Where is this?

jambogaz1968

21 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My guess is Tollcross area, the sailors are WW2 with their gas masks over their shoulder, and I suspect the sailor at the back with the peaked cap is a Petty Officer as opposed to com missioned officer.  I am not sure but to counter my own point  I seemed to remember that at least for a time during the war the sailors just had HMS on their hat band, and did not include the name of their ship. But again from a long time ago they sure look like sailors of the day. Jeez I really am getting old when I see that period of my life and recall it.

14 hours ago, Boof said:

Someone had posted the pic on a Shetland Family History site on Facebook so they are genuine servicemen. There weren't any other details that I can remember - I'll maybe see if I can find the post again.

I've seen the photo somewhere before, but can't for the life of me remember where. 

23 hours ago, Boof said:

Someone had posted the pic on a Shetland Family History site on Facebook so they are genuine servicemen. There weren't any other details that I can remember - I'll maybe see if I can find the post again.

Facebook comments.

"Fairly sure this is Portsmouth. It’s WW2 because they are still carrying gas masks . The cap tally on the left is HMS Victory which is Portsmouth barracks. Can’t read the middle tally but it looks a bit like HMS Grenville. He’s a Leading Seaman with one good conduct badge indicating 4 years service from age 18. There is a Chief Petty Officer just behind them which suggests a Naval town."

"Yes, likely Portsmouth. My husband spent several years at HMS Victory. Amused me that a shore station still called HMS when I thought the S stood for ship."

31 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Cruachan?

Bit smaller than Cruachan.

Right direction though - if you started in Glasgow, just keep going :thumbsup:

Just took another look at the picture, the bus makes we wonder the roof seems to be white but the white roofs were painted over in Edinburgh during the war. If it is the Tollcross area or even a busy main street a tram or the tracks or power lines may have shown, the bus actually seems more modern that something in the forties, where they generally had prominent engine compartments, and no rounded off appearance in general as I see this bus having. To be precise I have no bloody idea, who,what,where or when the bloody  picture was taken.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

To be precise I have no bloody idea, who,what,where or when the bloody  picture was taken.

:lol:

I could tell you the 'who' but don't think it would make any difference to finding out anything else.

The photo has NO information on it.

As for Bob's other suggestions I am even cluelesser.

Seymour M Hersh
On 03/03/2021 at 09:56, Boof said:

I've got a 'Where is this?' but don't know the answer.

Looks like it could be Edinburgh...but where?

May be an image of 3 people and people standing

That's John Findley in the middle is it not? ::troll::

John Findlay
11 hours ago, Boof said:

Facebook comments.

"Fairly sure this is Portsmouth. It’s WW2 because they are still carrying gas masks . The cap tally on the left is HMS Victory which is Portsmouth barracks. Can’t read the middle tally but it looks a bit like HMS Grenville. He’s a Leading Seaman with one good conduct badge indicating 4 years service from age 18. There is a Chief Petty Officer just behind them which suggests a Naval town."

"Yes, likely Portsmouth. My husband spent several years at HMS Victory. Amused me that a shore station still called HMS when I thought the S stood for ship."

That is Portsmouth. Hms Victory was the barracks before they where renamed HMS Nelson and became Nelson barracks.

They are walking in Commercial Road having come round from Edinburgh having left the then Victory barracks. Heading towards the Guildhall Square. Commercial Road was pedestrianised in 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Immediately to their right as you look at the picture is Portsmouth and Southsea train station.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That is Portsmouth. Hms Victory was the barracks before they where renamed HMS Nelson and became Nelson barracks.

They are walking in Commercial Road having come round from Edinburgh having left the then Victory barracks. Heading towards the Guildhall Square. Commercial Road was pedestrianised in 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Immediately to their right as you look at the picture is Portsmouth and Southsea train station.

Thanks, John. Could you please clarify what you mean by the bit I've emboldened?
Where were the Victory barracks?

John Findlay
33 minutes ago, Boof said:

Thanks, John. Could you please clarify what you mean by the bit I've emboldened?
Where were the Victory barracks?

I meant Edinburgh Road. It connects onto Commercial road from the left as you look at the photo.

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I meant Edinburgh Road. It connects onto Commercial road from the left as you look at the photo.

