Alan Hansen

championsleaguefan

championsleaguefan

Quote: Only 2 stadiums make me feel special Anfield and Wembley. He just said this live on the Carling cup program. Shearer retorted with did you not play for Scotland what about Hampden. LOL showed him up big tim he had no reply.

Cardiac Rucksack

Dont mind Hansen, They are the two stadiums he will have had most success at so you can see why they are special. Never really did it in a Scotland kit as far as I am aware.

To be fair Hampden was a run down dump when he played for Scotland and apart from the South Stand it still is.

Quote: Only 2 stadiums make me feel special Anfield and Wembley. He just said this live on the Carling cup program. Shearer retorted with did you not play for Scotland what about Hampden. LOL showed him up big tim he had no reply.

Ever since Alexander III fell off a cliff, Scots have been selling their souls for the filthy lucre!!!

Was he a regular for Scotland back in the day? I thought he was dingied for the two Aberdeen centre backs. That would go some way to explaining why he cannot be arsed with the ****hole that is Hampden, he hardy got a game.

MacDonald Jardine

Was he a regular for Scotland back in the day? I thought he was dingied for the two Aberdeen centre backs. That would go some way to explaining why he cannot be arsed with the ****hole that is Hampden, he hardy got a game.

Not really: you're right it tended to be Miller and McLeish.

The funny thing was the English media could never understand how a world class player in the greatest club team in the world couldn't get a game.

His **** up against Russia in the 82 World Cup didn't help him much.

Cardiac Rucksack

He seems to get a bad rep with the tartan army because he doesnt share there parochial attitude towards our southern neighbours.

Its been a long time baby

He has every right to choose what grounds he likes!!! Maybe he didnt like Hampden, I dont, if you asked me I would say Tynecastle and would have to think hard about another, its a dump and in my lifetime always has been!! Scotland over looked him over Miller and McLeish, good players yes but Hanson was part of a very successful Liverpool back four who were one of the best club teams in the world at the time.

Aye,that and choosing when he was fit for internationals.It's not a new thing,players deciding they're injured when they don't fancy a friendly Scotland game.Fantastic player in his day but players who don't think its an honour to play for your country worries me.I wouldnae trust them!

Seymour M Hersh

Not really: you're right it tended to be Miller and McLeish.

The funny thing was the English media could never understand how a world class player in the greatest club team in the world couldn't get a game.

His **** up against Russia in the 82 World Cup didn't help him much.

Silly Miller every bit as much to blame there.

For me he still talks far more sense than the myriad of so called commentators who cover our games up here.

Alan Hansen or Craig Burley ?

Alan Hansen or Charlie Nicholas ?

Alan Hansen or Chick Young etc etc

I know who I'd rather listen too. As for Hampden in my opinion, a dump and a complete waste of money spent redevelopin it. Money which should have been spent on developing proper pitches for youth development in this country

For me he still talks far more sense than the myriad of so called commentators who cover our games up here.

I know who I'd rather listen too. As for Hampden in my opinion, a dump and a complete waste of money spent redevelopin it. Money which should have been spent on developing proper pitches for youth development in this country

Agreed. He talks sense and just like a Scottish footballer with ambition wants to play in England, a tv pundit is the same. Can hardly blame him for his lack of affinity with Hampden. He got a raw deal after his ****** up from the 'best fans in the world'. He was a world class centre half who wass never made welcome and vilified for that error. Mcallister was the same after his penalty miss.

IIRC in Alex Feguson's autobiography, he (Ferguson) implies that when he told Hansen he was not going to be in the squad for Mexico 86, Hansen took it very well (i.e. better than he should have taken it). Liverpool clearly meant a lot more to Hansen than Scotland ever did.

Its been a long time baby

IIRC in Alex Feguson's autobiography, he (Ferguson) implies that when he told Hansen he was not going to be in the squad for Mexico 86, Hansen took it very well (i.e. better than he should have taken it). Liverpool clearly meant a lot more to Hansen than Scotland ever did.

