Wayne Rooney

Jamboy81

Is there a better striker in world football right now? Not just for his goals today, i think his all round game has been exceptional this season. Played out of position for the past few season's but he's right in amongst the goals now. The complete striker imo, with the workrate and commitment to match too.

When I see Wayne Rooney, I am reminded of the words of Buck, from Ice Age 3 when he said:

"I woke up one morning married to a pineapple. She was ugly pineapple: (sigh) but I loved her"

Wayne Rooney is a ugly pineapple: but he's a great player.

Is there a better striker in world football right now? Not just for his goals today, i think his all round game has been exceptional this season. Played out of position for the past few season's but he's right in amongst the goals now. The complete striker imo, with the workrate and commitment to match too.

I had a great midweek in the Barclays fantasy league.

I was 21 points ahead of my opponent and he only had Rooney left to play.

I am not even going to look at the result.

:ahhhhhhh:

He is a great all round footballer.

jamboinglasgow

I still maintain that David Villa is the world's best striker. Some would argue Drogba, some might say Ibrahamiovic and some might say Eto'o, some might say Torres. I think Rooney is in the top 5 of the worlds greatest strikers.

I still maintain that David Villa is the world's best striker. Some would argue Drogba, some might say Ibrahamiovic and some might say Eto'o, some might say Torres. I think Rooney is in the top 5 of the worlds greatest strikers.

I hate Man Utd but i think none of the above mentioned are anywhere near Wayne Rooney

Poor man's Scott Robinson IMO :biggrin:

What, better than Clayton Donaldson??? :dribble:

Seriously though, I think Drogba is better but Rooney has many more years ahead of him and to score goals int he EPL a season is fairly good these days but in one game is brilliant.

If he gets injured for any substantial period Utd can forget winning silverware this season and likewise England's chances at the WC will massively decrease should he be out once into the knock out stages.

He's certainly stepped up to the plate to fill the gap left by Ronaldo and still only 24

Rate him higher than Torres and Ibrahimovic out of the list above and on equal par with the others IMO

Finally! Someone who thinks the same as me :D His stats are consistently great and I think he's a bit underrated. If he was in the Premiership, I think he'd be considered the best forward in the game just now.

this_is_my_story
I hate Man Utd but i think none of the above mentioned are anywhere near Wayne Rooney

I appreciate that it's all about opinions, and of course you're entitled to yours - you obviously think Rooney is the best. But to state that the the likes of Eto'o, Villa & Torres are not 'anywhere near' him?

Come off it man!

jamboinglasgow
Finally! Someone who thinks the same as me :D His stats are consistently great and I think he's a bit underrated. If he was in the Premiership, I think he'd be considered the best forward in the game just now.

agreed, its the ignorance of this country (Britain) that doesn't really watch other leagues, yes there is a minority but its a case of out of sight, out of mind. Premiership is seen as the ultimate league and all others are less than it. Yes it has the most money and most watched but that doesn't make it the most exciting or best value.

As you the stats are so consistent where ever he goes, and even for spain.

I appreciate that it's all about opinions, and of course you're entitled to yours - you obviously think Rooney is the best. But to state that the the likes of Eto'o, Villa & Torres are not 'anywhere near' him?

Come off it man!

I have never been a big fan but he has really impressed me a lot recently.

He does look like a very skillful and intelligent footballer and he gets goals.

this_is_my_story
I have never been a big fan but he has really impressed me a lot recently.

He does look like a very skillful and intelligent footballer and he gets goals.

I have, to be honest. He's England's best player in my opinion. And as the OP pointed out, Rooney's work rate is nothing short of exemplary.

However, when it comes to inclusion in the top echelon of strikers in world football, I think he falls just short. Not by much though, I'd add.

I had a great midweek in the Barclays fantasy league.

I was 21 points ahead of my opponent and he only had Rooney left to play.

I am not even going to look at the result.

:ahhhhhhh:

He is a great all round footballer.

Same mate, Rooney and Febergas have done very well for my team this week :biggrin::biggrin:

Rooney is some player, been outstanding this season!

Iv never been a big fan of Rooney and im a arsenal fan aswel, so a bigger hate towards him, ha ha, but you got to give take your hat of to the lad, he has been fabulous for united this season.

I would go as far as saying Rooney is one of the best strikers in the game just now.

