Waffler Smith taking the Stanton again...

Victorian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8443850.stm

"I've seen the incident since the game and Kyle's was a forward's challenge," Smith told the Rangers website.

"This tackle seems to have attracted a lot of attention when a lot of others seem to have been ignored."

same old brass necked Count Smithula then. defending the indefencible.

the tackle was a disgustingly reckless disregard for the career of a fellow player and he - and now his senile manager - should both be utterly ashamed of themselves.

deny! deny! deny!... the rangers way.

What really was a sickner was the lack of compassion or remorse once he'd done it. Horrible challenge, lucky Hinkel had his weight of it ever so slightly he could have been ****ed.

Kyle Lafferty is a horrible little c0ck.

He should have seen red for what could quite possibly have been the worst tackle of the season.

Walter Smith is a disgrace for defending the little scrote.

I would like to know what the other challenges that have been ignored in the game were?

Angus

If Hinkel had had his weight on that leg, it would have been snapped!!!

Smith has become an outrageous hypocrite!!!

alwaysthereinspirit

So not only are the OF games refereed different than other games. We are now to believe that certain positional players should be excused disgusting tackles because it's not their every day bread and butter.

No wonder our league sucks.

Defending that tackle takes any credibility that Smith has and throws it in the bin. The tackle was disgraceful and if he was a man of honour he would discipline the player.

Football can do without people who support this type of behaviour.

Ask monkeyheid what he thought of the challenge, seen it on the highlights and theres a camera shot of it behind the dug out where at the moment of impact he had to turn away and you could see him cringe

that says it all, absolutely disgusting challenge

The People's Chimp

I just watched that tackle on the BBC site for the first time. Awful, awful challenge. The worst thing about it - almost - being the way that Laugherty just got up and walked away, the picture of idiot arrogance. Let's be clear about it - he wouldn't have given a **** if he'd snapped Hinkel's leg, in fact, he'd probably have thought he was great for doing it.

Yet here is Wattie of the undead out defending the indefensible and giving anyone with an ounce of sense another reason to hate his side of utter wuckfits.

scots civil war

cant stand ole sackface eh

what a **** he is for not taking disciplinary action against that serial offender streak of ****.... theres mogga cringing on camera right beside the incident.......the cringometer must have went into the red at that point

another one in the eye for the scottish game thanks to a part of the squirm

******s

just compare that incident to many many straight red cards dished out to players of other teams and it clearly demonstrates everything that's wrong with scottish football.

what happened the last time steve conroy went 'card happy' in a rangers game?...

he was roundly derided in the media. 'warned off' more like.

Rupert Pupkin

Listen to the weedgie sellick guy commentating on this!!!! HILARIOUS.

What would WATTIE SAY

The Mighty Thor

The Huns have got a huge amount of form in this. What about McCullochs fore-arm smash on the Aberdeen player at Greyskull recently?

Jam Tarts 1874

Smith referring to the challenge as a "forward's tackle" just sums up the lack of enlightenment, no wonder our game is wasted.

Shocking tackle, I'd be embarrassed if it was a Hearts player. How can you possibly defend that? Sickening.

What would WATTIE SAY

"What's he haudin his heid for? His legs ******* sore"

:biggrin:

Unbelievable that he is attempting to defend the indefensible ...

time he was put out to grass ... senility is a terrible thing.

Almost as bad as the silence from the custodians of our game!!!

SoldierPalmer

utterly shameful that Smith implies that this Lafferty assault is acceptable - he should be condemned by the media for this but you know it's not gonna happen - time this ancient dinosaur retired and let a more responsible managers run their "alleged" football club.

:flag2:

Absolute shocker from the dirty Hun. Wally should be done for bring the game into disrepute if he can't accept that challenge is anything other than a straight red. Not what anyone wants to see on the football field and if he were playing for any other club in the SPL that would've been a red without question.

Publicly slating your own players is something our manager does! It's a pitty he doesn't take note from the old dinosaur.

It's the number one golden rule of football management ffs!

I dont know what Wally is slavouring about,because i haven't read anywhere it was a horrid tackle,the usual weegie press scared of Smith.

We've had players sent off for a lot less.

What would WATTIE SAY

That video is hilarious.

