Walter Smith

Frankenstein Jambo.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Is a fantastic manager who has been there, done it and wore the t-shirt many a time. He has had success everywhere he has been...

- 8 scottish league titles

- 5 scottish cups

- 5 league cups

- 6 Manager of the year awards

- 1 Karin cup

- Saved Everton from relegation

- Raised scotlands world ranking by seventy places.

- Assistant manager for Alex Ferguson..

People may be wondering what the point in mentioning all of this is...Well, we are playing a Rangers side that, while under smith, will always be extremly dangerous and there is no shame of losing to them. (if we do)

Don't get me wrong, we can beat them, no doubt. However, they will be dangerous and I am just saying that if we do get beat, there should be no shame or knee-jerk reaction.

Smith is a ladies front bottom. I could do at least as well as he's done if I were manager of Rangers FC with all their resources (including referees).

As for being assistant to Alex Ferguson, how is that an achievement? :rofl:

Frankenstein Jambo.

Smith is a ladies front bottom. I could do at least as well as he's done if I were manager of Rangers FC with all their resources (including referees).

You think Fergie would trust anyone to be his assistant? Extremly doubt it. You must have signifacant qualities to work side by side of the greatest manager who has ever lived.

A huge achievement in my eyes.

You think Fergie would trust anyone to be his assistant?

One just has to look at some of the helmets he's trusted in the past to know that he's not all that picky.

Your Karin (sic) Cup victory is a roaster as well given it was a four team tournament. :rofl:

As for Scotland's rise up the FIFA rankings, we all know how unrealistic they are. :whistling:

Is a fantastic manager who has been there, done it and wore the t-shirt many a time. He has had success everywhere he has been...

- 5 scottish cups

- 5 league cups

- 1 Karin cup

People may be wondering what the point in mentioning all of this is...Well, we are playing a Rangers side that, while under smith, will always be extremly dangerous and there is no shame of losing to them. (if we do)

Don't get me wrong, we can beat them, no doubt. However, they will be dangerous and I am just saying that if we do get beat, there should be no shame or knee-jerk reaction.

Was it not Smith's fault that they were in that situation in the first place?

Guest Death.

Smith was a success at Evertonia?

He 'saved' them from relegation... in other words he nearly took them down?

How long did he last at Everton anyway? I bet he had a mare every year he was there which is why he got the sack.

Whats this Kirin cup pish by ra way?

Was it not Smith's fault that they were in that situation in the first place?

No, did you see the standard of players signed by Walker and Joe Royle before him?

Oh dear, HoQ is being ripped a new one. I can't see him showing up to debate his ridiculous statements.

alwaysthereinspirit

No, did you see the standard of players signed by Walker and Joe Royle before him?

Wonder if Smith would have been as good in Scotland with a non OF team? Seriously doubt it.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Oh dear, HoQ is being ripped a new one. I can't see him showing up to debate his ridiculous statements.

Ridiculous statement? So, are you telling me that Walter smith isn't a good manager? So, he has won loads of trophies and led a pish poor Ranngers team to a UEFA cup final for nothing?

Think you are talking pish.

Personally I think the guy is a roaster and a grade a prick for turning his back on Soctland for those Hunn *******s, but credit where its due - he can work the Weegie media well.

badword despise Rankers with a passion. Hope we get right intae them on Saturday!!!thumbsup.gif

I think he's a tremendous manager FWIW.

As a side point, DUFC have packed the place tonight unlike the half empty methodome had it been them in a replay against Rangers.

This.

I hate Walter Smith. Stats like are quoted show him to be something he's not.

Like Nickelback and record sales.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Ridiculous statement? So, are you telling me that Walter smith isn't a good manager? So, he has won loads of trophies and led a pish poor Ranngers team to a UEFA cup final for nothing?

Think you are talking pish.

Oh dear, therapist has not replied yet, Don't see him showing up to debate his ridiculous statements because there is no way that he could be busy doing other things other than debate on Kickback.

ToadKiller Dog

I dont think he is a great manager ,what he is for sure is a smart manager ,picked the right time to leave during his first spell when the Uglies financial dominance started to drop . And he picked a smart time to return for his second spell and a bit lucky what with the Smells going for Monkey head as manager while the banks restrict his options .

I think a better manager would have done more in the euro games during his 9 in a row spell ,just about any manager could have won the 9 in a row given

there monies spent .

He did well with limited almost non football getting to the ueffa final ,where he was destroyed by a mildly decent Zenit side

shaun.lawson

Walter Smith is an extremely good manager. It's all very well saying anyone could win the title given the state Celtic are in - but how many thought Smith would turn Rangers around so quickly when they reappointed him? As I recall, most thought it would end in tears. His grit and practical common sense have made a massive difference there; and in my view, such are their off-field problems, he's largely the reason why they've stayed afloat. That club owe him a huge debt.

Smith also revitalised Scotland after many years of shambles; and while he hardly covered himself in glory at Everton, he was working within extremely difficult constraints, at a club with perennial boardroom difficulties. Everton had been absurdly lucky to stay up immediately before Smith was appointed: they were in a heck of a mess, and someone had to do the night shift. The job he did there was stable and solid enough; very few could've done much better.

Is he in the same bracket as Ferguson, Stein, Shankly or Busby? Of course not. He's not as good as Moyes either. But it's hardly a crime not to be one of the all-time greats; and what he has achieved is tremendous, and hugely to his credit. How Rangers cope when he leaves (unless they surprise everyone and appoint the evergreen Craig Brown), I've no idea.

ToadKiller Dog
but how many thought Smith would turn Rangers around so quickly when they reappointed him? As I recall, most thought it would end in tears. His grit and practical common sense have made a massive difference there; and in my view, such are their off-field problems, he's largely the reason why they've stayed afloat.

