Whos the best comedian to see live?

kearney19

Never been to a love show before, really eager to go see one live, Big Fan of Jack Dee, Jimmy Carr and Peter Kay.

Supposidly Peter Kay is touring at Newcastle but yet to be told what dates.

Has anyone seen the above comedians and what are your views on them?

Good or bad to see?

Commander Harris

I've not seen any of those guys live but I like Jimmy Carr's style, some cracking one-liners. I loved the Peter Kay stuff too but I've gone off it lately, not sure why.

I've seen Rich Hall a few times and think he's great, puts on a really good show. and if you like your musical comedy, Bill Bailey is excellent live, a fantastic show. :)

Commander Harris
Never been to a love show before, really eager to go see one live, Big Fan of Jack Dee, Jimmy Carr and Peter Kay.

Supposidly Peter Kay is touring at Newcastle but yet to be told what dates.

Has anyone seen the above comedians and what are your views on them?

Good or bad to see?

:eek:

Do yourself a favour, and go and see Ross Noble.

I'm still laughing now, and I haven't seen him in 18 months.

:laugh:

Commander Harris
Sorry, cant edit it!

Live!

I know, that's why I waited 10mins before pointing it out! :P

Ross Noble, without a single shadow of a doubt.

He's insane but also a genius at the same time.

Kearney, if you haven't seen him have a look on youtube, then just go and buy the dvds.

Ross Noble is very good because he basically just rambles and doesn't appear to have anything pre planned. Means you never know what you are going to get. I saw him live at the Pleasance and just about died laughing. I have since seen two of his live shows on DVD. One was very disappointing but the other was very funny.

Never seen Noble properly on TV alot, so Im going to have a look on Youtube for him.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've seen Jimmy Carr a few times, which should tell you that I enjoyed it.

Ross Noble, I fell asleep. I was tired and comfy.

Jerry Sadowitz is playing in Glasgow (theatre royal) on the 21st of March. Live gigs are rare, but astounding.

I just bought a couple of tickets (?41.50!) so that'll be a good night out for me!

Jimmy Carr's well worth seeing live, I'd love to see Ross Noble live, I'd also love to see Eddie Izzard, but now that he's gone Hollywood I doubt he'll ever do stand up again!

I saw Peter Kay's show on TV and DVD, I've only ever seen the one thing everytime I've seen him. It's funny the first time, but does he have any new material?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Jerry Sadowitz is playing in Glasgow (theatre royal) on the 21st of March. Live gigs are rare, but astounding.

I just bought a couple of tickets (?41.50!) so that'll be a good night out for me!

Jimmy Carr's well worth seeing live, I'd love to see Ross Noble live, I'd also love to see Eddie Izzard, but now that he's gone Hollywood I doubt he'll ever do stand up again!

I saw Peter Kay's show on TV and DVD, I've only ever seen the one thing everytime I've seen him. It's funny the first time, but does he have any new material?

I thought that as well.

Even in Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy he is using the exact same material as he uses in his live shows!

Eddie Izzard, without a shadow of a doubt. I ended up laughing so hard I just about swallowed my tongue....brilliant stuff. :)

After thinking I'd absolutely hate Jerry Sadowitz, I saw him live last summer and have to admit I thought he was pretty good. I was determined not to laugh but I totally did. Lots. His agent sat and had a beer with us afterwards and was telling us bits n bobs about him...he's a complex fella...

Since Russell Howard abandoned the circuit and went all showbiz, I need to find a new favourite this year. I'd love to see Alan Carr live too...I like the fact that he manages to do great comedy without resorting to nastiness. Ooh, and I've never seen Bill Bailey either and I'd like to do that.

I've seen loads of comedy shows and IMHO Doug Stanhope is the man.

If easily offended - as many on JKB appear to be - I suggest you stay away. ;)

christhejambo

Seen Jimmy Carr a few times. Very funny indeed. At least with him you get a bit of audiance participation-meaning its not the same pre-planned routine that you get with some other shows iv seen

For the OP, Jack Dee was superb. Im seeing Dara O'Briain on Sunday who was genius when I saw him at the Festival a couple of years ago and im really looking forward to it.

If you get the chance see Mark Watson, Russell Howard or Tony Law. All hilarious, all intelligent, and all three are probably the funniest ive ever seen.

Or see Reg Hunter. If you are easily offended dont bother!

Sexton Hardcastle

Frankie Boyle is in Scotland in a week or two but tickets on ticketmaster are messing about. After trying hard to get these and failing i found out he is playing in a small lcoal gig in Peebles. Was then gutted to find out this is sold out as well. Mite try and blag in thru the back door.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Rich Hall is very funny. saw him in London a few years ago and would love to see him again. His Tom Cruise Movies routine will have you on the deck)

Lee Hurst I've seen a few times (he has his own club in Bow, London) I hated him on telly but live he's non stop and very funny.

