Record shop on corner of Princes St in 90s

Koolkeith

Alright, this has been doing my head in for a while now. Can anyone remember the name of the record shop that was on the corner of princes st above what used to be State of Independence.

It used to mainly deal in rave/dance records with some hip-hop cds and posters.

Spent a lot of my youth there with my mates in the mid 90s..them buying rave records. and me buying hip-hop.

There was also 031 clothing that used to sell dready and daniel pool gear.

cheap quality sold at a premium.

Oh the memories. I dont think I've ever thought about that shop until now. Princes street was great back then - what ever happened :(

I can't even think what it turned into / is now?

Alright, this has been doing my head in for a while now. Can anyone remember the name of the record shop that was on the corner of princes st above what used to be State of Independence.

It used to mainly deal in rave/dance records with some hip-hop cds and posters.

Spent a lot of my youth there with my mates in the mid 90s..them buying rave records. and me buying hip-hop.

There was also 031 clothing that used to sell dready and daniel pool gear.

cheap quality sold at a premium.

It was called Sounds, and was run by a guy called Ross Keddie.

The Wicker Man

Would that shop have been there in 1978 ?

I remember getting a 12" single signed by a band called "The Pirates" - though I think it may have been a shop in Rose St :confused:

Used to frequent the record shop in St Marys Street, on paydays - think that was called "the other Record shop" ?

That was a crackin wee shop!

Was the Dance section of the shop not away up in the Gods? I seem to recall almost crouching doon in a wee whitewalled attic. I remember you got a crackin view out the tiny wee windows tho ha ha!

Aye top shop, also remember getting all the flyers and that free mag, "Clubscene" on the floor below it. They used to sell some pretty rare Italian House tunes, class!!

ArmiyaRomanova
i worked upstairs in there,in The Joint the second hand section,best job i ever had,it was actually in the High Street

I worked there too for a while (singles department by the door).

The Other Record Shop first opened on St. Marys Street - it only moved to the High Street in the late 1970's - 1978 I think.

Ha, I was talking about 031 clothing to the bird last week. Bought a horrific no fear tshirt out of there when I was 14.

And SOUNDS! I remember all the Ultrasonic, Chill FM and TTF cds and vinyls they used to stock.

Good times.

I P Knightley

The Other Record Shop first opened on St. Marys Street - it only moved to the High Street in the late 1970's - 1978 I think.

Were there not 2 or 3 Other record shops? I seem to remember a red & black circular logo.

My hang-out was Phoenix records on the High Street near the junction with Cockburn St.

i worked there from '82-'83 and IIRC im sure a shop opened in princes st mid '80s

I remember going into The Other Record shop in St Marys St and the one on the High Street,many many times.It introduced me to the wonderful world of music and I have never looked back.I also remember going there to buy Elvis Costellos first album with my Mum,the embarrassment lives with me yet.

blondejamtart

No-one's mentioned Bruce's record shops yet - owned by Bruce Findlay, who went on to manage Simple Minds! Used to buy loads of stuff in there - also remember The Other Record Shops and Sounds too!

Nelly Terraces
No-one's mentioned Bruce's record shops yet - owned by Bruce Findlay, who went on to manage Simple Minds! Used to buy loads of stuff in there - also remember The Other Record Shops and Sounds too!

There was a Bruces on the corner of Princess St and South Charlotte street (where a computer games place is now I think) back in the day, bought loadsa punk singles and badges there. I still wear a Pistols one I bought there for 10p. It was my 1st punk badge.

i worked upstairs in there,in The Joint the second hand section,best job i ever had,it was actually in the High Street

Wow! you worked there. That make you a legend mate.

I used to go there as a snotty nosed little punk, but all the blokes there were brilliant, like these really old (they were prob mid 20s, but they seemed ancient to me!) beardy hippies, one guy in particular, he hated punk, but knew his stuff and what was hot and not, he used to keep loads of lp's back, spesh the 2nd hand stuff.

Brilliant shop. Yeah it moved to Princess St in mid/late 80s and closed soon after. Think they overstretched themselves, I was absolutley gutted when it closed, though it was never the same after they moved from the High St.

Great memories.

There was an original Virgin Shop on Castle Street?, 3 Bruces shops (Rose St, Shandwick Place and Princes St). Phoenix - opposite Bruces on Castle St - Big John from the Exploited behind the desk (next door to the Wimpy). There was TORS on the High St and there was Listen on the High St at the corner of Cockburn St. Also there was a superb 2nd hand shop at the Greyfriars market.

GI records were on Cockburn street.

Phoenix, GI and Listen all closed suddenly after customs busted them for not paying duty on thousands of imports from Canada IIRC.

There was, and still is I think, The Last Record Shop up near the Art college.

FOPP came later to Cockburn street and was superb for cheap quality sounds.

Archived