The Fastest Man On No Legs

rossi_1983

Looks quite an interesting program on channel 5 tomorrow night

About a runner called Oscar Pistorius, who has become quite a successful runner, despite having both legs amputated.

His times are now getting to the level, where he can compete with able bodied runners, but the IAAF have amended their rules to prevent this, as they think he has an unfair advantage.

What are folk's opinions? Are the use of his mechanical legs unfair, as he uses less energy and isn't susceptible to muscle pressures of other runners, or should it be allowed because of the other factors which are working against him?

I personally think he shouldn't be able to compete against able-bodied athletes. It is maybe a bit harsh on him, after all he has been through in his life, but I think when it comes to sport there has to be differentiation between man and machine, as the potential for machine development is so great that it is difficult to know where to draw the line if they allow him to compete

Ibrahim Tall

Don't have a problem with him competing. It's not like he asked to be disabled, don't see why he should be hindered any further because some folk are scared of the competition, especially when often enough they turn out to be drug cheats themselves...

Even then, from what i've heard in the past he was still a couple sec off Olympic Qualifying time nevermind actually being able to win?

Don't have a problem with him competing. It's not like he asked to be disabled, don't see why he should be hindered any further because some folk are scared of the competition, especially when often enough they turn out to be drug cheats themselves...

Even then, from what i've heard in the past he was still a couple sec off Olympic Qualifying time nevermind actually being able to win?

As it stands, he is 1.8 secs off the winning time for the men's 200m gold in Athens, and 2.5 secs in the 400m. He only took up running in 2004, so his progression is quite remarkable.

Also, where would you then draw the line at just how much assistance athletes were allowed to have?

I personally do not believe he should be able to run in the olympics. It was proven a while back that by using the mechanical legs he has he uses less energy. In fact here is the article here -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7141302.stm

I am also under the impression that he was wanting to run in both the olympics and the paralympics and in my opinion he cannot have it both ways. Its one or the other.

I dont have anything against him competing in non championship meets where he hasnt been specifically selected to compete from his country but when it comes to the olympics, world champs etc I think you need to look at it from an athletes point of view. If you missed out a place in the olympic squad because of somebody who has been proven to have an "unfair" advantage you wouldnt be too happy about it!

Archived