Murray v Federer

Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson

Anyone watching this match live on Eurosport? Murray was unlucky to lose the first set on a tie break but took the second set 6-3.

RockyBalboa
Anyone watching this match live on Eurosport? Murray was unlucky to lose the first set on a tie break but took the second set 6-3.

Murrays doing him. 1 set all break point.

Nucky Thompson
And in true Scottish style I bet he throws it away.
2 break points he threw away there:rolleyes: Good game.

RockyBalboa
2 break points he threw away there:rolleyes: Good game.

Winning 5 - 3 the final set. Go on Andy son. :cool:

I P Knightley
Winning 5 - 3 the final set. Go on Andy son. :cool:

Looks like someone has been teaching him how to serve.

The scoreboard says he capitulated a little in the first set tie-break but the commentary tells me that Federer has been playing at his usual high standard.

If only Murray could play like this in every game, then he wouldn't be so inconsistent (copyright Bryan Robson).

'Mon the Murray!

RockyBalboa

Brilliant win for Murray, looks sharper stronger and his serving hasn't half improved. Made it look easy. Well done the Scotsman :)

Nucky Thompson
Brilliant win for Murray, looks sharper stronger and his serving hasn't half improved. Made it look easy. Well done the Scotsman :)
Aye well done:) What about this 'hot yoga' he's doing to improve his fitness, yoga in a sauna:eek:

RockyBalboa
Aye well done:) What about this 'hot yoga' he's doing to improve his fitness, yoga in a sauna:eek:

Whatever works I suppose :eek::)

A brilliant result for Murray - he must be in the top ten now - what are his odds for Wimbledon? Must be worth a bet.

Nelly Terraces

Good win. Hobo barsteward. Sat next to his mum and bruv on way back from Madrid in October. Totally up themselves.

Pete Seeger
Good win. Hobo barsteward. Sat next to his mum and bruv on way back from Madrid in October. Totally up themselves.

Renowned for it around these parts. His mum's just one of those really pushy parents.

Can't stand the hobo baw bag. Bottles it when it comes to the majors. A bit like his team and the Scottish Cup. :)

Can't stand the hobo baw bag. Bottles it when it comes to the majors. A bit like his team and the Scottish Cup. :)

He just beat the best tennis player in the world. For a second time in a row. :confused:

Nucky Thompson
He's as much a hobo as Stephen Hendry is a Jambo:rolleyes:

chester copperpot
He's as much a hobo as Stephen Hendry is a Jambo:rolleyes:

Stephen Hendry can go away and eat his own shiiiiite.

Useless jambo is the word.

Well done Andy........... Ya hobo clown :laugh:

Anyone who takes themselves too seriously on here needs a word wi themself.

FTH

crazy_jambo_2006

He may be a Hibbie. But he's a Scotsman and a potential Wimbledon Champion. I will support any Scotsman.

He may be a Hibbie. But he's a Scotsman and a potential Wimbledon Champion. I will support any Scotsman.

Super. :)

Miserable teutcher, badly needing a haircut, playing a game for poofs.

And a hobo to boot.

Magic

PsychocAndy

I am chuffed that a Scot has won today against the best in the world, but he's said himself that clay or hardcourt are his thing, and like his team cant win on grass

Pete Seeger
Well done Andy mate!

Doing it for Scotland, dont care if your a Hibs fans!

Well done!

Doing what for Scotland? He won a game of tennis, not a war on aids and junkies

I P Knightley
A brilliant result for Murray - he must be in the top ten now - what are his odds for Wimbledon? Must be worth a bet.

Unfortunately, he gets the same ranking points for beating Federer in round 1 as he would have had for beating me.

The way he's going in round 2 - typical slouching, lackadaisical, error-strewn no first serve stuff - it looks like all he's done is clear Fed out of the way for the others in the Top 10 to gain or maintain points advantages over him.

It depends on the points that Berdych & Gasquet are defending but I reckon that Murray needs at least a Semi-Final to get back into the top 10.

Unfortunately, he gets the same ranking points for beating Federer in round 1 as he would have had for beating me.

The way he's going in round 2 - typical slouching, lackadaisical, error-strewn no first serve stuff - it looks like all he's done is clear Fed out of the way for the others in the Top 10 to gain or maintain points advantages over him.

