Under fire players

Euan

Have to say it was an absolute delight to see those that have been earmarked as weaknesses in the past have fantastic games.

This is not a go at the fans who have made the comments, but more a thankyou for today's performance to Gary Glen, David Obua, Suso Santana and Jason Thompson. All were excellent in my opinion.

Have to say it was an absolute delight to see those that have been earmarked as weaknesses in the past have fantastic games.

This is not a go at the fans who have made the comments, but more a thankyou for today's performance to Gary Glen, David Obua, Suso Santana and Jason Thompson. All were excellent in my opinion.

Kudos to those players for a huge effort but also to the manager and coaching staff who got so much more out of a number of players than they had been providing.

It is good to see that so many on KB have recognised the really good performances from some of the players you mentioned. Some of them were rightly criticised in the past, it is great that they are getting such support when they do so well.

heartsfc_fan

Having a manager who knows what it means to win derbies helps big time.

No doubt Jim sat them all down and game them all a reminder of what it means to play in these matches.

I thought Jason Thomson was superb today but it was a toss up between Ruben and Big Dave for MOM.

Maybe just Ruben over the 90mins

:teehee:

Another demolition Derby.

Thomson is the worst player in this hearts team. Tried hard today, played ok, but he is never a player.

This!

tries hard but not up to it.

gorgie_rebel

Having a manager who knows what it means to win derbies helps big time.

No doubt Jim sat them all down and game them all a reminder of what it means to play in these matches.

Have a sneaking suspicion that Lockie probably added a wee bit to the team talk as well :thumbsup:

Hannibal Lecter

Thomson is the worst player in this hearts team. Tried hard today, played ok, but he is never a player.

According to one of the pundits on BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday he is going to turn out to be a good player.

Not sure I would agree with that, I've not seen anything from him to show that he is any real kind of a prospect.

Patrick Bateman

I can't understand all this "Thomson was superb" chat. You must have missed the numerous moments where he turns his back on the ball, marks absolutely nothing or fails to judge the flight of a ball. He is a terrible excuse for a footballer and doesn't deserve to play at SPL level, let alone Hearts.

Ray Winstone

Thomson was shakey - at best on Saturday, thank **** Riordan did not have a good game!

Good positive thread guys well done. Craig Thomson gave the ball away every time he touched it when he came on. boooooo! hope he never plays again

Thomson was shakey - at best on Saturday, thank **** Riordan did not have a good game!

Riordan was isolated on the wing, in no small part down to JT getting forward at every opportunity. JT also played a part in the build-up to the first goal.

Considering the terrible game he had at Motherwell, surely it suggests it's worth coaching the deficient aspects of his game, as his determination and willingness to learn/bounce-back aren't in question?

I can't understand all this "Thomson was superb" chat. You must have missed the numerous moments where he turns his back on the ball, marks absolutely nothing or fails to judge the flight of a ball. He is a terrible excuse for a footballer and doesn't deserve to play at SPL level, let alone Hearts.

Accurate post. His determination and will to win are unquestionable but he is sadly lacking in talent.

The only good thing was that his tenacity seemed to put Riordan off his game, as it did in the previous meeting at tynie. I can see him carving out a career at a bottom 6 spl side or top of the 1st div.

Once again we are back to players just needing some confidence in themselves..........and the knowledge that the manager also has confidence in them.

In that respect JJ is doing a Henry Kissinger right now. His pre and post match comments must have the players glowing when he talks POSITIVELY ......or at worst supportively ( if you've had a mare ) about their individual performances :thumbsup:

Can i just say i`d happily have any criticism i`ve given out to be rammed back down my throat.....but only if these players turn out to be long term successes.

I`m not at all trying to put a negative slant on things and i know we are all on a high, but a player one week suddenly just doesn`t become a great player when the previous he was murder, and vice versa.

There`s been too many sub standard performances this season if truth be told and we shouldn`t forget that, like we should`nt forget praising players when they play well.

Maybe JJ is the man to help players turn it around and produce consistently? I don`t expect Hearts to play great football week to week but i expect the right attitude and effort and we have went up and down on that aspect all season.

