's chips are better than Brattisani's" Must has been around 1978, which I assume is a reference to his chip to score the second goal when we beat Hib's 2-1 at Easter Road that year? If anyone has a copy of that please post it.

My personal favourite was the inbred dwarf sitting on a trike with the card round his neck saying "Hibs Travel club". As true today as it was all those years ago.

janie jones

One of my mates had one that said "Eamon Bannon strikes faster than British Leyland"!!

I seem to remember having a frank "the incredible hulk" liddel badge.......dear dear me.. i was only young..ish at the time

Frank Liddell Sews Up The Middle !

I've got a bag of them in the attic some where ...

I used to love going into TopSport, had a few of they badges and they might still be in the loft at my parents, probably not but I'll be keeping an eye out now :)

TopSport was quality!

Me and my mates always used to go down and the boy would have to struggle to get us a pair of Puma Dalglish Golds from the top shelf to have a look at. Never bought them yet. Used to have a right good look at them and then ask for a packet of metal studs. He must have been sick of fishing out boots for laddies to look at that they were never gonna buy.

Good times!

Archived