100+ Prisoners riot-excuse-no methadone

jambojackbilly

jambojackbilly

In the new prison at Addiewell

Most if not all of these maggots in prison are serial offenders who are being allegedly punished for repeat offending and this is how they react when they cant get their hands on drugs, I'd birch the bassas, feed them gruel daily, chain gang them for a few months/yrs minimum,maybe then the methadone they riot for wont be so important

Prison should be a deterrent not a soft option for society's filth :dribble:

jambojackbilly
Just saw the report on the BBC and they said there were 10 inmates involved:wacko:

Well no according to the wapping great Sun or the EEN

Even if it was only 10 Mr Pedant I'd still want a pound of flesh

Say What Again
Well no according to the wapping great Sun or the EEN

Even if it was only 10 Mr Pedant I'd still want a pound of flesh

I was merely pointing out I'd just seen the report and they claimed 10 inmates. I didn't say it made it any less excusable.

Pointing out there were 10 instead of 100+ is hardly pedantic. You (or the Sun) have claimed over ten times the amount. It would have been pedantic if I'd said there were 99.

jambojackbilly
I was merely pointing out I'd just seen the report and they claimed 10 inmates. I didn't say it made it any less excusable.

Pointing out there were 10 instead of 100+ is hardly pedantic. 100+ is the equivalent of you saying Hibs haven't won the Scottish Cup in the last 5 years.

The Sun and the EEN say a 100, your reliable source says 10

2-1 to me :biggrin: and until you can equalise, i will take it I'm correct

Say What Again

I can't equalise, you win 2-1 :heartscup:

Though I'm going to sue the BBC for the points as they've lied to me about the number :biggrin:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8480072.stm

A second prison officers was injured in a disturbance at Scotland's newest prison, it has emerged.

Emergency services were called to Addiewell Prison in West Lothian after up to 10 prisoners rioted on Monday.

Pointing out there were 10 instead of 100+ is hardly pedantic. You (or the Sun) have claimed over ten times the amount. It would have been pedantic if I'd said there were 99.

TBH, the amount doesn't really matter, 10 or 100 the people running that prison don't have a freakin Clue, we'll they do, it's the prisoners. There's was trouble not long after it opened because they shut the "Tuck Shop" early as they were under staffed...The prisoners were rioting because they couldn't get their Mars Bars!! I know someone who, Unfortunately for them, Works in the place...Addiewell Hilton, it's apptly named! The Guards are sh****** themselves every day. There is always someone not turning up to work...The Cons run the freakin place. It isn't the first riot, it won't be the last. Someone will be taken out in a Body bag soon!

The Sun and the EEN say a 100, your reliable source says 10

2-1 to me :biggrin: and until you can equalise, i will take it I'm correct

Think I'd be more inclined to believe the BBC.

We get the kind of prisons we want to pay for.

What kind of society condones private prisons? People making money out of justice? Does nobody see the risk in that?

Justice, crime and punishment is the responsibility of all society, you can't wash your hands of it and passing the responsibility over to the lowest bidder who can make a buck out of it is morally reprehensible.

jambojackbilly

What kind of society condones private prisons? People making money out of justice? Does nobody see the risk in that?

Justice, crime and punishment is the responsibility of all society, you can't wash your hands of it and passing the responsibility over to the lowest bidder who can make a buck out of it is morally reprehensible.

Correct Doctor, i agree wholeheartedly

but we should still give the low life a hard time Re, deter rather than encourage i say

northfieldhearts

If they choose to smash things up then they shouldnt be replaced. Thats a farcical situation. And if they set fires etc then let them live in their cell with burnt bedsheets & mattresses.

Do all lawyers work Pro Bono now?

John

This is what you get when a government decides to run the penal system based on profit. Insufficient staff at Addiewell (and what they do have is of a very poor quality) and a regime whose whole ethos is based on appeasing the **** they are looking after.

Time the Scottish Government stopped contemplating the fluff in their collective navels and got on with treating law and order seriously. Their recent efforts have been little short of cringe-worthy.

