Unusual animals you have eaten

Moonheid

Ostrich, Springbok, Zebra, Kangaroo and Shark.

Khubla Khans restaurant in Edinburgh

Well worth a visit.

http://www.khublaikhan.co.uk/edinburgh_restaurant_khublai_khans.html

I was there for a birthday bash a couple of years ago and really enjoyed trying the different meats. Wasn't too sure about it at first but after a few bevvys no problem. I also had crocodile there too. Nice:biggrin:

Say What Again

Mines will be roughly the same, and for the same reason.

It was a works Xmas do about 6 years ago though and I was so drunk I can't recall exactly what i had. I'm sure at one point I was just getting everything lobbed into my bowl.

Mines will be roughly the same, and for the same reason.

It was a works Xmas do about 6 years ago though and I was so drunk I can't recall exactly what i had. I'm sure at one point I was just getting everything lobbed into my bowl.

your just like John with food!!:biggrin:

I had to sort my brother out when we were there, he was ready to chuck all the meat into the one bowl, but you gotta watch a some of the meat takes longer to cook than others.

Need to find an excuse for John to revisit there again soon

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

Was at khublai khans last night and it was amazing. Had kangaroo and wild boar, going back sunday with the other half to see if he'll enjoy it.

Puffin, whale blubber and Hakarl ... all in Iceland

from Wiki, this is how they make Hakarl and it doesn't taste as nice as it sounds :wacko:

H?karl is traditionally prepared by gutting and beheading a Greenland or basking shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly-sand, with the now-cleaned cavity resting on a slight hill. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are then placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. The fluids from the shark are in this way pressed out of the body. The shark ferments for 6-12 weeks depending on the season in this fashion.

Following this

curing period, the shark is then cut into strips and hung to dry for several months. During this drying period a brown crust will develop, which is removed prior to cutting the shark into small pieces and serving. The modern method is just to press the shark's meat in a large drained plastic container.

Puffin, whale blubber and Hakarl ... all in Iceland

from Wiki, this is how they make Hakarl and it doesn't taste as nice as it sounds :wacko:

H?karl is traditionally prepared by gutting and beheading a Greenland or basking shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly-sand, with the now-cleaned cavity resting on a slight hill. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are then placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. The fluids from the shark are in this way pressed out of the body. The shark ferments for 6-12 weeks depending on the season in this fashion.

Following this

curing period, the shark is then cut into strips and hung to dry for several months. During this drying period a brown crust will develop, which is removed prior to cutting the shark into small pieces and serving. The modern method is just to press the shark's meat in a large drained plastic container.

They p*ss on it before the bury it.

Johanes de Silentio
You are Alan Davies!

Oh, my God - I hope I don't have to fight off Stephen Fry after being gazed at lovingly for the show!

Mines is a zebra, no the whole thing mind!

Crocodile, alligator, scorpion, reindeer, ostrich, kangaroo, snake, fugu (pufferfish).

I also ate a fish stomach once in a dish called "Buddha jumps over the wall".

I had scorpion, maggots and cockroach one very, very messy night in Bangkok - none of them stayed down long.

Shark's fin soup in Hong Kong was pretty tasty. Crocodile is magic, but I'm not a huge fan of Kangaroo.

Rocky Mountain Oysters (look it up) were pretty tasteless, but pretty rank to think about.

I have been offered, but refused on ethical grounds, guinea pig on a few occasions in some of the Andean countries.

I had whale a couple of months back in London served as part of a cured meat platter.

Very tasty.

Ostrich, kangaroo and bulls' balls (France) - only thing I can remember knocking back was tarantula in Cambodia.

The Treasurer

Match day pie.

No idea what sort of "meat" is in it but it looks nothing like anything you'd buy in the butchers.

John Gentleman

Well worth a visit.

http://www.khublaikhan.co.uk/edinburgh_restaurant_khublai_khans.html

Shark is freely available down here. It's sold filletted and marketed under the name 'Flake'. Very tasty and boneless. Still prefer haddock though. My ex. (a Kiwi) reckoned it was the best fish she had ever tasted. (I'm drooling at the thought of a fish supper). Home cooked though (in yon orange coloured meal as my mother used to cook it), disnae half stink the kitchen oot though!

Crocodile's great too, but you can only eat the tail. Tastes a bit like a cross between chicken and lobster. The big 'Salties' are a protected species in the northern half of OZ, though I believe some aboriginal communities are allowed to hunt them. Thus, what's available commercially is 'farmed' so the real deal may taste quite different.

Kangaroo, when well hung, is great - virtually fat-free, cheap and readily available. In fact, I prefer it to beef! Very 'rich' though, so you can't eat platefuls of it.

The WORST I've tried is EMU. Absolutely horrible. The blackfellas here seem to have no problem with it. Perhaps it's an acquired taste? Well, they can keep their acquisition - I have no desire to acquire a taste for it.

But topping my list is wild Bluff oysters from south of Invergargill, New Zealand. They're huge, full of sea-salt, taste 'kelpy' and super-rich in iodine. I could easily down a dozen in a few minutes. Shame we can't get them in OZ.

Did I mention the esteemed Australian 'Yabbie'? I'll leave that for another day..........probably deserving a thread of it's own.

Honey Ants, Kangaroo, Buffalo, Crocodile.

and some REALLY weird fish when I visted malaysia.

Had 'koala jerky' but Im not sure that was a pish take

Jack Russell

Nothing odd about that. Especially if your fond of Chinese food from certain takeaways:dog:

Have eaten Camel whilst over here, not actually that bad.

Have also eaten a pussy lots n lots of times, but that was for personal, not dietary reasons!!!

John Gentleman
:rubeyes::wacko: :wacko: :dribble:

Blatantly racist post IMO

You clearly have no knowledge of Australia. The Aboriginals actually refer to themselves as 'blackfellas' and wear the nomentlicture virtually as a badge of honour. Conversely, they refer to 'us' as 'whitefellas'. In fact, both terms are used so commonly, they're pretty much regarded as terms of endearment.

The other terms, 'Boongs' and 'Abo's' are most definitely regarded as derogatory though, irrespective of which context in which they're used.

How do you feel about 'Pommie B@stard'?

Get the drift?..........where do you you draw the line?

BTW, I've seen a lot worse on these forums referring to Glaswegians and/or Leithers than anything I've posted. Or is that acceptable because we share a common ethnicity?

not been to many exotic locations to a little thin on this department.

have eaten crickets though.

was at a chinese banquet on day two of a wedding in the summer and ate sharkfin soup and jellyfish amongst other delights. by far the weirdest thing was how they served up the chicken and duck all chopped up into neat little peices complete with the heads.

looking forward to puffer fish, kobe beef and lots of strange things when i visit japan later in the year

Archived