What he meant to do, roll around the ground and cry, say that he never wants to play for scotland again? So what if playing for Liverpool meant more to him than Scotland, end of the day its your club that help pays the mortgage!

If I had one chance to play just one game of football and the choice was playing for Hearts at Tynecastle or playing for Scotland at Hampden, playing for Hearts at Tynecastle would win everytime.

What he meant to do, roll around the ground and cry, say that he never wants to play for scotland again? So what if playing for Liverpool meant more to him than Scotland, end of the day its your club that help pays the mortgage!

If I had one chance to play just one game of football and the choice was playing for Hearts at Tynecastle or playing for Scotland at Hampden, playing for Hearts at Tynecastle would win everytime.

My point was just that when most players are told they are missing out on representing their country at a world cup - the natural reaction would be to be totally gutted. Ferguson implied that Hansen seemed to take it surprisingly well.

Had the misfortune of meeting this tool a few years ago in Edinburgh airport, when Scotland were playing, I said to him I was surprised he was not watching the match his reply was that he only watched good teams.

Total tool of the highest order.

Had the misfortune of meeting this tool a few years ago in Edinburgh airport, when Scotland were playing, I said to him I was surprised he was not watching the match his reply was that he only watched good teams.

Darn him for not watching Scotland :whistling:

Hampden, in the days of standing on dirty terraces was an atmospheric stadium. Mow it's a dead dump, no atmosphere, and unless you are viewing from the new stand watching the game is difficult.

Hampden is not fit for purpose. It is a national embarrassment, football authorities don't care about because , I'm all right jack i get a good seat!

Darn him for not watching Scotland :whistling:

I couldnt care wether he watched Scotland or not, but as a Scot I found his attitude towards the national team he played for a disgrace

Hampden, in the days of standing on dirty terraces was an atmospheric stadium. Mow it's a dead dump, no atmosphere, and unless you are viewing from the new stand watching the game is difficult.

Hampden is not fit for purpose. It is a national embarrassment, football authorities don't care about because , I'm all right jack i get a good seat!

Yes - in the days when Hansen was playing for Scotland.

I agree entirely with you about Hampden nowadays. If they gave out prizes for designing an awful stadium (and spending loads of money in the process) Hampden would be way out in front.

I couldnt care wether he watched Scotland or not, but as a Scot I found his attitude towards the national team he played for a disgrace

There are thousands out there with the same attitude. darn them, darn them to hell.........................

this_is_my_story

Hansen is a good pundit.

He doesn't just sit on the fence and trot out moronic clich?s, as so many other clowns who get the tv gig seem to do.

He's opinionated, outspoken, and isn't afraid to say what he thinks - which is what I like in a pundit.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I was lucky enough to watch Hansen play a few times for his club and he was truly world class and a model pro.

Sir Alex shafted him so not surprised his Scotland experiences are not his most memorable.

Great, great player.

Loving your country doesn't mean to say that you've got to pretend to the rest of the world that Hampden wasn't/isn't a dump.

Besides such was Liverpool's dominance Hansen played at Wembley more often than Hampden.

He had 13 caps at Hampden

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_player_profile.cfm?page=822&playerID=113787&CFID=2863928&CFTOKEN=44950016

But he played in 17 Wembley finals winning 11 and losing 4.

1 European Cup Final

3 FA Cup Finals

1988(lost)

5 League Cup Finals

1987(lost)

8 Charity shield

1977(shared)

1983(lost)

1984(lost)

1986(shared)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Apparantly had a history of travelling with sqauds only to pull out with an injury and insist on going back to Liverpool for treatment. Fergie was giving him the benefit of the doubt then he did the same thing before the qualifier in Carddiff (85?) and Fergie made up his mind.

Fergie also said none of the Liverpool boys would give up info on their clubmates who were playing for other countries. Asked about Rush and got a few non-commital responses from Hansen, Nicol, Dalglish etc, and had to wait for Souness to tell him later on in private.

I don't really mind him on the telly, generally speaks sense.

boy_in_maroon

never liked him since he quoted engerlund as "we" during one of their "world cup winning campaigns" silly fellow

Hansen is a good pundit.