Imagine him and Messi in a team together, now that would be good to see as long as it was not at Man Utd.

Easily would be the best strike force in the world with out a doubt!

I saw on Sky Sports News today that Man City are rumoured to be offering Liverpool ?100 million for Torres.

If he'll be bought for that amount, how much would Rooney be bought for?

Is there a better striker in world football right now?

Yes. Didier Drogba.

Blue is the colour.....:biggrin:

jamboinglasgow
Yes. Didier Drogba.

second best striker in the world.

David Villa no.1, both strikers have scored 14 goals in the league, Villa has played 1 game less.

both strikers have scored 14 goals in the league, Villa has played 1 game less.

:dribble: :dribble: :dribble::rubeyes:

And?

Creepy Lurker

Agree that Villa's a better player.

I think that Rooney's starting to fulfil his potential, but don't think that he can really be said to be a part of the world's elite group until he's fully proven himself at European and international level. He looked like he might be edging dangerously close to becoming a typical 'try hard' player, but is really showing his class now.

Yes. Didier Drogba.

How you can compare a cheat with one of the best strikers in the world, of course you can, Zaliukas is the best central defender in the SPL, I rest my case.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

P.S. Drogba 'The Cheat' is certainly setting the African Nations Cup on fire ???

Creepy Lurker
How you can compare a cheat with one of the best strikers in the world...

What do you think of Cristiano Ronaldo as a player?

Villa's doing it in the best league in the world. :thumb:

By any objective measure, the EPL is clearly better than La Liga.

Villa is a fine player but, unlike Didier Drogba, he is not world class. I'd say the next best striker after Drogba is Fernando Torres. Hopefully Chelsea FC will make a bid given the on and off field shenanigans at Liverpool.

Villa is a fine player but, unlike Didier Drogba, he is not world class. I'd say the next best striker after Drogba is Fernando Torres. Hopefully Chelsea FC will make a bid given the on and off field shenanigans at Liverpool.

OMFG! Also, unless you think Chelsea are now better than in their pomp under Mourinho (which they're plainly not), then given Man Utd and Liverpool's decline, the EPL's going downhill. La Liga probably has the best two teams in Europe - and the EPL's record in the UEFA Cup/Europa League is generally appalling.

How many English sides have won the Champions League since the end of the Heysel ban? Three. That's pathetic - and not one of them did so in the grand manner, without enjoying a substantial slice of luck in the final. Yet in the same period, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Milan have all won the CL in glorious fashion.

As for who the best striker in the world is, I'd go with:

1. Villa

2. Drogba

3. Rooney*

4. Torres

5. Ibrahimovic

6. Eto'o

* falling to 4th below Torres when the latter is consistently fully fit.

I don't think you can clearly say that Rooney is better than Drogba, Torres, Villa, Ibrahimovic etc.

Can't we all just be friend and say they are all very different but exceptionally good strikers?! :biggrin:

Rooney and Torres are basically carrying their respective clubs at the moment. Villa is doing something similar, albeit IMO in a weaker league defensively but you simply cannot argue with his goal scoring record.

Drogba scored fewer goals than Anelka last season for Chelsea, so on that basis does Anelka have a claim to be considered one of the best? On his day though Drogba can be virtually unplayable, if he had the attitude and desire of Rooney and Torres to ride challenges rather than going down I think he would score far more.

jamboinglasgow

whats an objective measure? Best players in the world playing in that league? Well la Liga has worlds top 5 (Messi, C. Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa) (based on FourFourTwo's latest list which is compliled based on managers, experts and fans views.)

And to say that Villa is not world class is not your finest moment. Can you define what world class means then?

And to say that Villa is not world class is not your finest moment. Can you define what world class means then?

Like, playing for Chelsea. Duh :rofl:

whats an objective measure? Best players in the world playing in that league? Well la Liga has worlds top 5 (Messi, C. Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa) (based on FourFourTwo's latest list which is compliled based on managers, experts and fans views.)

It's clear you don't understand the meaning of the word "objective". 4-4-2s list is based on opinions and is therefore subjective. I trust this clarifies matters.

As for world class, it means a player who would get into the squad if Planet Earth FC was playing Mars FC. Drogba would be a shoo-in. Villa wouldn't.

jamboinglasgow
It's clear you don't understand the meaning of the word "objective". 4-4-2s list is based on opinions and is therefore subjective. I trust this clarifies matters.

well fair enough but you still haven't defined which objective measure you use to define the premier league as the best league.

