UFO over the Pentlands

hughesie27

Another appeared now. At first it hovers then shoots off towards Hillend. Flickering as it glides away

Unfortunately no!

Have a look now, this UFO has floated the other way and yet another has appeared!

Thats about 4 I have seen now, another very faint one came in from the right but has disappeared now.

In Sighthill, looking over to the Pentlands, just seen three flashing lights behaving erratically. Saw similar on the 1st January, tried to photogragh them but nothing showed.

They so paragliding from Hillend.

Nah, they appear from the highest point of the Hill then apparently either glide towards Hillend or otherwise tow the right. I did see one that went a full circle around the hill though.

this_is_my_story

Caught a wee glimpse of a light hovering towards Hillend, moving apparently in different directions, then it seemed to vanish... saw another a few minutes ago which I thought was moving way too fast to be a plane, but the flashing lights now make it look like a plane...?!? Then, what seemed to be the same light started taking what looks to be one of the usual routes to the airport, along the coastline.

What's going on?!

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

Is it not they chinese lanterns that uz are all seeing, my mum saw similar the other day and it was in the papers that they had been letting them off around edinburgh.

portobellojambo1
They go paragliding from Hillend.

They do indeed, and all users have to seek special permission, as it sits slap bang in the middle of Edinburgh Air Traffic Control, and users have to be visible from the tower at all times. Would therefore imagine they have to use some form of lighting, in limited light conditions, as in early evening on a Winter's night.

They do indeed, and all users have to seek special permission, as it sits slap bang in the middle of Edinburgh Air Traffic Control, and users have to be visible from the tower at all times. Would therefore imagine they have to use some form of lighting, in limited light conditions, as in early evening on a Winter's night.

My thoughts exactly!

:thumb:

Is it not they chinese lanterns that uz are all seeing, my mum saw similar the other day and it was in the papers that they had been letting them off around edinburgh.

Quite possibly, definitely not Paragliders as initially they were just overing in one position in the air. They then rise up very slowly and mover right across the hill.

I believe that is what they are. Watched them the other night.

this_is_my_story
Paragliders or lanterns - I saw a lantern last night at 11pm and it could easily be mistaken.

There's no danger that the first one I watched could be either of the above. It was moving at an amazing speed.

I was through at my aunties on Hogmany, and seen 2 bright orange lights in the sky. I thought they were planes at first as the house is directly in the flightpath of the Airport. As they came nearer one of the lights went out and, with my own eyes(not drunk either) I could clearly see a white shape that was moving and rotating in a way that I have never seen before. Im not saying that it's E.T coming for a new year party, but it was definately strange.

aitcheeayartees

I fly paragliders and they are not flown at night! so it was almost perhaps definately probably a UFO. FACT!

maroonlegions
There's no danger that the first one I watched could be either of the above. It was moving at an amazing speed.

If in doubt then there is a section in the link i am providing that goes over the "Chinese Lantern" explanations ,judging by the information provided on the sighting , like speed , changing course, wind if any, it then either rules out or suggests a "Chinese Lantern" explanation.Of course the speed of any object in the sky is an important factor in judging what it could be.Was it too fast for a plane, lantern, helicopter or firework or para glider, was it some kind of lazer show??

Link to NOT Chinese Lanterns", explanations. http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/category/common-ufo-mistakes/not-chinese-lanterns/

Link for IS "Chinese Lanterns" explanations. http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/category/common-ufo-mistakes/chinese_lanterns/

Polite request:

If you have witnessed orange lights then we would ask that before submitting your report you check out the ? Chinese Lantern? section to eliminate this as a possible explanation.:thumb:

If you want you can submit your sighting report here , if only for peace of mind that is. Link, http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/submit-sighting/

I would not rule out a natural explanation for your sighting but at the same time i would not rule out an unknown one either. Further investigation could explain a natural or unknown origin.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I was through at my aunties on Hogmany, and seen 2 bright orange lights in the sky. I thought they were planes at first as the house is directly in the flightpath of the Airport. As they came nearer one of the lights went out and, with my own eyes(not drunk either) I could clearly see a white shape that was moving and rotating in a way that I have never seen before. Im not saying that it's E.T coming for a new year party, but it was definately strange.

saw these over Corstorphine Hill - there was 3 I saw

all I had to drink was Pepsi Max

If in doubt then there is a section in the link i am providing that goes over the "Chinese Lantern" explanations ,judging by the information provided on the sighting , like speed , changing course, wind if any, it then either rules out or suggests a "Chinese Lantern" explanation.Of course the speed of any object in the sky is an important factor in judging what it could be.Was it too fast for a plane, lantern, helicopter or firework or para glider, was it some kind of lazer show??

Link to NOT Chinese Lanterns", explanations. http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/category/common-ufo-mistakes/not-chinese-lanterns/

Link for IS "Chinese Lanterns" explanations. http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/category/common-ufo-mistakes/chinese_lanterns/

Polite request:

If you have witnessed orange lights then we would ask that before submitting your report you check out the ? Chinese Lantern? section to eliminate this as a possible explanation.:thumb:

If you want you can submit your sighting report here , if only for peace of mind that is. Link, http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/submit-sighting/

I would not rule out a natural explanation for your sighting but at the same time i would not rule out an unknown one either. Further investigation could explain a natural or unknown origin.

This is a hard one to call as no shaky camera phone footage, i still reckon a Helicopter is the most likely explanation.

Or a weather Balloon.:blink:

I say theyre definately lanterns.

I saw a couple of them the other night and nearly

crashed my cab watching it.

I could see what looked like a flickering flame at the bottom

and guessed it was some kind of mini hot air balloon.

this_is_my_story
They are Chinese Lanterns. Look very cool, and they are becoming very popular too. Perfect fodder for Maroonlegions!

I'm not suggesting that there's not a perfectly normal or natural explanation for what I saw, but if they were Chinese lanterns, I'm wondering how the hell they're made to move that fast!

A satellite then? Although they tend to move through a steady trajectory. You see loads of them during winter because it's not as bright.

They don't go through the motions you described, so it is odd.

They are Chinese Lanterns. Look very cool, and they are becoming very popular too. Perfect fodder for Maroonlegions!

I've got a box of these in the loft - may have to set them off around town to get the UFO spotters out :hae52:

I set some chinese lanterns off just before christmas. Even with hardly any wind they flew off at a crazy speed, but stayed lit for a good 5 minutes at least.

I took this photo the other night, You can see Carlton Hill on the bottom right of the picture..

What you think?

Star%20Destroyer.jpg

Marmeladent?rtchen

The army are up that way, they could be testing one of the un-maned spy plane/ drone/ blimp things!

I set some chinese lanterns off just before christmas. Even with hardly any wind they flew off at a crazy speed, but stayed lit for a good 5 minutes at least.

YIP THATS IT YOU GOT IT IN ONE

The Old Tolbooth

Thank god someone explained the orange lights in the sky as Chinese lanterns, we were walking back from the boozer on new years morning (about 2am and completely buckled) when I pointed up to the sky at these orange lights, myself and a mate stood and pointed at them like a pair of *****s wondering what the hell they were, whilst Linda and her pal decided to have a mini wrestling match in a nearby hedge, we must have looked a right state!

Archived