He doesn't just sit on the fence and trot out moronic clich?s, as so many other clowns who get the tv gig seem to do.

He's opinionated, outspoken, and isn't afraid to say what he thinks - which is what I like in a pundit.

Only problem is his opinions are second rate, "you'll win nothing with young boys", etc. etc. He speaks out fearlessly from the safety of a TV studio. He's never managed as much as a chip shop. Plus his English bias is sickening.

Plus his English bias is sickening.

90% of the audience is English. Also, when talking about England, what do you want him to say? Tear them a new one for no reason because that is how the stereotypical Scot should behave?

If Hansen wasnt on the BBC then we would have the same people greeting about them having no Scots in their line up.

rudi must stay

that's the way Hansen is. He likes to have the smart reply, at someones expense usually. I don't mind him tbh, he knows what he's talking about and understands the tactics better than most.

this_is_my_story

Only problem is his opinions are second rate, "you'll win nothing with young boys", etc. etc. He speaks out fearlessly from the safety of a TV studio. He's never managed as much as a chip shop. Plus his English bias is sickening.

Not sure what you're getting at there, to be honest. Are you saying that anyone offering their opinion from anywhere other than a TV studio should/would be doing so with fear?!

Hansen has said in the past that he never wanted to be involved in football management. As far as his 'bias' with England is concerned, in the past he's given positive opinions on guys he obviously thinks are very talented England players. What's wrong with that? Or is he supposed to deride them just because he's Scottish?!

There's quite a few players over the years have helped make Hampden special to me.

Hansen aint one.

If he was still age to play footie, he would invoke the rule, "I've been spoutin tosh now in this country for 30 years so that makes me eligable"

Fabiooo, cooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :verymad:

Jam Tarts 1874

Some of the comments on this thread just high-light why Scotland as a nation has become a joke. Bitterness and parochial small-mindedness spewing out of every orifice.

Hansen doesn't owe Scotland anything, he made a sucess of his life - good luck to him.

Some of the comments on this thread just high-light why Scotland as a nation has become a joke. Bitterness and parochial small-mindedness spewing out of every orifice.

Hansen doesn't owe Scotland anything, he made a sucess of his life - good luck to him.

Agreed. Was a class act as a player. Miller was unable to play beside him so it was Hansen that ended up getting dropped for McLeish.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I like Hansen and think he's a pretty good pundit.

Also going to go against the grain and say that I love Hampden.

Not sure what you're getting at there, to be honest. Are you saying that anyone offering their opinion from anywhere other than a TV studio should/would be doing so with fear?!

Hansen has said in the past that he never wanted to be involved in football management. As far as his 'bias' with England is concerned, in the past he's given positive opinions on guys he obviously thinks are very talented England players. What's wrong with that? Or is he supposed to deride them just because he's Scottish?!

I'll try again. His opinions are cliched, usually along the lines of the "defenders were not doing their job" and offers no insight beyond what you can see with your own eyes. He criticises managers for their tactics with the benefit of hindsight when he has never so much as picked a team. He's never "wanted to be invloved in management"; no surprise. He couldn't hack it. Better sit on your arse and play the smart guy. My point about the safety of the studio is that he never has to put anything into practice; talks the talk, never has to walk the walk. A big phoney, even tries to convince us he buys his messages at Morrisons!! :whistling: His English bias extends to calling them "we".

The Old Tolbooth

As much as I don't really like Hansen as a pundit or a person, I think he has every right to have a beef about Scotland because he was left out of the Scotland team in the end in favour of Willie feckin Miller!!

Now a lot of people might say that Miller was playing in the best Aberdeen side ever, and they won the Cup Winners Cup etc, but Hansen was the main man at the back for the best team in Europe at the time and should have been first choice in the heart of Scotland's defence. Jock Stein preferred to pick Scottish based players wherever possible for some stupid reason and only picked English based players if he had to.