I saw Stewart Lee (from Lee & Herring also wrote Jerry Springer the opera) One of the best guys I've ever seen live. Very clever and and dark (if you like your comedy that way) went on an hour long rant about Jesus, anal endoscopy and Joe Pasquale.

Marcus Brigstock is also very good live. Again a bit of a ranter with a dark political side thrown in. (i'm a HUGE Bill Hicks fan so this kinda stuff floats my boat)

Peter Kay I find really dull, its just all observations and lowest common denominator stuff with him. I couldn't even finish his book.

Chad Sexington
I've seen loads of comedy shows and IMHO Doug Stanhope is the man.

If easily offended - as many on JKB appear to be - I suggest you stay away. ;)

I'd agree with that.

He's brilliantly funny but says exactly what he thinks.

And he doesn't give a feck whether you're offended or not.

My brother actually knows him quite well. Sound bloke who likes to party apparently.

Enjoyed Jerry Sadowitz & Jimmy Carr!

Really wanna see Frankie Boyle! Plus I like Frank Skinner (not always a popular choice)

:)

blondejamtart

The late Dave Allen was also much funnier live. And I know I'll probably get slated for these - but Ben Elton was quite good live when he first started out, and one of the funniest I've ever seen was Julian Clary in his days as the Joan Collins Fan Club, with ***** the Wonderdog. Not a great fan of either of those two now, to be honest, but they were good live back in those days!

Ooops - forgot the name of his dog wouldn't get through the sweary word filter!

Ross Noble

Rich Hall

Bill Bailey

Jimmy Carr

Ross Noble is probably the best I have seen.

John Findlay

Arthur Askey was good in his day.

The best comedian to see live? One that's funny.

John

Jambojohnnyboy

I've seen Jimmy Carr live twice, second time i was unfortunately in the centre of the front row.

Got it tight for the entire show!

I'd go see him live again but won't sit in the front row.

Snake Plissken

Went to see Frankie Boyle on Saturday, very funny but his support act was hysterical the Rev Obidiah Steppenwolfe III i think his name was. Saw him on TV before and he was crap (the rev dude) but live he is really funny.

christhejambo
Roy Chubby Brown and Kevin Bloody Wilson are the mutts nuts....:P

Roy Chubby Brown- without a doubt the biggest waste of an evening masqerading as entertainment. Ive seen a fair number of comedy shows, and would say i have pretty broad tastes in terms of comedy (i enjoy the occasional crude gag as much as the next guy), but his show in Aberdeen 2 years ago was utter tripe. I mustered a laugh about once in the whole evening- and that was only after the idiot fell over on stage. Totally dated material- which apparently hasnt changed in years. In the same boat as Bernard Manning. Pish

Ibrahim Tall
Went to see Frankie Boyle on Saturday, very funny but his support act was hysterical the Rev Obidiah Steppenwolfe III i think his name was. Saw him on TV before and he was crap (the rev dude) but live he is really funny.

That the guy that used to be on that weegie comedy programme on the bbc on fridays a couple year ago?

Bill Bailey was superb at the Armadillo last year. Totally original.

The funniest thing i ever saw was Jonny Vegas, years ago before the hype and the monkey !

Recently the best stand ups i would say are ;

Stephen K amos

Russel Howard

jason Byre

Jimmy Carr

But my fav is Phil Nicol ! The man is class live, espeacially at a late night show !

Romanov Stole My Pension

I saw Frankie Boyle a few weeks ago in Kilmarnock and I was really surprised by how good that support act was

seen most of the acts mentioned here, and there are a few really good shouts.

personal live faves are rich hall, phil nichol, reg hunter (top bloke and a mate of cludgie and i) jason byrne, adam hills, tim minchin....

i could go on all night to be honest.

got to agree with super vlad, phil nichol, at a late show and all adrenalinned up is dangerous and hilarious. reg, not for the faint at heart, but i must say i think it would be difficult to be offended by him too much. he's very, VERY sweary, but he's as much a philosopher as he is a comedian.

not a huge fan of jerry sadowitch but his close up magic tricks are absolutely brilliant.

frankie boyle is terrific, but then he writes most of jimmy carrs material so you know kinda what you're getting along with his more topical stuff.

biggest comedian i can think of right now is jimmy calderwood, cos he is always hilariously bitter ;)

Polmontjambo
biggest comedian i can think of right now is jimmy calderwood, cos he is always hilariously bitter ;)

She's here all week -try the veal!!

;)

Saw Hector Nicol when he was live (Tranent Labour Club)but now hes no live so dont think he counts.BTW he was brilliant.

Archived