1 Bob?

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Since when did 1 bob become ?1? According to the Macdonalds advert it is!!!!

When i was at school 2 bob was 10p so surely 1 bob is 5p?

Their spokesperson has posted: "Although a 'bob' was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971' date=' research has shown [b']it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound[/b] or money in general.

"As with many words in the English language, the technical meaning of words can change over time and although the word remains in use, what it signifies may develop into something else."

Aye, right.

The Mighty Thor

As if anyone that regularly dines at McDonalds has the cognitive ability to differentiate between a bob and a pound anyway.

I P Knightley

If, when doing "bob-a-job" in the scouts, I'd demanded a pound off anyone in our area, I've have got a pound-ing (chortle, chortle... but true)

a 'bob' is five pee.

end off

My mother always called a 50 pence piece 10 bob, so 5p it is :2thumbsup:

Correct - So what's a "wee bawbee"? the thing you need to assist in the procurement of some coulter's candy.

Edit: Just found out from Wikipedia that it's a Scottish halfpenny, so do 10 of them make a bob?

Edit: Just found out from Wikipedia that it's a Scottish halfpenny, so do 10 of them make a bob?

Naw - 24 of 'em

"I suspect the nearest it got to the UK before transmission was when it was dreamed up in an English themed pub in Hollywood."

Absolute tripe - what a bunch of eejits. Never heard anyone call a pound a bob. And I remember ten bob notes.

I was going along with the thinking that a 10 bob piece is a 50p piece. :wacko:

240 pennies in a pound. And 20 shillings in a pound, so 24 half pennies in a shilling. And 60 in a half crown. And of course there are florins, sixpences, threepenny bits as well.

Thank christ we adopted the decimal system.

McDonald's response is for the second time to try and change the English language.

They got told where to go when they tried to have the meaning of McJob changed to reflect their recruitment campaigns. Hopefully advertising standards will roger them this time.

My mother always called a 50 pence piece 10 bob, so 5p it is :2thumbsup:

So did my mum. Maybe a Borders thing. A bob is 5p. No if's or but's.

Archived