Walking

Tazio

I've taken to walking to and from work every day and generally trying to avoid using the bus at all.

As I don't go to the gym or play any sport apart from golf I reckon it's a good way to stay fit.

I was wondering how an hour per days brisk walking compares to other forms of exercise?

Probably the equivelant to a light session in the gym so well worth doing i'd say. Maybe burn 200+ cals? A 10 min jog on the treadmill burns about 100 cals so it must be more than that.

It isn't actually about calories and weight loss. No problems there luckily, I'm pretty skinny naturally. More about general fitness.

walking is just as good as jogging or swimming for fitness. probably better than jogging as there's a lot less stress on the old bod.

i often walk instead of getting the bus but that's more to do with the utterly dire state of the lothian buses service. voted best bus company my erse.

Malcolm Tucker

It would take me bloomin' ages to walk to my work, the 11 bus is my friend.

If I lived slightly nearer my work I'd definitely walk. One because it's good to get some good old-fashioned fresh air, and 2 because I hate buses.

walking is just as good as jogging or swimming for fitness. probably better than jogging as there's a lot less stress on the old bod.

i often walk instead of getting the bus but that's more to do with the utterly dire state of the lothian buses service. voted best bus company my erse.

Moan, moan and moan.

Sergio Garcia

I try to walk everyone possible, cant to my work as live a 55 minute train ride away. But out and about in lanark I enjoy a good walk! Nice to breath the fresh air!

I started walking my sister's babies for her in August last year, I generally do 4.5 - 5 miles each week night and between 8-10 miles on weekend days. Have to say my fitness is better than it has been for a long time, and I feel so much better for getting outside in the fresh air and am sleeping better than I have done for years. I also notice the season's changing a bit more, it's great just now seeing spring finally arrive!

Doing this has made me more likely to walk for things I would have jumped in the car to do last year, like popping out for milk. I am even going to do the Moonwalk this year - would never have considered, or been able to do, something like that a year ago.

I started walking my sister's babies for her in August last year, I generally do 4.5 - 5 miles each week night and between 8-10 miles on weekend days. Have to say my fitness is better than it has been for a long time, and I feel so much better for getting outside in the fresh air and am sleeping better than I have done for years. I also notice the season's changing a bit more, it's great just now seeing spring finally arrive!

Doing this has made me more likely to walk for things I would have jumped in the car to do last year, like popping out for milk. I am even going to do the Moonwalk this year - would never have considered, or been able to do, something like that a year ago.

I don't want to be wide, but are these babies babies or dugs?

i like a moan yes. lothian buses service is rank.

What's rank about it?

Back on topic, I walk pretty much everywhere. I work in Livingston, so obviously have to get the bus there, but walks to Tynecastle, Edinburgh Park, Princes Street etc and back from Sighthill are regular for me.

I don't want to be wide, but are these babies babies or dugs?

They are 'proper' babies - my sister has 10 month old triplets, so I take them long walks to give her and her husband some time to themselves to go shopping or just rest etc. As you might imagine they are pretty knackered looking after the three of them so me getting taking them out is appreciated by them, and is getting me fit in the process.

They live in Baberton so I take the triplets anywhere that I can walk to and back within 3 to 3.5 hours. I even managed to get to Tynecastle one Sunday afternoon.

jambogaz1968

I walk as much as possible?

just yesterday walked to my mum's from gorgie to bottom of leith(thr n back)

camera in hand :thumbsup:

i like a moan yes. lothian buses service is rank.

YES!

I'm so ****ing sick of Lothian Buses right now.

Every now and then I walk to work (I'm two buses away) takes about an hour and ten minutes. Nice walk as well...apart from the end bit!

I walk as much as possible?

just yesterday walked to my mum's from gorgie to bottom of leith(thr n back)

camera in hand :thumbsup:

Aha, a wee clue there gaz? :whistling:

They are 'proper' babies - my sister has 10 month old triplets, so I take them long walks to give her and her husband some time to themselves to go shopping or just rest etc. As you might imagine they are pretty knackered looking after the three of them so me getting taking them out is appreciated by them, and is getting me fit in the process.

They live in Baberton so I take the triplets anywhere that I can walk to and back within 3 to 3.5 hours. I even managed to get to Tynecastle one Sunday afternoon.

Don't leave them too long or you'll have more babies to walk in a few months time

jambogaz1968

Aha, a wee clue there gaz? :whistling:

:lol:

Maybe mate :thumbsup:

but thr is many ways to get to leith :whistling:

Buffalo Bill

The wife and I took our daughter to the zoo for her birthday treat yesterday afternoon and my legs were trembling by the time I pushed her in the buggy up to the top of Corstorphine Hill; where great views of course await.

We could've hopped on board the safari bus/train thing but that would be cheating.

I feels good to go walking. I go walking most weekends, either in the country or in the city.

Walking won't make you any fitter, it will jsut build up your leg muscles.

In order to get fitter you would need to actually get your heart going.

The wife and I took our daughter to the zoo for her birthday treat yesterday afternoon and my legs were trembling by the time I pushed her in the buggy up to the top of Corstorphine Hill; where great views of course await.

We could've hopped on board the safari bus/train thing but that would be cheating.

I feels good to go walking. I go walking most weekends, either in the country or in the city.

Your wallet would ave taken a bashing with that day out!

My girlfriend would have been on that bus!She works there.

Buffalo Bill

Your wallet would ave taken a bashing with that day out!

My girlfriend would have been on that bus!She works there.

I'm not normally a big fan of Edinburgh Zoo but between 2pm-5pm yesterday the weather was nice and the place was deserted.

It's the first time I've ever been there when it's been peaceful.

My favourite thing in the zoo is the porcupine.

ALSO: It's dead on boxing day. I went rough as hell a couple of years ago after watching the godfather part two and drinking a shot every time someone spoke italian, shrugged or hugged someone. Great day though.

Archived