Cheers. I shall report back to that Facebook group :thumb:

Going by Google Maps there's been significant redevelopment in that area.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Boof said:

Cheers. I shall report back to that Facebook group :thumb:

Going by Google Maps there's been significant redevelopment in that area.

Yeah there has been alot of redevelopment.

On 03/03/2021 at 09:56, Boof said:

I've got a 'Where is this?' but don't know the answer.

Looks like it could be Edinburgh...but where?

May be an image of 3 people and people standing

They're carrying gas masks so likely a war years photo ?

Portsmouth had buses then that fit the bill (they were the same colours as Edinburgh buses).

There's a monument behind them .

I'd go for Portsmouth or maybe Plymouth but I haven't been to either for over 20 years. 

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

So are you saying that's not you in the photo? :lol:

P.S. sorry for the incorrect spelling of your name in my original post about the photo. 

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So are you saying that's not you in the photo? :lol:

P.S. sorry for the incorrect spelling of your name in my original post about the photo. 

Alas not.

On 23/02/2021 at 10:30, Dunks said:

This was a favourite of mine - any ideas?

image.png.25bfd0066de432c284163a849931c022.png

Is it possible to find images of this dam in google maps/streetview? 

44 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Allt Choimhlidh dam north of Fort William?

It's not on the mainland :whistling:

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Loch Chliostair, Harris. 

He shouts it loud and proud and no wonder, he's right :D

158,859 points go to SUTOL :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Dunks said:

He shouts it loud and proud and no wonder, he's right :D

158,859 points go to SUTOL :thumbsup:

:HeartsMandance:

luckyBatistuta
52 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Hong Kong - Macau bridge?

One guess...One guess😞

Well done Dunks

1 Point

13 hours ago, Dunks said:

A very good find mate :thumbsup:

Would've been impossible without the clues. 👍

9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

One guess...One guess😞

Well done Dunks

1 Point

:yas:

Watched a documentary about it not that long ago :ninja:

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

:yas:

Watched a documentary about it not that long ago :ninja:

🤣 wouldn’t mind watching that, you don’t remember where you saw it do you?

I subscribe to the B1M channel on YT - as a Civil Engineer myself, I love seeing major construction projects around the world :thumbsup:

I didn't realise that this existed. And it only took 8 years and US$15 billion to complete according to the video. Wow.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Dunks said:

I subscribe to the B1M channel on YT - as a Civil Engineer myself, I love seeing major construction projects around the world :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Dunks said:

This is more in-depth.

Thanks very much got this Dunks. Now I’ve got something good to watch at work instead of some of the dross I’ve been watching on Netflix.

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I didn't realise that this existed. And it only took 8 years and US$15 billion to complete according to the video. Wow.

Imagine how long something like that would take here...and the cost!!!

51 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This one is way more impressive and absolutely bonkers at the same time :D

56 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Blooming heck. :) It would be easier just developing flying cars.

luckyBatistuta
On 08/03/2021 at 15:10, Dunks said:

This is more in-depth.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it. Don’t know if I’d have the guts to cross a couple of the other bridges shown in it😬 

Hopefully get to cross it in the near future, as friends have been asking us to go over and visit.

Cheers Dunks 👍

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
On 08/03/2021 at 20:31, Dunks said:

Some seriously clever people out there. The views are just breathtaking, just a shame that you might be stuck in a tunnel and missing out on them.

Cheers again Dunks 😁👍

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Some seriously clever people out there. The views are just breathtaking, just a shame that you might be stuck in a tunnel and missing out on them.

Cheers again Dunks 😁👍

I'm a civil engineer, hence much of my interest in this stuff. I look at some of these proposals though and think .... nah, not a chance.

Have been pouring over some of the A9 plans - the Dunkeld section has some bonkers expensive options.

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I'm a civil engineer, hence much of my interest in this stuff. I look at some of these proposals though and think .... nah, not a chance.

Have been pouring over some of the A9 plans - the Dunkeld section has some bonkers expensive options.

It must be great to be involved in seeing some of these mind boggling thoughts, going from just a crazy idea to actually being created. As I said, some seriously clever folks out there...Dunks included😁

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, Dunks said:

Check out this proposal to avoid losing the railway station car park ...

That’s a good looking project to keep that car park, but is it worth the time and cost. I’m sure it must be, but I have no idea.