Sky TV or Virgin Media???

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

I have had sky for 8 years now and due to recent problems with my sky + system i am thinking about leaving them and getting Virgin?

Anyone changed from sky to virgin recently? or vice versa??

Phone Sky and cancel and say that you cannot afford a new box and hey presto as if by magic you will have a working Sky+ box in a few days, problem solved.

virgin is superb for broadband & the V+ box.

What he says. Virgin have got their act together recently regards to the V+ box.

Nucky Thompson

I get my TV package from Sky but my telephone and broadband from Virgin.

I have been with Vigin Media/Telewest for over 10 years and have had no problems with them. I have the V+ box, broadband and telephone and it knocks spots off Sky, The V+ is a much better bet than the Sky + box, and the broadband is far superior. Certainly Sky have more HD content, but I don't want a satellite dish on my house. Tell Virgin you are changing over from Sky and I am sure you will get a good deal.

I get my TV package from Sky but my telephone and broadband from Virgin.

Ditto. Changed over and wouldnt change back. I know many people who have done the same over the last few months and ive found Virgin's customer service to be utter gash since they took over from Telewest. Sky can give you gip but when you stick to your guns they always give you what you want (unlike Virgin GRRRR).

Not read any of the other posts but sky are *****.

i had it from april last year.

October some one else got it in my stair...

October I lose my picture in 2/3's of my channels..... 4 techies later and 5 months later it never did work again... they tried to charge me for the last two months after applying credits for the first 3, see after movng house they didnt want to give me any more money...

I'm really please with the V+ box and you get free Setanta with Virgin.

Also got an offer going just now for existing customers XL package for phone, broadband and telly for 50 quid a month.

Rick Grimes

Also got an offer going just now for existing customers XL package for phone, broadband and telly for 50 quid a month.

where is that offer?

Stuart Lyon

Virgin+ is Ok but all my recorded programmes have gaps in the dialogue/soundtrack. I also get 'phantom' recordings appearing on my list of recorded programmes. At the moment it says it is recording Live FA Cup Football on Sports 2 on the 15th January!

These two faults were reported just before Christmas and the box was replaced but hey I still have the same problems.

I have been with Vigin Media/Telewest for over 10 years and have had no problems with them. I have the V+ box, broadband and telephone and it knocks spots off Sky, The V+ is a much better bet than the Sky + box, and the broadband is far superior. Certainly Sky have more HD content, but I don't want a satellite dish on my house. Tell Virgin you are changing over from Sky and I am sure you will get a good deal.

just want to ask you, if you've been a cable customer for over ten years how can you say that virgin media knocks spots off Sky, and the V+ box is a much better bet than Sky+? How can you make a comparison and say one is better than the other when you've only really used one?

where is that offer?

Just received a promo letter through the door.

EDIT: Sorry it is ?56 per month

"Be part of something special call 0800 952 8055"

I'm thinking of going to Sky, Virgin has just went **** since they took over.

Any deals on Sky.

jambos are go!

I get it for ?34.50 a month. Given ?24.50 per month discount forever at the height of the Sky/Virgin wars. Seemed to be mightily worried when I said I was a 'Trekkie' and wanted Sky 1. Virgin 1 now has some Star Trek (DS9). I also hardly ever download so they could not push their performance

Just got V+ box - its fantastic.

davemclaren
I get it for ?34.50 a month. Given ?24.50 per month discount forever at the height of the Sky/Virgin wars. Seemed to be mightily worried when I said I was a 'Trekkie' and wanted Sky 1. Virgin 1 now has some Star Trek (DS9). I also hardly ever download so they could not push their performance

Did you boldly go and tell them that.....I'll get my coat. :cool_shades:

I've had Telewest/Virgin for a few years now but I've never been happy with it. Constantly have to turn the plug on and off due to loss of program information. Also, the catch up/on demand progammes don't work half the time either. Had to get a new one as well recently since it stopped working.

I've found things a little better with Virgin than it was with Telewest. At least now the catch up tv works better than it did with Telewest. Overall though I'm still not happy with it and it does mess up quite often.

On top of that you don't get Sky One. Not a massive problem for me but it is a little annoying having to go to someone else's house just to watch 24 and Lost.

If I was to buy a new one now I'd definitely go for Sky.

Excuse my ignorance but is Virgin run through cable? I had Sky for years before I moved abroad and never had any trouble with it - however I would rather not have a dish sticking off the side of my house if I could help it. I will be moving back to the UK in a couple of years so will be interested to how things develop with both providers.

If you want the best get Sky if you want the cheapest get Virgin. Sky tv's line up is better than Virgins in every single way IMO.

If you want the best get Sky if you want the cheapest get Virgin. Sky tv's line up is better than Virgins in every single way IMO.

Exactly more content makes for the better package.

just want to ask you, if you've been a cable customer for over ten years how can you say that virgin media knocks spots off Sky, and the V+ box is a much better bet than Sky+? How can you make a comparison and say one is better than the other when you've only really used one?

Simple. I have seen friends Sky+ set up and I'm noy impressed. With the V+ you can record 2 programmes and watch a third, with Sky its watch one, record one. Sky broadband depends on BT phone lines and if you are a distance from the exchange the speed rate drops sharpky. Virgin use fibre optic cables on their own network. Also, Virgin phone service is self contained, not a BT add-on. For what I have, Sky would cost much more. Also Setanta is free with my Virgin package. lastly, as I said before, no ugly satelitte dish on my house.