If they choose to smash things up then they shouldnt be replaced. Thats a farcical situation. And if they set fires etc then let them live in their cell with burnt bedsheets & mattresses.

well said:biggrin: and id also put poison in their drugs that way it would shut them up

I heard this on Radio Scotland this morning and some expert was on saying they faced similar problems in Kilmarnock for the first couple of years. Staffing (or lack of it) was an issue there too as the private company running it thought flat screen TVs en suite rooms etc..we're doing well here they'll behave and we dont need so many staff.

Possibly....if it was a hotel they were running, but lets face it it's not. The above makes you sometimes wonder though as this fella said the inmates are desperate never to leave these new prisons..not exactly going to help the problem of habitual re-offending if what he said was true.

This is what you get when a government decides to run the penal system based on profit. Insufficient staff at Addiewell (and what they do have is of a very poor quality) and a regime whose whole ethos is based on appeasing the **** they are looking after.

Time the Scottish Government stopped contemplating the fluff in their collective navels and got on with treating law and order seriously. Their recent efforts have been little short of cringe-worthy.

I'd be surprised if all the staff were poor quality, in fact I know someone who works there, used to work with them and I'd say that person is of very high quality.

loveofthegame

This is what happens when we get soft on prisoners- they start kicking off when they don't get everything they want.

Prison is meant to be a ****ing punishment, but this PC, straight-up, human rights filled world we now live in means its pretty easy for most nowadays, with lots of comforts and better access to drugs than they can get out here.

This is what happens when we get soft on prisoners- they start kicking off when they don't get everything they want.

Prison is meant to be a ****ing punishment, but this PC, straight-up, human rights filled world we now live in means its pretty easy for most nowadays, with lots of comforts and better access to drugs than they can get out here.

Prison is not supposed to be a punishment, the punishment is loss of liberty.

Not convinced that prison has lots of comforts, locked up in a small room all night, can't get out.

Can't see how it's pretty easy.

I'm not saying I agree with what happened but I think there is a perspective issue. There are many people in prison (IMO) where it would be better for them, the public purse and society if they were given community service, and tagged. Prison should be a last resort.

well said:biggrin: and id also put poison intheir drugs that way it would shut them up

whoever`s putting the anthrax in the heroin just now should be supplying them.

What a confusing thread. The punishment should fit the crime. Agreed. But once in prison the only crime distinguisher is the length of tarrif, the conditions are the same. So we need separate conditions for different crimes? "Possibly....if it was a hotel they were running, but lets face it it's not. The above makes you sometimes wonder though as this fella said the inmates are desperate never to leave these new prisons..not exactly going to help the problem of habitual re-offending if what he said was true." If prisoners don't want to leave the prison surely there will be no reoffending? We must therefore make prisons 5* so no one will want to leave at the end of their sentence. Hooray, no reoffending, no criminals at large. Err, who pays for all this? Rehabilitation is cheaper, and petty privation that disrupts the rehabilitation is a false economy. Rehabilitation lowers crime, lowers prison costs, court costs and therefore our taxes can be spent on the law abiding. Why would you not be in favour of lower crime and better services for non criminals?

What a confusing thread. The punishment should fit the crime. Agreed. But once in prison the only crime distinguisher is the length of tarrif, the conditions are the same. So we need separate conditions for different crimes? "Possibly....if it was a hotel they were running, but lets face it it's not. The above makes you sometimes wonder though as this fella said the inmates are desperate never to leave these new prisons..not exactly going to help the problem of habitual re-offending if what he said was true." If prisoners don't want to leave the prison surely there will be no reoffending? We must therefore make prisons 5* so no one will want to leave at the end of their sentence. Hooray, no reoffending, no criminals at large. Err, who pays for all this? Rehabilitation is cheaper, and petty privation that disrupts the rehabilitation is a false economy. Rehabilitation lowers crime, lowers prison costs, court costs and therefore our taxes can be spent on the law abiding. Why would you not be in favour of lower crime and better services for non criminals?

Fair points but I don't think conditions are the same for all. I have the impression that there are different regimes, progression and even open prison.

