Why do all birds...

scott_jambo

Not sure that they do, but there is a market for beauty therapy and I'd guess if a girl is getting a bikini wax they'd rather it was from a "sister" rather than some hairy ersed bloke.

BTW, my wee sister used to be a beauty therapist (and I guess she still has her training, although she no longer works as one).

The Old Tolbooth
...want to be beuaty therapists.

Monkeys, the lot o' them.

I'm sure you gave someone a hard time for stereotyping only this afternoon, oh the irony :wacko:

Some of the lassies have a good heed on their shoulders but they still choose it. Is it because they are sheep?? Surely the market is now flooded with it.

Steph from neighbours was a mechanic. There is a real woman for you. Although she is quite needy, just ask Toady.

I'm sure you gave someone a hard time for stereotyping only this afternoon, oh the irony :wacko:

I can confirm I am stereotyping and on the wind up.

JB was being serious.

If my thread said "we should exterminate scrounging disabled beauty therapists" then it would be ok.

Your not usually one to hold grudges from other threads JM.

Not sure that they do, but there is a market for beauty therapy and I'd guess if a girl is getting a bikini wax they'd rather it was from a "sister" rather than some hairy ersed bloke.

BTW, my wee sister used to be a beauty therapist (and I guess she still has her training, although she no longer works as one).

If I was giving a girl a bikini wax I wouldnt be getting my hairy erse out...actually, yeah...yeah I probably would, if they were hot. :ninja:

The Old Tolbooth
I can confirm I am stereotyping and on the wind up.

JB was being serious.

If my thread said "we should exterminate scrounging disabled beauty therapists" then it would be ok.

Your not usually one to hold grudges from other threads JM.

Lol, that ain't a grudge Scott, just an observation ;)

Lol, that ain't a grudge Scott, just an observation ;)

Haha, good stuff.

Tongue is firmly in my cheek on this thread though. :teeth:

Konrad von Carstein

My 15 year old has decided that this is the career for her :rubeyes: Me and the ex are less than ecstatic it has to be said.

Having tried to convince her that there are better options out there, but failing miserably, the only provisio we have made is she has to stay on at school and then go to college with the hope that she will change her mind in the intervening years.

Teenagers:wacko: I was never like that :527: done what i was told i did :ninja:

My 15 year old has decided that this is the career for her :rubeyes: Me and the ex are less than ecstatic it has to be said.

Having tried to convince her that there are better options out there, but failing miserably, the only provisio we have made is she has to stay on at school and then go to college with the hope that she will change her mind in the intervening years.

Teenagers:wacko: I was never like that :527: done what i was told i did :ninja:

If she wants to do that as a career then she would surely have to go to college to learn the trade?

It's not particularly well paid initially, but if she sticks in she could end up working in some nice places with nice perks.

My wee sis used to work at the Sheraton, which allowed her use of Sheraton Hotels at discounted rates for accommodation and food/drink. This benefit was also passed on to family members so, for example, I was able to stay in the Sheraton in Kensington for ?45 per night and all food/drink was half price.

In the end she ended up working in Bermuda at a salon as part of a resort over there.

Beauty therapists can also earn a few quid doing homers. Women will always want a wax and their nails done.

Save up, find the right location and eventually she could open her own salon.

this_is_my_story
Some of the lassies have a good heed on their shoulders but they still choose it. Is it because they are sheep?? Surely the market is now flooded with it.

Steph from neighbours was a mechanic. There is a real woman for you. Although she is quite needy, just ask Toady.

:laugh:

I think it's great that these girls are learning a skill and getting paid to do something that they will probably enjoy doing.

There's a whole lot of folk who are too lazy to bother working in our society. I'd have a go at them first.

Konrad von Carstein
If she wants to do that as a career then she would surely have to go to college to learn the trade?

It's not particularly well paid initially, but if she sticks in she could end up working in some nice places with nice perks.