As for world class, it means a player who would get into the squad if Planet Earth FC was playing Mars FC. Drogba would be a shoo-in. Villa wouldn't.

Someone should tell Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona and even Chelsea who have all been reported to be after him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/23/football-transfer-rumours-david-villa-chelsea

Dear oh dear oh dear. :laugh:

:troll:

well fair enough but you still haven't defined which objective measure you use to define the premier league as the best league.

Money, and global press and media coverage. On both of these key objective measures, the EPL is top.

jamboinglasgow
Money, and global press and media coverage. On both of these key objective measures, the EPL is top.

But these dont necessary mean that the players playing it are the best in the world.

this_is_my_story

To think that I thought of you as one of the better wind-up merchants on this board! ;)

But these dont necessary mean that the players playing it are the best in the world.

Er, I didn't say it did. You were the one who said La Liga was "the top league". :peepwall:

jamboinglasgow
Er, I didn't say it did. You were the one who said La Liga was "the top league". :peepwall:

ah fair enough, I meant in terms of quality of football and for the best players.

Miller Jambo 60

Ugly as feck no:biggrin:

La Liga is the top league. The EPL was two or three seasons ago, but hardly now. Economically (and you used money as a key factor in your 'objective measures'), it's a basket case; it has few of the very top players in the world; and its best sides are going backwards. I think the EPL will have only one team in the last eight of the CL; Spain will probably have three.

Economically (and you used money as a key factor in your 'objective measures'), it's a basket case;

:rubeyes:

Shaun, I suggest you check the financials associated with the respective tv deals. Also, as you know I travel extensively in Asia. One hardly sees a Spanish team's top adorning the local yoof - it's invariably English teams.

Shaun, I suggest you check the financials associated with the respective tv deals. Also, as you know I travel extensively in Asia. One hardly sees a Spanish team's top adorning the local yoof - it's invariably English teams.

The collective debt of the EPL is between ?2bn and ?3bn. That's terrifying. UEFA's new rules about clubs in debt and the mounting pressure on Sky to cut the amount they charge other companies like BT for games mean the party's over.

The collective debt of the EPL is between ?2bn and ?3bn.

Where did I mention debt?

Incidentally, Chelsea FC is debt free. :biggrin:

Where did I mention debt?

Incidentally, Chelsea FC is debt free. :biggrin:

If you think a collective debt that size is the sign of a strong, world leading league, then you are Gordon Brown and I claim my five pounds. :biggrin:

If you think a collective debt that size is the sign of a strong, world leading league, then you are Gordon Brown and I claim my five pounds. :biggrin:

Shaun, I'm not going to debate with you if you are simply going to throw in random thoughts rather than developing a theme.

jamboinglasgow
Shaun, I'm not going to debate with you if you are simply going to throw in random thoughts rather than developing a theme.

it is a theme, you said it is a financial powerhouse, he says that despite all the money EPL clubs are full of debts, you and Man City are lucky as you have owners who are prepared to throw silly amounts of money around. It could be that in a few seasons time those two clubs could be in a league with five other clubs who haven't gone into admin.

You mentioned money as one of your chief reasons for considering the EPL to be the best league in the world. But in too many cases, it's not money; it's credit, and debt. And the chickens are coming home to roost, weakening the EPL and leaving La Liga on top.

I didn't debate your spurious analysis of the players in the two leagues, because your views were too ridiculous to bother with. :teeth:

OMFG! Also, unless you think Chelsea are now better than in their pomp under Mourinho (which they're plainly not), then given Man Utd and Liverpool's decline, the EPL's going downhill. La Liga probably has the best two teams in Europe - and the EPL's record in the UEFA Cup/Europa League is generally appalling.

How many English sides have won the Champions League since the end of the Heysel ban? Three. That's pathetic - and not one of them did so in the grand manner, without enjoying a substantial slice of luck in the final. Yet in the same period, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Milan have all won the CL in glorious fashion.

As for who the best striker in the world is, I'd go with:

1. Villa

2. Drogba

3. Rooney*

4. Torres

5. Ibrahimovic

6. Eto'o

* falling to 4th below Torres when the latter is consistently fully fit.

I'd go with that.

Archived