U19's v Aberdeen today?

Charlie-Brown

Thundercats Are Go

This match was scheduled for 1pm today at Riccarton .... anybody any updates?

Its now about half two. Hope that helps.

Footballfirst

Just back - no score in a pretty drab game played on the artificial pitch in a strong crosswind and driving rain.

Hearts started with an odd lineup with Jason Holt up front which Darren Murray proceded to change regularly throughout the game

Lyness

Mullen Balatoni Hamilton Deland

Prychynenko

Walker McGowan D Smith Morton

Holt

and finishing with

Lyness

Mullen McGowan Hamilton Deland

Kane

McKenna Hill Holt D Smith

Walker

Hearts had the best of a first half with few chances, but arguably the sheep (lambs?) had the best of the second.

Jason Holt had Hearts best chance after just 5 mins when a great cross from Mullen found him unmarked six yards out but he failed to hit the target. the only other incident of note was a cross from Smith that their keeper tipped over the top.

Aberdeen had the better chances in the 2nd half with Lyness pulling off two great saves, one from a header and the other a block on the strikers shot.

The conditions obviously didn't help, but the lack of goals is beginning to be a concern. Jamie Walker showed a couple of glimpses of his ability on the ball but for long periods was anonymous. Perhaps a couple of games back with the U17s might help his confidence.

Best for Hearts, by some distance, was Jason Holt once he dropped back to his normal midfield role. It was also good to see Chris Kane get on and he proceded to show some of the excellent defensive qualities he shows regularly with the U17s.

Just back - no score in a pretty drab game played on the artificial pitch in a strong crosswind and driving rain.

Hearts started with an odd lineup with Jason Holt up front which Darren Murray proceded to change regularly throughout the game

Lyness

Prychynenko

Holt

and finishing with

Lyness

Kane

Walker

Hearts had the best of a first half with few chances, but arguably the sheep (lambs?) had the best of the second.

Jason Holt had Hearts best chance after just 5 mins when a great cross from Mullen found him unmarked six yards out but he failed to hit the target. the only other incident of note was a cross from Smith that their keeper tipped over the top.

Aberdeen had the better chances in the 2nd half with Lyness pulling off two great saves, one from a header and the other a block on the strikers shot.

The conditions obviously didn't help, but the lack of goals is beginning to be a concern. Jamie Walker showed a couple of glimpses of his ability on the ball but for long periods was anonymous. Perhaps a couple of games back with the U17s might help his confidence.

Best for Hearts, by some distance, was Jason Holt once he dropped back to his normal midfield role. It was also good to see Chris Kane get on and he proceded to show some of the excellent defensive qualities he shows regularly with the U17s.

That amused me. Good work FF!

Are the lack of results a concern or are you happy enough that the younger lads are coming on well? Do you think it hampers the older players in the team to be playing in such a young U19 side?

I like the way hearts mix up the agegroups, but i guess there are pros and cons to it

Footballfirst

That amused me. Good work FF!

Are the lack of results a concern or are you happy enough that the younger lads are coming on well? Do you think it hampers the older players in the team to be playing in such a young U19 side?

I like the way hearts mix up the agegroups, but i guess there are pros and cons to it

I've said previously that the team isn't as strong as last season, but they have been performing better than the results suggest e.g. I was told that they should have beaten Rangers at Murray Park on Saturday. Today, I think the team missed Danny Thomson more than anyone else (he's nursing a minor knee knock). The younger ones are doing fine. In the first half I would have said that Hearts best players were the 4 x U17s. In the second half Mullen and Walker struggled a bit, but I'm more disappointed by some of the "experienced" U19s who seem happy to pass the ball around the back or lump the ball forward without any great idea about what they want to achieve.

Footballfirst

whats the script with thelas woods?

He's been injured for the last couple of months. Don't know what the problem is though.

Lyness

Prychynenko

Holt

and finishing with

Lyness

Kane

Walker

Thats interesting FF.

I was at the monthly Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Assoc (HMSA) dinner last night and JJ & BB were the guest speakers.

During the Q&A I asked them both to identify a young player currently NOT involved in the first team set up but they hoped would make a breakthrough in the next couple of seasons.

Both JJ & BB picked Jason Holt.

They likened him to Barry Ferguson (head up, looking to bring others into play), although they both mentioned that Holt is a wee bit on the small side.

BB particularly fond of the lad as he comes from Musselburgh! (as does BB)

centre forward

He's been injured for the last couple of months. Don't know what the problem is though.

Recurrence of a previous back injury I believe.

jamboinglasgow

Lyness

Prychynenko

Holt

and finishing with

Lyness

Kane

Walker

Thanks for the update, does seem to be a rather cobbled together side though some strong players in there. As you are saying the lack of goals is not good but I do wonder if they are missing Gordon Smith, playing Holt up front suggests they are missing that striker (even though both Walker and D. Smith can play upfront.)

How did Prychynenko and Hill play? Good to see Kane finally getting a game for the U19s and doing well with it. I know you really rate him and would be interesting to see a midfield pairing of Kane and Holt.

Charlie-Brown

Jason Holt sometimes played up-front in the younger age groups at U17/U15 etc albeit that was usually in the friday night games plus they also played a strict 4-4-2 so he also had a striker partner up front with him.

The U19's are playing without Scott Robinson or Gordon Smith both of whom would improve their goal threat as would last season's 2nd top scorer Craig Thomson who could still play U19 although I'm not sure what if any benefit that would provide to either him or the other kids trying to prove themselves at right back in the U19's.

As long as the best talents in that age group are developing on track then that is the main thing and results & team selections are secondary.

fatboythree

As long as the best talents in that age group are developing on track then that is the main thing and results & team selections are secondary.

this

Cheers for the updates as always guys.

Are the laddies playing during the coming week? Off the work and would consider sauntering along.

Footballfirst

Cheers for the updates as always guys.

Are the laddies playing during the coming week? Off the work and would consider sauntering along.

The U19s are away to Falkirk on Tuesday Mar 30th and away to Motherwell next Saturday Apr 3rd. Their next home game is against Hibs on Apr 10th. The U17s are at home to Dundee tomorrow (Sunday).

The U19s are away to Falkirk on Tuesday Mar 30th and away to Motherwell next Saturday Apr 3rd. Their next home game is against Hibs on Apr 10th. The U17s are at home to Dundee tomorrow (Sunday).

Cheers for that.

Bloody typical. :(

As for the U17's, is that at Riccarton?

Footballfirst

Cheers for that.

Bloody typical. sad.gif

As for the U17's, is that at Riccarton?

Yes - the official site has the game at 12 noon, although the players are supposed to meet up at 11:45 which would be more appropiate for a 1pm KO. Perhaps they only intend putting half their clocks forward.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20080611/u17s-latest-information_2244751_1326761

Archived