There were stupid comparisons made between Aberdeen and Liverpool at the time with some completely deluded arseholes claiming that Aberdeen could beat Liverpool, and lo and behold they were drawn together in the European Cup and Liverpool absolutely wiped the floor with them 5-0 on aggregate, but Miller still kept his place. (This was also the game that sparked Fergusons complete hatred for Liverpool)

Maybe big Jock didn't know after all :rolleyes:

Denny Crane

In the era Hansen played in, Scotland were spoiled for choice with regard to centre-halves. The man himself, Willie Miller, Alex McLeish, David Narey, Alan Evans, Kenny Burns plus Steve Nicol could adapt to that role from right-back (as well as right midfield). As Miller and McLeish worked well as a pair at club level, one can understand Stein's way of thinking by using them in the two centre-half slots. A continental manager may well have had that pair with Hansen as a sweeper.

Fergie cited him as a pick and chooser when it came to Scotland. This being the same manager who would encourage Ryan Giggs to do the same to Wales. Also the same manager who doesn't go into much detail as to where his dislike of Hansen really stemmed from. Another poster has mentioned the Liverpool v Aberdeen European Cup tie. Demento tried his usual mindgame tripe insinuating that Liverpool's Scots wouldn't have the heart to compete against 'their own' (ie. Hansen, Dalglish and Souness would chuck the tie to ensure a Scottish club would win). Hansen himself admitted the three of them were so wound up that Ronnie Moran had to calm all three down for both legs. When Aberdeen were crushed at Anfield, they let Fergie know in no uncertain terms where he could stick his opinions. Five years later, Hansen is not taken to the World Cup by Fergie, Dalglish cites an injury and withdraws but given his display during the Cup final days earlier eyebrows are raised. Souness does go but is mysteriously dropped for the Uruguay game - a match tailor made for him if ever there was one. It certainly didn't suit Roy Aitken!

Besides, with regard to Wembley, even John Greig stated the biannual fixture their was the one the Scotland team looked forward to the most - doing your rivals on their turf has that little bit extra magic to it (as I'm sure most of us coming home after a win at Easter Road can relate to).

in my very own opinion id rather have highlights and no pundits!some are bitter alla hanson/craig burley! and some r jus daft step up mr gray/young/...................

In the era Hansen played in, Scotland were spoiled for choice with regard to centre-halves. The man himself, Willie Miller, Alex McLeish, David Narey, Alan Evans, Kenny Burns plus Steve Nicol could adapt to that role from right-back (as well as right midfield). As Miller and McLeish worked well as a pair at club level, one can understand Stein's way of thinking by using them in the two centre-half slots. A continental manager may well have had that pair with Hansen as a sweeper.

Fergie cited him as a pick and chooser when it came to Scotland. This being the same manager who would encourage Ryan Giggs to do the same to Wales. Also the same manager who doesn't go into much detail as to where his dislike of Hansen really stemmed from. Another poster has mentioned the Liverpool v Aberdeen European Cup tie. Demento tried his usual mindgame tripe insinuating that Liverpool's Scots wouldn't have the heart to compete against 'their own' (ie. Hansen, Dalglish and Souness would chuck the tie to ensure a Scottish club would win). Hansen himself admitted the three of them were so wound up that Ronnie Moran had to calm all three down for both legs. When Aberdeen were crushed at Anfield, they let Fergie know in no uncertain terms where he could stick his opinions. Five years later, Hansen is not taken to the World Cup by Fergie, Dalglish cites an injury and withdraws but given his display during the Cup final days earlier eyebrows are raised. Souness does go but is mysteriously dropped for the Uruguay game - a match tailor made for him if ever there was one. It certainly didn't suit Roy Aitken!

Besides, with regard to Wembley, even John Greig stated the biannual fixture their was the one the Scotland team looked forward to the most - doing your rivals on their turf has that little bit extra magic to it (as I'm sure most of us coming home after a win at Easter Road can relate to).

Excellent post.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Well, I thought he was going to deck Slaven Bilic for accusing him of being English, the week before on Match of The Day 2. I've yet to hear any of his alleged pro-English bias, I remember seeing a clip when England scored a winner (forget who against) and Ian Wright, Lineker, etc were jumping about celebrating, Hansen sat there, arms folded, face like thunder.

Archived