The big LeGuen mess was manufactured from leading players who did not like his way of doing things ,it was easy for him to come in and sort that out .

On the field what there was to turn around was largely superficial not to mind there large slice of help from the GFA .

Rangers have survived off the field as lloyds have been strangely damn good to them if they had been another non football business they would have been shut down by now .

shaun.lawson

The big LeGuen mess was manufactured from leading players who did not like his way of doing things ,it was easy for him to come in and sort that out .

On the field what there was to turn around was largely superficial not to mind there large slice of help from the GFA .

Rangers have survived off the field as lloyds have been strangely damn good to them if they had been another non football business they would have been shut down by now .

That wasn't what was being said at the time at all. And without Smith, they'd surely not have won the title last season, or reached the UEFA Cup Final the year before, meaning their problems now would be massively worse.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

So what you're saying is there is no shame in losing to Rangers because they are quite good, probably the best in the league? Groundbreaking stuff. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, therapist has not replied yet, Don't see him showing up to debate his ridiculous statements because there is no way that he could be busy doing other things other than debate on Kickback.

If I could be bothered finding a face palm, I'd post it.

Seems very strange that with the final nail hammered in to the coffin of Celtic's title

bid that Walter Smith is keeping Boyd and Miller on the bench would have thought Rangers would be going all

out for the treble.

Poor management in my opinion

Frankenstein Jambo.

So what you're saying is there is no shame in losing to Rangers because they are quite good, probably the best in the league? Groundbreaking stuff. :rolleyes:

Basically, yes. However, I can guarentee that even though it is rangers, there will be a knee-jerk reaction on here if they win.. Not saying I am not guilty of a few knee-jerks myself but I will save the rant until another day as Rangers are a better force than us.

shaun.lawson

Bit harsh. The boundless optimism on here over the last few days has led, I think, to a healthy level of expectation that we could well beat Rangers. Meaning if we don't, people might overreact, go on about losing to an "awful Rangers team" or somesuch. Overreaction in both directions is what Kickback does best - even if that's more "groundbreaking stuff" on my part.

He actually replaced Howard Kendall at Goodison. He took over for season 98/99 and signed Davie Weir, John Collins, Don Hutchison, Scott Gemmill, Olivier Dacourt, Iby Bakayako, John Spencer, Kevin Campbell, Alec Cleland(!), Marco Materazzi, Steve Simonsen.

Francis Jeffers, Danny Cadamateri and Richard Dunne also played their first full season that year.

That's pratically an entire new team that Smith brought in, and he proceeded to do the square root of bugger all with them. He got sacked 4 years later, and Davie Moyes came in and saved them from relegation.

So I'm going to stick with my view that it was Smith who almost got them relegated, and it was nothing to do with the calibre of player that was already there.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Bit harsh. The boundless optimism on here over the last few days has led, I think, to a healthy level of expectation that we could well beat Rangers. Meaning if we don't, people might overreact, go on about losing to an "awful Rangers team" or somesuch. Overreaction in both directions is what Kickback does best - even if that's more "groundbreaking stuff" on my part.

If Hearts show 100% committment and passion, there won't be a problem. Fact.

If you look a bit closer you'll see the guys that are saying we have a chance to beat them are also the ones that are reasonable and have perspective in defeat.

Jambof3tornado

Uncle wattie messed it up tonight,resting players like Boyd and Miller.

Treble away and what was great was listening to the huns cheering at the tic score only to then start greetin when they lost the late goal!!!

What a good week this is turning out to be!!whistling.gif

Saint Jambo

Tonight was a good example of why he is a good conservative manager who often achieves the least that you would expect with the resources available to him, but lacks the ambition and drive needed to be a great manager.

Tonight he was preparing for a cup-quarter final knowing that Celtic had the opportunity to close the gap in the league to 7 points with 8 games to go. In reallity though with the games in hand the gap would remain effectively 13 points if Celtic won. So sitting pretty in the league and knowing that progressing in the cup would keep them on track for the treble. What does he do? He rests lots of players on the grounds that they have league games against two mid-table in the next 5 days. An truly ambitous manager would have gone all out in the cup game knowing he could afford to rest players in the league games.

Hilary Briss

Uncle wattie messed it up tonight,resting players like Boyd and Miller.

Have to agree with that. Couldnt believe the huns team tonight considering it was a semi final and they already had the league in the bag before the tinkers result tonight.

He would have been better off having a go tonight and resting players against us.

Not complaining though, as I had a few quid on the arabs at 100/30 when i saw the team news :thumbsup:

Regular John

The league was well sewn up for Rangers for before tonights games, so why Smith chose that team is beyond me.

Like Celtic's sudden collapse at the tail end of last season there's something fishy about this.

People need to remember that Rangers have lost only one league game this season.

I'd take a draw right now. It would be a good result.

willie wallace

Can't believe Smith is so scared of Hearts that he would play a cup quarter final without any of his recognised strikers when the league is already in the bag.Got what they deserved.

Hearts should not be as long as 6/1 to beat Rangers this Saturday. FACT.

nb. I will be placing a FULL BANK BET on Rangers.

- 5 scottish cups

- 5 league cups

- 1 Karin cup

He's actually won 9 titles his first was as Assistant Manager at Dundee United when they won the premier league in 1983 and Assistant at Tannadice in 79 and 80 when United won Back to Back League Cup Finals

He's actually won 9 titles his first was as Assistant Manager at Dundee United when they won the premier league in 1983 and Assistant at Tannadice in 79 and 80 when United won Back to Back League Cup Finals

What about the 2 as Souness' assistant as well.

Archived