Young Scottish Strikers

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

This season has shown a couple of strikers in SPL (and SFL) teams who have been coming on well and showing some potential. I think it looks good for Scotland that these guys are showing their ability.

Jamie Murphy - Motherwell and Scotland U21 - 20 years old - Has done well this season despite under Gannon not playing in his natural upfront role. Scored against Kilmarnock which was his second goal in two games. Scored 4 goals in 7 appreances for Scotland U21s. Scored 4 goals this season for Motherwell in the SPl and is capable of scoring more.

Ross Forbes - Motherwell and Scotland U21 - 20 years old - Started really brightly at the begining of the season earning an early young player of the month. Scored 5 times in Motherwells opening 10 games. Been a bit quieter since but still has great promise.

David Goodwillie - Dundee United and Scotland U21 - 20 years old - Has had a good scoring record this season. Was the youngest SPL scorer till Fraser Fyvie scored against us. Had a fight early on in the season but has done well since. Has scored 6 goals in his last 11 games (including 2 cup games.)

Chris McGuire - Aberdeen (Kilmarnock on loan) and Scotland U21 - Had a quiet time this season at Aberdeen, however sent out on loan to Killie and has scored 3 goals in his last 4 games. Scored 2 goals in 3 games for Scotland U21s.

Michael Paton - Aberdeen - Came into the first team more this season after loan spells with Brechin City. Has scored only 2 league goals this season but he has looked more and more likely to score more.

Leigh Griffths - Dundee and Scotland U21 - 19 years old - After a good scoring record at Livingston 22 goals in 47 games, he moved in the Summer to Dundee where he has scored 11 goals in 19 games for the league leaders. Has played for Scotland U21 and the Scotland B team where he scored a goal.

Obviously Gary Glen could still be among this lot, he has the potential he just needs the chances and determination to do it which personally think he will do under JJ. If there is any others I have missed around this age or slightly younger could they put it up (I could also mention Smith and Pum but just not at the moment.)

JamboJohn1874

Obviously Gary Glen could still be among this lot, he has the potential he just needs the chances and determination to do it which personally think he will do under JJ. If there is any others I have missed around this age or slightly younger could they put it up (I could also mention Smith and Pum but just not at the moment.)

I think the jury is still out on Glen, although if JJ adopts his usual big guy up front approach Glen may well be suited to feeding off this.

Archived