The "recommend an obscure musician" thread

Patrick Bateman

Matthew(Matt) Findlay. Bass guitarist and keyboard player. Not yet eighteen but he is going to be a star.

John

I P Knightley

Anyone here ever listened to Foy Vance?

Sorry - I don't do MySpace & stuff but I got an album of his on a recommendation. Really good, mainly acoustic but with a little something unique about his voice & playing style.

Aberfeldy. Edinburgh band, recently had one of their songs taken by diet coke for an advert. Their first album (young forever) is their best, cracking live as well!

Very very very underrated.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

King Creosote

Gillian Welch

Nelly Terraces

Great shout. Seen them a few times when I lived in London. Been going a few years now. 'IPC Sub-Editors Dictate Our Youth' best song title in years. get their singles comp from 1999, that's the bizzo, eother that or 1st lp, 'internal wrangler'.

A couple of guys I saw last night :

Mike Park - The owner of Asian Man Records. Politically charged acoustic rock.

Sundowner - Some more acoustic stuff this time from Chris McCaughan, guitarist and vocalist for The Lawrence Arms.

And a few more too...

City and Colour - Better known as Dallas Green, who is in the Canadian band Alexisonfire. His solo stuff is about as far removed from Alexis as you can get, more acoustic with a bit of a country influence. He's playing a sold out show at the Oran Mor in April and I can't wait!

Frank Turner - Yet another acoustic musician, he used to be in the band Million Dead before they split up.

Dustin Kensrue - And again another acoustic guy who is usually in a heavier band, this time it's the vocalist from Thrice. His solo stuff really is brilliant though.

Chuck Ragan - Same again really, folky stuff from the Hot Water Music singer.

I think that'll do, I'll leave some for other people to recommend!

I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as "obscure", but anyway....

...I think I posted this before. She's been singing for years, but she's not that well known outside Ireland. Come to think of it, even in Ireland she's not that well known outside of traditional music circles.

A great cover of one of the great love songs.

YouTube - The Water Is Wide

i dont know much about this guy, but i think this is the best version of 'Hallelujah' i've ever heard :)

Archived