Water Damage - Sony Ericsson W595

babywhalo

Guys & girls of JKB, has anyone got any advice?

My phone did nt turn on the other day, so i went along to the Vodafone shop in the hope they could help.

The guy in the shop was quite helpful & said he could send it back & i would get a new one.

However, when he opened it up he said that it had water damage (god knows how - cant remember getting any water on it at all) & since i did nt have insurance, they would nt replace it.

Does anyone know any shops that may be able to fix it & roughly how much it would cost. I know there's a phone shop along Gorgie Road & was thinking i may take it there - anyone had any good/bad experiences there?

From initially googling it, it seems the phone may be totally goosed though, and i dont want to take it to a shop & pay for it to be partially fixed & for it to only work for a week or 2.

I guess my best bet is to sit out the remaining 6 months of my contract with my rubbish old phone.

Cheers for the help

My phone did nt turn on the other day, so i went along to the Vodafone shop in the hope they could help.

The guy in the shop was quite helpful & said he could send it back & i would get a new one.

However, when he opened it up he said that it had water damage (god knows how - cant remember getting any water on it at all) & since i did nt have insurance, they would nt replace it.

Does anyone know any shops that may be able to fix it & roughly how much it would cost. I know there's a phone shop along Gorgie Road & was thinking i may take it there - anyone had any good/bad experiences there?

From initially googling it, it seems the phone may be totally goosed though, and i dont want to take it to a shop & pay for it to be partially fixed & for it to only work for a week or 2.

I guess my best bet is to sit out the remaining 6 months of my contract with my rubbish old phone.

Cheers for the help

Was told that in less extreme cases you can dry it out either by putting it somewhere warm for a couple of days, or storing it in rice which is supposed to absorb any moisture. No idea if this actually works or not but might be worth a try!

Was told that in less extreme cases you can dry it out either by putting it somewhere warm for a couple of days, or storing it in rice which is supposed to absorb any moisture. No idea if this actually works or not but might be worth a try!

Cheers for that - Ive fired it in the airing cupboard which is pretty warm.

I will leave it for a few days with the fingers crossed...

However I have tried to turn it on - & from a webpage I just viewed it appears this is pretty much the worst thing I could have done!

netherleejambo

Had the same problem when I took a Sony Ericsson back to Carphone Warehouse - guy said it was water damage but phone had never been wet. I think it is a stock response to put you off - eventually got a new one.

Had the same problem when I took a Sony Ericsson back to Carphone Warehouse - guy said it was water damage but phone had never been wet. I think it is a stock response to put you off - eventually got a new one.

Do you mean you kept on at the guys at the shop & they gave you a new one? Or you mean you eventually got yourslf a new one?

I know nothing about these things - but the guy pointed to a wee red dot on the inside of the phone & said that meant water damage. He said when i got it, the dot would have been white. I had a white dot on the battery meaning that the battery was ok - apparently! I did actually try the battery in the wife's phone and it did work

The Old Tolbooth

Do you mean you kept on at the guys at the shop & they gave you a new one? Or you mean you eventually got yourslf a new one?

I know nothing about these things - but the guy pointed to a wee red dot on the inside of the phone & said that meant water damage. He said when i got it, the dot would have been white. I had a white dot on the battery meaning that the battery was ok - apparently! I did actually try the battery in the wife's phone and it did work

No insurance eh? :whistling:

No insurance eh? :whistling:

Haha! I never had good advice at the time of taking out the contract...

Now get back to work Mr Mitchell.

Ps hope Cheltenham was profitable for you

Pps slightly off topic but the Mrs had a wee boy last Wednesday. His name's Finlay & he's doing grand. & he was home in time to sleep all the way thru his first edinburgh derby!

Jed The Jedi

Cheers for the help

http://www.phonerepaircentre.co.uk/index.html

Give these guys a phone mate, allways take my phones there for unlocking and thay are prety good.

That happened to mine, I stuck it infront of my halogen for a couple of days and it worked fine.

That happened to mine, I stuck it infront of my halogen for a couple of days and it worked fine.

There's a little coloured dot in beside the sim-card or behind the battery that shows them that there has been excessive moisture in the phone. That's what they make the judgement based on.

Dry it out if you can.

Sounds like you might have got steaming after the derby and Stantoned yourself without even realising. Does the phone smell bad?

The Old Tolbooth

Haha! I never had good advice at the time of taking out the contract...

Now get back to work Mr Mitchell.

Ps hope Cheltenham was profitable for you

Pps slightly off topic but the Mrs had a wee boy last Wednesday. His name's Finlay & he's doing grand. & he was home in time to sleep all the way thru his first edinburgh derby!

Aww that's brilliant mate!! I'm dead chuffed for you both, say congrats to Kylie for me too please bud, the weekend/week just gets better and better! :thumbsup:

i had a sony ericsson phone years ago that was lost in 3 foot of snow in my works car park. it ended up being ploughed up and stuck in a huge pile. one of the lads found it 3 months later and it was of course dead as a dodo. ?10 to a man in a mobile repair shop had it up and running in no time

netherleejambo

Was adamant that it wasn't water damage and they eventually gave in - he didn't mention anything about red or white dots! Phone was replaced under warranty.

Was adamant that it wasn't water damage and they eventually gave in - he didn't mention anything about red or white dots! Phone was replaced under warranty.

Cheers for all the advice guys - seems all is not quite lost yet!

I will get it along to a repair shop

Benny Factor

Cheers for all the advice guys - seems all is not quite lost yet!

I will get it along to a repair shop

My blackberry's been damaged twice... once by wine and the other by beer.... and the twice i've did exactly the same thing to sort it.

Get a container(an old chinese container is a good idea), half fill it with rice, stick your phone in it, and put the lid back on.

Then put the container on top of something like a Sky box(or something along those lines), and leave it for at least a day.

Did the trick with me.

My blackberry's been damaged twice... once by wine and the other by beer.... and the twice i've did exactly the same thing to sort it.

Get a container(an old chinese container is a good idea), half fill it with rice, stick your phone in it, and put the lid back on.

Then put the container on top of something like a Sky box(or something along those lines), and leave it for at least a day.

Did the trick with me.

egg fried rice or boiled rice?

robbies-tackle

Snap! Just having the same problem with Car Phone Warehouse with my sons Sony Ericsson. Son is adamant that he never got the phone wet or damp. When the phone came back from the repair centre I was shown a picture of a red square (which was supposed to show water damage)-It could have been a picture of Mars as far as I was concerned! It has been sent back for a second opinion but I'm not hopeful. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problem with a Sony Ericsson as son has had mobiles for years and never damaged one yet.

If the water damage indicator is missing or turns red then the phones warranty is void as it has definatly came into contact with water.

blondejamtart

If the water damage indicator is missing or turns red then the phones warranty is void as it has definatly came into contact with water.

When the same thing happened to me a couple of years back, I was told that the phone didn't necessarily have to come into contact with water (or any other liquid for that matter), as the problem can also be caused by condensation if you have taken the phone from somewhere very cold to somewhere hot.

When the same thing happened to me a couple of years back, I was told that the phone didn't necessarily have to come into contact with water (or any other liquid for that matter), as the problem can also be caused by condensation if you have taken the phone from somewhere very cold to somewhere hot.

Yeah your right, even steam from a kettle can cause your phone to break!

Archived