Jim Telfer on the 1990 Grand Slam, and next weekend's Calcutta Cup

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article7052426.ece

The pedant in me would argue that it's sensible to actually beat England before claiming you're better than us; the realist in me strongly suspects he's right. If Scotland don't win next weekend, I'll be very surprised: not that, given how pathetic England are, it'll mean very much anyway.

Geoff Kilpatrick

http://www.timesonli...icle7052426.ece

The pedant in me would argue that it's sensible to actually beat England before claiming you're better than us; the realist in me strongly suspects he's right. If Scotland don't win next weekend, I'll be very surprised: not that, given how pathetic England are, it'll mean very much anyway.

England will win easily.

shaun.lawson

England will win easily.

This is to neglect the rather crucial point that at present, England are to international rugby union what King Herod was to child welfare.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This is to neglect the rather crucial point that at present, England are to international rugby union what King Herod was to child welfare.

England aren't that bad - they beat Wales easily and could have sneaked it against Ireland. They were turgid in Rome but they got the result.

I fancy a pen fest for the Calcutta Cup with England winning 21-9.

What a mess Telfer made of Scottish club rugby when he forced through the creation of the regional sides.

Buffalo Bill

I was in Aberdeen to watch Hearts play like England that day.

England will win easily.

They will indeed. Scotland will end up with NIL points this season.

The Old Tolbooth

I'm with Shaun on this one, I think Scotland have a very good chance of beating England and the price about Scotland to win is too high given that England could quite easily have been sitting on 3 losses from 3 games just like Scotland are right now.

Wales were unlucky against England and if they hadn't lost a man to the sin bin, would have beaten them (correct decision though), and for all their possession against Ireland, they did absolutely nothing with it and the Irish picked them off almost when they chose to. I've rarely seen a poorer England side to be honest and Scotland should go into this game believing they can win it as they've beaten far better England teams in the past when the odds were stacked a lot higher against us getting something.

Denny Crane

What a mess Telfer made of Scottish club rugby when he forced through the creation of the regional sides.

Do you think the likes of Melrose, Boroughmuir, Accies et al would have been able to: a) keep most of the top Scottish players and B) fair any better than (or matched) the Edinburgh & Glasgow pro teams against the likes of Munster, Leicester & Toulouse. Wales felt compelled to go down the regional route too remember - albeit their teams (namely Blues & Ospreys) have had a bit more success than our two.

Denny Crane

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article7052426.ece

While I still expect you to beat us (although I await to be pleasantly surprised) it will not mask the fact that England are under-performing at international level. Unless Johnson can devise a gameplan to bring in his backs more often then questions will remain about his ability to coach at this level.

Archived