Matt Slater's blog on Portsmouth

Martin_T

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/02/portsmouth_fc_in_crisis_qa.html

Excellent blog by Matt Slater on the situation at Portsmouth and what happens to clubs that enter administration. Save for a complete nutter buying the club in it's existing state, Pompey will enter administration on Friday and given the state of their clubs finances, this could be a pre-cursor to liquidation.

The FA has been an extremely negligent regulator of the game down south, allowing it's clubs to spend to wild excess on an orgy of credit. That the whole sorry mess is about to come crashing down will effect football globally. There needs to be strict financial criteria brought in to bring clubs into some sort of reality, and I'm fully aware that HMFC by the size of our debt relative to turnover, are currently one of the worst offenders.

Another thing stuck out for me though, the EPL's statutory points deduction for clubs entering administration is 9 points, this is less than the 10 points used in the football league due to their being 20 clubs as opposed to 24. So why the hell does the SPL have a 10 point penalty? Is this yet another example of administrative incompetence up here? If the penalty was relative to number of clubs up here it would be 6 points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/02/portsmouth_fc_in_crisis_qa.html

Excellent blog by Matt Slater on the situation at Portsmouth and what happens to clubs that enter administration. Save for a complete nutter buying the club in it's existing state, Pompey will enter administration on Friday and given the state of their clubs finances, this could be a pre-cursor to liquidation.

The FA has been an extremely negligent regulator of the game down south, allowing it's clubs to spend to wild excess on an orgy of credit. That the whole sorry mess is about to come crashing down will effect football globally. There needs to be strict financial criteria brought in to bring clubs into some sort of reality, and I'm fully aware that HMFC by the size of our debt relative to turnover, are currently one of the worst offenders.

Another thing stuck out for me though, the EPL's statutory points deduction for clubs entering administration is 9 points, this is less than the 10 points used in the football league due to their being 20 clubs as opposed to 24. So why the hell does the SPL have a 10 point penalty? Is this yet another example of administrative incompetence up here? If the penalty was relative to number of clubs up here it would be 6 points.

It's not relative to the number of clubs, Martin; it's relative to the number of matches played. Football League clubs play 46 games in a season; Premier League clubs, 38. Meaning the penalty in Scotland should be nine points, rather than ten - but I think it's pretty evident that the Scottish authorities just copied what their English counterparts were doing, without looking at the fine print.

Excellent article that sets a few things straight about administration for football clubs.

It's a better situation that a straight liquidation but it is still on a slippery slope towards it. Unless they find a new owner soon they will still be in the hands of HMRC. If they dismiss any CVA then it could be the end of the road.

Archived