"Thats ****in shockin by ra way. Thats bad news. Barry ra Bawbag sayin git up"

EPIC COMMENTARY

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

The guy cost them ?4.5m. It doesnt matter what position he plays. If he costs that and cant tackle then I hope for their sake they kept the bloody reciept. I would expect him to be a decent goalkeeper as well. And be able to paint the lines straight on the park.

Absolute shocker of a tackle from a trumpet of a player/individual.

Is Smith saying its ok for forwards to put in tackles like that?

Do we say to our kids who are forwards in their Under 9's/10's/11's etc teams that it is ok to put in tackles like that?

Smith had three options.

(1) Criticise his own player

(2) Defend his player

(3) No comment/remain silent.

As Meatloaf would say 'two out of three ain't bad' but no old Wattie goes for option (2).

He should hang his head in shame.

Pity the Glasgow/West of Scotland media won't have a go him.

He deserves to be slaughtered.

Mowbray's expression at the incident speaks volumes.

There is some good news -- now every club can tell their forwards to lunge in on the Rangers players without fear, knowing it will be accepted by Wattie as just a forwards challenge -- he'll say so in the interviews afterwards and of course simply shrug his shoulders saying it's part of the game.

Aye Right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can say in all honesty if a Hearts player put in a tackle like that I would condemn it. Even if it was on a player I hated.

Walter Smith is just showing that he a complete idiot with that comment. Defending a player that Rangers paid a ridiculous fee for, most probably based on the assumption that as a good Ulster Rangers fan he will die for the cause. So far he has showed that he will cheat and be dirty for the cause.

John Findlay

Uncle wattie is now considered the Godfather of Scottish football and thus can say what he likes and the lapdogs in the Scottish media(all) will as their name suggests lap it up. He is beyond reproach or criticism. He got Rangers to a Uefa Cup final you know.

John

Sometimes I like what Smith has to say, but in this case he is being a complete walloper. The tackle was out of order, could easily have broken the guy's leg, and if Smith wasn't going to condemn it (which would have been surprising given it was one of his own darling wee players) then he should have just shut the feck up. To condone a tackle like that, and pass it off as a "forward's tackle", shows a level of stupidity I would hope not to see from one of Scottish football's leading influences.

Sometimes I like what Smith has to say, but in this case he is being a complete walloper. The tackle was out of order, could easily have broken the guy's leg, and if Smith wasn't going to condemn it (which would have been surprising given it was one of his own darling wee players) then he should have just shut the feck up. To condone a tackle like that, and pass it off as a "forward's tackle", shows a level of stupidity I would hope not to see from one of Scottish football's leading influences.

But sadly, "Expect" from the shakers and movers (what a joke) of Scottish Football.

super ally has since said cheaterty was very lucky to stay on... but said he was just daft. not dangerous... just daft.

sooner or later some poor player will have to suffer the agony of a snapped leg and have his entire career put at risk if 'daft' cheats continue to throw themselves about with their studs flying. the blame will lie with the likes of the senile old *****house smith.

a parasite on the game.

I P Knightley
super ally has since said cheaterty was very lucky to stay on... but said he was just daft. not dangerous... just daft.

How long before that is given as a defence against a charge of violent conduct?

Player: "Aye, I admit it looks bad that I broke the lad's leg in two but see me? I'm a wee bit daft, I am. Ma Maw's always said it. 'Daft as a brush', she said."

SFA heidyin: "Is that so? Well, in that case, we'll let you off with a warning. 'Mon the Gers."

He was never going to condemn it, it's one of his own players and he protects his own as should all managers. I agree however that he should've said nothing instead but I'm pretty sure he never called a press conference to talk about the tackle. He'll have been asked directly about it and at that point he has to comment.

He was never going to condemn it, it's one of his own players and he protects his own as should all managers. I agree however that he should've said nothing instead but I'm pretty sure he never called a press conference to talk about the tackle. He'll have been asked directly about it and at that point he has to comment.

No he doesn't. However if he decides that he does want to say something, then he can respond with something non-commital such as "The referee took the action he deemed necessary at the time." He's been a manager for a wee while now, and he knows how to dodge questions rather than be forced to defend the indefensible.

It would have been easy for Smith to say "It wasn't a good tackle, but fortunately Hinkel isn't injured and luckily for Kyle he was only booked." It doesn't say anything of any controversy and doesn't slate his player either.

Archived