It depends on the points that Berdych & Gasquet are defending but I reckon that Murray needs at least a Semi-Final to get back into the top 10.

Looks like he's sneaked it. Winning on a tie-break against the world No.30 who's way out of form is hardly earth-shattering stuff though!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

He just won his 2nd Round match against Verdasco 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-5).

Apparantly played ****e but won, which is a good sign.

Davydenko next in the Quarters.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Looks like he's sneaked it. Winning on a tie-break against the world No.30 who's way out of form is hardly earth-shattering stuff though!

Well he beat one of the greatest ever tennis players in the last round so it evens itself out I think.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Playing in front of a packed arena against the greatest player ever on Monday, to playing against the World No.30 today in front of about 3 people.

I wonder why he wasn't quite as up for it as he was the other day.

Anyway, a win is a win and I fully expect him to beat Davydenko in the Quarters.

Playing in front of a packed arena against the greatest player ever on Monday, to playing against the World No.30 today in front of about 3 people.

Anyway, a win is a win and I fully expect him to beat Davydenko in the Quarters.

I watched the match on Eurosport today. He was very negative, much as Federer said after being beat. He just waits on the baseline for the opposing player to make a mistake.

But if thats his game and he carries on winning, you cant knock it.

I P Knightley

But if he's going to make it up the rankings, he's going to have to learn to swat these people aside in circumstances like today. He'll have been upset by the 'early' start, the wind and the mental exhaustion of beating Fed.

The game against diddydonkey could go either way. If Murray has his focused head on he'll walk it; as he will if Diddydonkey has a bet on the game ;) but he didn't get to world #3 by being a pushover.

Anyone in the top 50 will give you a tough game. There is very few easy games in tennis. Another decent win.

chester copperpot
Anyone in the top 50 will give you a tough game. There is very few easy games in tennis. Another decent win.

Ok Brad Gilbert ;)

shaun.lawson

Interesting. I've always thought Judy and Jamie come across really well: her not at all pushy (unlike so many ghastly tennis parents), but very charming, smart and level-headed, and Jamie's great! At Wimbledon last year, you could almost see him thinking "I get to hang out with some of the most beautiful women in sport, there's no real pressure on me to win unlike my bro, thousands of people watch me... and I get paid for the privilege? WTF?"

But then there's Andy. Personally, I've never liked him: nothing to do with him being a Hibs fan or a Scot, and everything to do with his histrionics on court, utterly dull demeanour off it, and the fact that he comes across as, well, a bit of a bawbag really. But then, being a selfish bawbag might be just the quality he needs if he's to win a Grand Slam: it didn't stop McEnroe, Connors, Nastase or Agassi (at Murray's age), did it?

Thing is though, I also often get the sense that the public grossly underestimates just how tough it is to win a Grand Slam in today's ever more competitive tennis world. Murray is surrounded by many players who've had to fight their way up from extreme poverty, and have a fire and desperate will to win that isn't something you're just born with. Moreover, he has no obvious weapon, has yet to reach even a Grand Slam quarter-final, and what Federer said after his defeat the other day rings very true. It is phenomenally difficult to consistently win via a baseline, counterpunching game, especially in Grand Slams, which provide a massive physical and mental test in five-set matches over a full fortnight.

When he first broke through, I said Murray had until the end of 2009 to win a Grand Slam, or be swept away by the new wave of even more talented youngsters. I made a similar prediction regarding Henman (who I consider to have over-achieved given his lack of real weapon and fragile build, and been a victim of a press and public which just do not understand tennis) when he first emerged, and was proven right: if you don't win a major early on in your career, the chances are you won't at all.

In my view, Murray will start to be a contender at Slams from this year's Wimbledon onwards: but his targets this year should involve reaching the top five and at least one GS semi-final, and it's next year's Wimbledon and especially the US Open that we should all watch particularly closely.

SL, I support him as a Scot, and hope he does well at Wimbledon, although I don't think he'll be popular if he wears his saltire baseball cap! Imagine,a Scot actually doing well, or winning Wimbledon! Who would have thunk it!

I have heard about English tennis fans wearing t-shirts saying "Anyone but Murray". That's not very British of them.

Archived