My wee sis used to work at the Sheraton, which allowed her use of Sheraton Hotels at discounted rates for accommodation and food/drink. This benefit was also passed on to family members so, for example, I was able to stay in the Sheraton in Kensington for ?45 per night and all food/drink was half price.

In the end she ended up working in Bermuda at a salon as part of a resort over there.

Beauty therapists can also earn a few quid doing homers. Women will always want a wax and their nails done.

Save up, find the right location and eventually she could open her own salon.

All of what you say is true, and yep we realise she'd need to do an HNC(?) or other qualification, but as the OP suggested all girls of a certain age seem to have chosen this as the favoured career and it just seems (to me) that it's a fad.

I'm not dissing the job and understand that with a bit of luck etc you can make a very decent living at it but look at how many of these shops there are now. Competition will be tough.

All of what you say is true, and yep we realise she'd need to do an HNC(?) or other qualification, but as the OP suggested all girls of a certain age seem to have chosen this as the favoured career and it just seems (to me) that it's a fad.

I'm not dissing the job and understand that with a bit of luck etc you can make a very decent living at it but look at how many of these shops there are now. Competition will be tough.

I see where you are coming from Konrad, and quite rightly you are looking out for your daughters best interests. I suppose a few years ago the same could be said of hairdressing i.e. career of choice for girls. How academically inclined is your daughter? Perhaps getting her to stick in at her highers, perhaps go to Uni, and then after that she can always go and do the beauty therapy gig if she wants?

Konrad von Carstein
I see where you are coming from Konrad, and quite rightly you are looking out for your daughters best interests. I suppose a few years ago the same could be said of hairdressing i.e. career of choice for girls. How academically inclined is your daughter? Perhaps getting her to stick in at her highers, perhaps go to Uni, and then after that she can always go and do the beauty therapy gig if she wants?

Boris she is a typical 15 year old thinks she knows it all while at the same time playing down her intelligence cos she doesn't want to be labled a geek, this not surprisingly frustrates the hell out of us as her teachers almost to a man & woman say she has the ability to do even better in all of her subjects but I think peer pressure and influence is playing a part in much of what she says and does.

She does enough to get by but won't push herself to get that extra mark or two (much like her Dad to be fair who ended up doing 4 years at night school to get some qualifications)

We have told her that she will be staying on and perhaps the environment will change for her and her mind will be opened up a wee bit when she is removed from the "flock" so to speak.

Ideally we would love her to go to Uni, but as I say she plays the "I'm not clever enough to go there" card, that's why we have emphasised that as a minimum she'll need to go to college for further study (whether in Beauty Therapy or not) and to be fair to her she seems to have accepted this.

Boris she is a typical 15 year old thinks she knows it all while at the same time playing down her intelligence cos she doesn't want to be labled a geek, this not surprisingly frustrates the hell out of us as her teachers almost to a man & woman say she has the ability to do even better in all of her subjects but I think peer pressure and influence is playing a part in much of what she says and does.

She does enough to get by but won't push herself to get that extra mark or two (much like her Dad to be fair who ended up doing 4 years at night school to get some qualifications)

We have told her that she will be staying on and perhaps the environment will change for her and her mind will be opened up a wee bit when she is removed from the "flock" so to speak.

Ideally we would love her to go to Uni, but as I say she plays the "I'm not clever enough to go there" card, that's why we have emphasised that as a minimum she'll need to go to college for further study (whether in Beauty Therapy or not) and to be fair to her she seems to have accepted this.

She sounds clever enough. Her school will hopefully have links with local Uni's (the Uni I work at does) and the students attend open days to get a feel of the place. It is daunting, but at the same time Uni can be sold as more than simply academic development. You meet new people from all over the city, country, world. You get a flexibility of study so you do what you want to do and I guess you get some good life experience. The social life is pretty good too, but that's another worry for a father! :wink:

You never know, she is only 15 but may well "grow up" over the next year or so and surprise you.

Good luck anyway. :thumb:

Archived