Ive lost my passport

easty1985

What do i do??

I go on holiday in less than 2 months!

It was due to expire at end of april/start of may - but ive obviously lost it- will i need to report this lost?? like get a police report etc- how long does this all take as i need it asap!!

Few people have said to me that i should just write a letter when i send off for my new one- just saying that its been through the wash a few times and its fallen apart, so ive had to shred it- as its unreadable??

what do you think?

chester copperpot
What do i do??

It was due to expire at end of april/start of may - but ive obviously lost it- will i need to report this lost?? like get a police report etc- how long does this all take as i need it asap!!

Few people have said to me that i should just write a letter when i send off for my new one- just saying that its been through the wash a few times and its fallen apart, so ive had to shred it- as its unreadable??

what do you think?

Missus got me one on the same day, think it was 130 odd quid. You need to phone to get an appointment I think.

Good luck, you've still got plenty o time though, so no need to panic.

P.S I know I still owe you a Strongbow :laugh:

What do i do??

what do you think?

Dont want to sound like a tosser but surely you would have needed to get one before you went on holiday anyway?

You'll need to get a new one I think (especially with it being so close to expiry). Glasgow is the place to go but I think you'd be better phoning for an appointment rather than going on the day.

Dont want to sound like a tosser but surely you would have needed to get one before you went on holiday anyway?

You'll need to get a new one I think (especially with it being so close to expiry). Glasgow is the place to go but I think you'd be better phoning for an appointment rather than going on the day.

i have just requested a lost passport form- ill fill that in and send it away, if thats not ok then ill make an apt in glasgow

If they can't fit you in at the Glasgow office (depends on the Celtic score tonight I suppose) they may try to fob you off with Liverpool or Belfast. If they do ask if you can go to Durham, normally a bit quieter.

I've lost about 3 passports. The last time I just went to post office for the application form.

Told them I needed a new one as the last one was lost. They gave me all the relevant bumf for it.

Filled it in, used their "Fast-track" service, (basically, they double check it to prove it's all in order)

and you get it in 4 weeks. About ?80 if I remember.

Mind you, I think they're moving on to the whole bio-metric doo-das now so don't know if that changes anything.

Don't bother with the police. I tried that for my 2nd one, erse on the phone asked "Where did you lose it?".

I replied "I dunno, haven't used it for years. Maybe in a house move."

"Well it's not lost then. Just misplaced."

"So what about this report number I need?"

"Can't give you one. As I said, it's misplaced, not lost."

"Aren't they the same thing?"

"Nope."

"Well, I'm going on holiday in a month, I've got to go to the passport office tomorrow, and they say I need this number.

If I don't get it, they won't give me a passport, and my holiday is up the swannie."

This was met by L&B's finest responding with a helpful "Well, that's your problem, not mine."

Phoned the passport helpline (very helpful people) to tell them this, panicking like hell, and the said don't worry about it.

Apparently the police are really bad for this and it shouldn't matter. Still, I like to comfort myself that I had a great holiday in the

caribbean while PC Plod probably had to spend the weekend working at Fester Road!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Last summer I just filled in one of they lost passport forms and it all came pretty quickly.

About ?60 I think it cost.

I'm not sure if there was some sort of change after I done it though. Think there may have been.

ArmiyaRomanova

Is it worth paying for a replacement for a lost passport when the one you've lost will be out of date soon?

Better just to renew, surely?

I P Knightley
Is it worth paying for a replacement for a lost passport when the one you've lost will be out of date soon?

Better just to renew, surely?

I think you're supposed to surrender your old passport when renewing. Couple of years since I renewed mine and I got it done through work on a two day turnaround - fairly certain I had to send in the old one with the forms.

I did passports for the family through the post office and you can pay for a checking service when you submit the forms. It costs nowhere near the amounts you're talking about for the speedy service and I managed to get my family's passports turned around in less than three weeks using this service. Actually got decent service from the people at the counter (I needed two visits and both were v. helpful) and had the feeling that by using the checking service I somehow got on a fast track anyway - this was in May which is usually quite busy.

I'd recommend that as your first port of call as the worst that can happen is the post office people tell you to go through the more expensive routes you're already considering.

I got them a year ago for myself the wife and the two kids,i think it was about 6 or 8 quid each passport for them to check it before sending it off.

It is well worth getting the checks done as it is amazing what they can refuse your application for,my toddler sons was refused cos he had his mouth open slightly in the photo and that is not allowed(i got the photos done at jessops too,specifically for the passports).

If i hadn't got the checks done my sons application would have been sent back so it was money well spent imo.

Archived