Separate conditions for would cost a fortune and probably not fit in with the Governments ambitions of Community Facing prisons Community facing prisons

There is no easy answer.

You're right, it was a clunky attempt to make a point. Of course an open prison isn't the same as solitary in high security. But the point I'm trying to make is if you treat all prisoners the same during their time, it will have an expensively negative effect on future levels of recidivism and therefore overall crime rates and prison population levels. Most screws I know want the guys distracted with telly, pc games etc. as it means there are fewer problems, fewer extended convictions, and therefore fewer prisoners with nothing to lose. If methadone made that prison safer, why withdraw it?

Apparently the damage cause is pretty bad, our fire manager went up yesterday and come back with a massive grin on his face as the bill to get all the damaged fire system is going to be into the ???????'s

Without sounding stupid what is the difference between a private prison and an HMP prison??

Is it like a private school that you pay to go to? :wacko:

I have a mate who is a prison officer up at Addiewell (good Jambo too). Says the staffing levels up there are nowhere near but is required to keep the place safe. He wasn't hurt in the rammy which is good news.

They should just lock it down and let the feckers go cold turkey.... they would claim breach oh human rights but I'm pretty sure cold turkey would be a benefit to them.

They should just lock it down and let the feckers go cold turkey.... they would claim breach oh human rights but I'm pretty sure cold turkey would be a benefit to them.

When you say they do you mean we? What do you mean by it? Not an expert but I'm pretty sure cold turkey has never been the medical profession's preferred option for dealing with addiction. I assume you do want to help these people to lead normal lives when they are released from prison.

I'd be surprised if all the staff were poor quality, in fact I know someone who works there, used to work with them and I'd say that person is of very high quality.

And for every one like your mate there could be one like the boy Pender who was snared by the paper last week smoking heroin and has been suspended!

jambojackbilly

Most people who land up in prison ( not all ) only have one concern in life and it evolves round No.1

They would have had numerous chances prior to prove their worth, yet for many of thees prisoners their whole existence works around drugs, inside and out,selfish self centered sc vm who don't care what they do to get their fill

I'd make them work for any privilege's and if not, then it's the basics from day one until the end of their sentence

Spend the money on those who want to change

I agree with some posters take though, privatisation and profit in not the answer when running a prison as Addiewell shows on a regular basis

They had to dismiss a about twenty of them shortly after the jail was opened because they had criminal records. My information is that they are neither trained as well as prison officers from the Scottish Prison Service and that their management leaves a lot to be desired.

The latest fiasco won't be the last. I'm all for private enterprise but draw the line at private companies profiting from crime!

When you say they do you mean we? What do you mean by it? Not an expert but I'm pretty sure cold turkey has never been the medical profession's preferred option for dealing with addiction. I assume you do want to help these people to lead normal lives when they are released from prison.

Methadone is not the answer. It is screwing people up. They will never get off it.

In the new prison at Addiewell

Most if not all of these maggots in prison are serial offenders who are being allegedly punished for repeat offending and this is how they react when they cant get their hands on drugs, I'd birch the bassas, feed them gruel daily, chain gang them for a few months/yrs minimum,maybe then the methadone they riot for wont be so important

Prison should be a deterrent not a soft option for society's filth :dribble:

Bleeding heart liberal

Patrick Bateman

For those thinking harsh treatment will help to prevent future crime (which is surely the most important thing?) watch this -

(You might want to skip to 3 minutes 30 if you want to see the point I'm trying to make.

Treat people like animals, and they will continue to act like animals. Prisons should be about trying to reform and improve people wherever possible. Of course there are some people who aren't fit to live in normal society, but I suspect these people are in far lesser numbers than people suspect. Scotland should look to Scandinavia for how our society should be, rather than clinging to the archaic attitudes of America and the wider UK.

Emmm..... the fact that methadone is more addictive than herion would my reason for them not being prescribed it.

I'm pro Herion / opium scrips but very anti methadone....

The meth program is a massive fail imo.

Most people who land up in prison ( not all ) only have one concern in life and it evolves round No.1

Or maybe easily lead?

Archived