Simple. I have seen friends Sky+ set up and I'm noy impressed. With the V+ you can record 2 programmes and watch a third, with Sky its watch one, record one. Sky broadband depends on BT phone lines and if you are a distance from the exchange the speed rate drops sharpky. Virgin use fibre optic cables on their own network. Also, Virgin phone service is self contained, not a BT add-on. For what I have, Sky would cost much more. Also Setanta is free with my Virgin package. lastly, as I said before, no ugly satelitte dish on my house.

You can record two programmes at once on Sky+

No Sky One which has the best shows on tv at the moment on Virgin Media or has that been re added again.

The Real Maroonblood

I have had mine for about a year. It is the best thing since slice bread.

I recently had anther standard box installed in my spare room.

I am actually paying slightly less than before.

Strange but true.

It's because of the discounts that you can get.

:fing25:

Keep the Murdoch Mafia down.

I suppose it depends what you have. Virgin would cost a lot more if I switched back and thats including having all three together. Virgin's net lately has been heehaw because they have started throttling (something Telewest point blank refused to do). You must be unlucky with the position of your house. My satellite dish is on my roof so you cant see it.

This whole debate will depend on experience though. As I said most of people I know on Virgin want to swap to Sky. I had Virgin and got shot of it, apart from the net, which im now considering getting shot of due its shockingly poor service and its decision to throttle.

I got sky at Christmas and got rid of it teh same month due to the terrible customer service.

We were told it would be ?42 for sky, phone, and broadband, so we agreed to pay it.

When the boy came to fit it all, he only did the TV and didn't touch the phone.

He said "that'll be done seperately, you need to get a BT line in first". So basically they told us that the line rental was included in the ?42 but then changed their minds, so we had the choice of paying for that on top of everything or telling them to GTF.

We took the second option.

Nelly Terraces

MOD EDIT - As Setanta sponsor the board it's not welcoming to post how to defraud them of income.

Angry Haggis

Been with Telewest\Virgin for a few years now and never had any problems.

Just cancelled with them and am getting BT Total BroadBand and BT Vision (I work for them so get it for sack all, as opposed to 35 nicker a month with Virgin).

Will report back when I get it all up and running. Heard a few gripes regarding the Home Hub also the BT Vision Box is basically a glorified freeview box with a Hard Drive. On demand content comes via the home hub through an Ethernet connection - apparently they are now sending out as part of the standard kit one of these fellies:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46494&criteria=ethernet&doy=5m3

Used to be with Sky but changed to Virgin after moving house.

Only good thing about Virgin was the free Setanta, but i would move back to Sky like a shot.

Used to be with Sky but changed to Virgin after moving house.

Only good thing about Virgin was the free Setanta, but i would move back to Sky like a shot.

Might be wrong but i think most people that say Virgia media is better is them that have never had Sky.Then again the same could be said for myself as i aint never had Virgin.Never likely to either as i don't stay in the city.

I have Virgin Media and I would be very wary about getting one of those Starview boxes.

As I understand it every request you make (change channel, etc.) goes to the Virgin Media server, so it knows where it is being called from. This means that they could eventually trace you and have a full list of all the illegal uses of their service - they will know your address.

Ladies & Gentlemen.....

Virgin - They took sky one. They dont have sky sports xtra (red button for champs league!). Their customer service is ok....ish. Their broadband is better than sky's (i have used both). The v on demand channel is laughable. Utter pish and only a small selection of the same ***** shown all over anyways.

Sky+ - Vastly better choice of channels, some HD ones (if you care about that, i dont). You do have to provide a BT line tho! (?11 month) the Sky+ is slightly poorer than virgins effort (but you can record 2 channels at once why would you need anymore? You a telly addict?)

Overall sky+ is better providing it doesnt break (mine never has) If you're a footy fan then theres only one choice - GET SKY+!!!! Virgin for the t'internet tho.

As good a one-sided, ill-informed post as you will likely find on the subject.

And Nelly T why on earth are you paying anything if you have a starview ? :eek: As long as you have a virgin point in your house you do not need to pay a penny.

Sky+ - Vastly better choice of channels, some HD ones (if you care about that, i dont). You do have to provide a BT line tho! (?11 month) the Sky+ is slightly poorer than virgins effort (but you can record 2 channels at once why would you need anymore? You a telly addict?)

You can use a Virgin line as well with Sky but since they've cocked up so many times I'm now using BT for the phone. Whack in Be broadband and it's the best of all worlds, albeit with three different companies!

I've had V+ as well, well, for about 3 weeks. After I moved last year and it was the worst pile of keek ever. Bulky, slow, unreliable. Punted it back to them and got Sky+ back in before the contract cancellation kicked in and works like a charm with everything working like it should. Sky all the way. ;):D

Me and the bird have got Virgin in the flat and get the XL package (inc Setanta), great broadband and a phoneline for ?30 a month. Great deal imo!

For an extra tenner you can also get a virgin sim card with 300 texts and 300 anytime anynetwork minutes.

Elroyofderovers

Can't beat Sky+ for TV.

Virgin broadband is the dogs though. Shame I can't get it anymore since we moved to the sticks.

Can't beat Sky+ for TV.

Virgin broadband is the dogs though. Shame I can't get it anymore since we moved to the sticks.

Your not missing much, Telewest used to be the dogs however Virgin is pish. FACT. :P

Archived