Jeff Healey RIP

geddy

Just found out the sad news that Jeff Healey the fantastic Canadian guitarist died last night after a brave fight against cancer.

He was not only a great blues and rock player but also an excellent jazz player too.

Some of you may only know him for his role in the Patrick Swazie(?) movie "Roadhouse from a few years ago.

Blind from the age of 1 year old he had a distinctive style playing his guitar on his knee and having his thumb going over the top of the neck.

He was often asked (by stupid folk) how he played guitar being blind! He had 2 stock answers..."How do you play it with eyesight?" and "God. I'm blind...I'm blind!"

He leaves behind his wife and 2 kids 13 and 2 years old.

As a fan for many years my thoughts are with his family.

Thanks to Jeff for the music and memories (last time I saw him was Sweden rock fest where he was in excellent form).....

RIP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJh3KaIKDAw

For those who've never seen Jeff Healey, this is quite a good example of his talent, he was never my favourite, but he could still play a pretty mean blues solo.

I found out last night that another music hero of mine died last week, Larry Norman, guitar legends are dropping like flies.

Cheers for posting a bit of Jeff Healey up for those who don't know who he is.

I always loved when he got up and jumped about! Then one of the band would siddle up to him and gently lead him back to the mike stand!

Checked out Larry Norman...see why you like him. Good player and his lyrics (although a bit "christian" for me) seem quite clever and witty.

Cheers for posting a bit of Jeff Healey up for those who don't know who he is.

I always loved when he got up and jumped about! Then one of the band would siddle up to him and gently lead him back to the mike stand!

Checked out Larry Norman...see why you like him. Good player and his lyrics (although a bit "christian" for me) seem quite clever and witty.

Yeah, the thing about Larry Norman was that he wasn't at all liked by the conservative Christians in the US, but he lived his life the way he felt was right, he was a good guy and an inspiration to many including U2 and The Pixies.

Archived