Saturday was great, but lets not get too carried away.

Thunderstruck

I would invite some of the critics of our team to have a good, long look at what goes on during the game. The workrate of everyone in the team was superb and the amount of ground covered was amazing. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the game lasts 90 minutes and a player will have the ball for 4 or 5 minutes max in the game - what they do off the ball is as (if not more) important.

An example - watch the lead up to the first goal on Saturday (not the truncated BBC effort). In the preceding play, Suso is on the left hand side of the pitch, he than tracks back to half-way, spots the break forward and sprints into a position on the right in time to take a pass from Jason Thomson (yes, Jason Thomson), nutmeg a hobo and fire in the cross that led to goal. That is probably 30 or 35 secs of play and Suso had the ball at his feet for a couple of seconds but he is watching, running, making space, creating options.

Players like Jason Thomson, Ruben (unbelievable but true) or Michael Stewart have all been subject to the critics on here because "they don't do enough in the game" when the exact opposite is true. These are the sort of guys that stop the other team and every team needs them.

Ratboy was marked out of the game by JT on Saturday to the extent that he lost the place and started arguing with his team-mates including, notably, one long range spat with his keeper. It isn't a glamour role, it doesn't come with the hollywood passes or silky dribles but the hard graft displayed and way that that JT stuck to his task on Saturday was highly commendable. Good grief, he even had time to get to the bye-line and get in some telling crosses.

Serge McMurto

I think that what Saturdays great performance shows is that we have been shortchanged by certain players, staff etc when it comes to doing their best.

I admit to having been critical of what I perceive as non triers but I am also big enough to stand up and heap encouragement and praise on the same players when they are clearly giving all for the cause that we care so deeply about.

If the people that sit around me could join in the encouragement then the atmosphere in our stadium would be even better but some seem intent on sitting on their hands or only letting their voices be heard to tell fellow fans that they are talking crap.

So lets try to raise the noise level another notch. A great finish to our season can still be achieved and given the plaudits that have flowed down Leith way this season wouldn't it be nice to end up doing what we normally do and look down on them.

FTH

Drylaw Hearts

only 1 weakness in our squad and that is our wonderful captain

Nonsense.

I'm no MS fan but to say he's our only weakness is ludicrous.

as JJ said last night; the players will have the same ability this coming saturday against Rangers, its about their application of it that will be imprtant. :rolleyes:

so here's for more of the same.

I would invite some of the critics of our team to have a good, long look at what goes on during the game. The workrate of everyone in the team was superb and the amount of ground covered was amazing. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the game lasts 90 minutes and a player will have the ball for 4 or 5 minutes max in the game - what they do off the ball is as (if not more) important.

An example - watch the lead up to the first goal on Saturday (not the truncated BBC effort). In the preceding play, Suso is on the left hand side of the pitch, he than tracks back to half-way, spots the break forward and sprints into a position on the right in time to take a pass from Jason Thomson (yes, Jason Thomson), nutmeg a hobo and fire in the cross that led to goal. That is probably 30 or 35 secs of play and Suso had the ball at his feet for a couple of seconds but he is watching, running, making space, creating options.

Players like Jason Thomson, Ruben (unbelievable but true) or Michael Stewart have all been subject to the critics on here because "they don't do enough in the game" when the exact opposite is true. These are the sort of guys that stop the other team and every team needs them.

Ratboy was marked out of the game by JT on Saturday to the extent that he lost the place and started arguing with his team-mates including, notably, one long range spat with his keeper. It isn't a glamour role, it doesn't come with the hollywood passes or silky dribles but the hard graft displayed and way that that JT stuck to his task on Saturday was highly commendable. Good grief, he even had time to get to the bye-line and get in some telling crosses.

Cracking post TS :thumbsup:

However that only explains why we might veer from Saturdays showing to perhaps a dull 1-0 win over Hamilton. It doesn't explain why, a week later, we capitulate 0-3 to Motherwell

Cracking post TS :thumbsup:

However that only explains why we might veer from Saturdays showing to perhaps a dull 1-0 win over Hamilton. It doesn't explain why, a week later, we capitulate 0-3 to Motherwell

3-1

Archived