Under 19 Or Reserve League

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

With their being no reserve league this season would it not have been best for the majori9ty of players in Scotland to play in a reserve league than only the 19s being given the chance to keep match fit over the season , thus leaving the older fringe players of squads without any match time under their belts when called upon mid season .

There seems no proper logic as the Under 19s would only benefit from playing in a match being coached and guided with older experienced players to play alongside than just players their own age , half never end up making the step up to the senior team anyway .

Surely a reserve league would benefit the whole age group of players in the SPL rather than just the teenagers at clubs and would keep all squad players match fit and players comming back from injury a chance to build up to full fitness .

Who is responsible for making this decision and do the clubs get a say on this matter ?

Will the reserve league be reinstated next season ?

Is the under19 league any better or worse this season ?

Are the clubs better of financialy because of this set up ?

To me at present the Under 19s lose the opportunity to become better players by not playing alongside and against more experienced and better players . Also the older plaers over 19s lose because they are left in limbo with no game for weeks untill a team-mate gets injured or suspended and when he comes into the team is no0t match fit , often resulting him in picking up an injury himself .

Come on the SPL bosses get your act together and bring back the reserve league even if its at the cost of an under 19 league . Surely the teenagers can still play in the juvenile local league anyway .

The Treasurer

The OF didn't want a reserve league, their lapdogs in the SPL voted with their masters therefore those that "run" the game scrapped the reserve league

They should have a reserve league. If an under-19 is any good he'd already been pushing for a place in the first team squad and would almost certainly make the reserves. Typical nonsense from the SPL though.

Hannibal Lecter

I think a reserve league would certainly bring many benefits. For example it would give the younger players some more experience against people other than from just their own age group. It would also help with players who have had a long lay off by helping build up their match fitness. Fringe players would maybe get a regular game instead of sitting in the stand from week to week, and would keep their match fitness up.

Why was it the SPL dropped the reserves again? Was it not down to a cost cutting measure or something?

i feel a U23 league which you could play 3 over age players in it would be better, as it would help the players who are too old for the U19s but are not ready for first team football. It would be IMO a good bridge between youth sides and the first team, but with the added bonus of being able to play a couple of older players who need either fitness or sharpness/confidence after a layoff

jumpers for posts

they should introduce a reserve summer league i would go along, could make a bit o cash and a chance to put the new kit on in the sun. happy days.

The lack of a reserve league stops previously injured players regain match fitness. Doing away with the U19 league stops youths from progressing. So why not have an U19 league but allow say 3 or 4 over-age players maximum to be selected if so desired. That way squads could still be reduced to save money and we have a better product overall.

Footballfirst

I would scrap the U19 league and make the pinnacle of youth football for the academy kids at U18. We should then have a senior league at U21 level, with the ability to play a max of two overage players to accommodate those returning to fitness after injury. The U21s should continue to be seen as a development opportunity with a dedicated coach whose primary function would be to get that group of players physically and tactically ready for 1st team football.

I know that senior players in the current U19s are desperate to play against adults rather than kids. The failure to enable this to happen will adversely affect their development. i.e. the current setup doesn't help the likes of Balatoni, Deland, Woods and Danny Thomson as they will be thrown in at the deep end come the start of next season.

I don't really mind because this season Hearts have practically combined the two and called it their first team.

Although have to be honest I think both would be good. Gives players game time if anything.

jamboinglasgow

I don't really mind because this season Hearts have practically combined the two and called it their first team.

Although have to be honest I think both would be good. Gives players game time if anything.

I think while we have played many youngsters, it would of been good to have reserve football so that they at least are match ready rather than playing no semi-competitve football then chucked into the deep end.

I do think it is a disgrace the scrapping of the reserve league. Hearts never wanted it scrapped and have been left feeling the consequences thanks to the old firm deciding they prefer bounce matches and small clubs wanting to save money. Its silly that the SPL has no reserve league but the lower leagues do.

I would be in favour of making the u19 league, an U18 league. And making the reserve league an u21 league with the option to name 3 over-age players. That way there is a solid progression for players. The framework needs to be there and long term it is needed. Also would like to see the league expanded but that is a different matter. Or if I got my choice, allow SPL teams to put a B side in the lower divisions (ideally under a pyramid system.)

p.s. Ruaridah, where did you get your Michael Stewart signature. Would love to get that kind of thing for another player. Also just realised that FF posted the same thing as me really. I honestly didn't copy him, but great minds think alike.

Captain America

Reserve League has to be brought back, with squad sizes getting smaller in SPL, under 19 players would be able to get into the reserve team no problem, and be good for players coming back from injury, getting some match fitness back before playing in 1st team.

Some players in our squad would benefit alot from it, Jamie Mole and David Witteven spring to mind.

Archived