Aviemore Snowsports

Alan_R

Looking to go up to aviemore for one night at the start of the week.

Idea is I'll just hire gear and get a few hours on the slopes then head back down.

How easily done is this? I gather day passes for the slopes can be purchased easily at the time?

Any helpful links or info would be appreciated.

Does anyone know what its like for snowboarding there? I've only ever been skiing in scotland previously and that was ages ago.

CavySlaveJambo

Yeah I reckon so. I think they are bought with the ticket for the railway.

The railway is standing room only. They have a cafe at the top etc.

This is the Cairngorm site also if you have never been there before the car park is actually quite high up. So check if the road is open before going

Cheers thanks alot.

When you say railway, I gather that is a necessity to get to the slopes?

Can I just ask if there are chair lifts?

I hate the pullys, they are a nightmare.

Looks like the road is closed. We were planning on driving.

If I get myself to Aviemore is there an alternative way to reach the slopes?

CavySlaveJambo
Looks like the road is closed. We were planning on driving.

If I get myself to Aviemore is there an alternative way to reach the slopes?

Furnicular replaced the chairlifts in between 2001. And there is only the road. or walking. But all the ski lifts will be shut when the road is closed.

Furnicular replaced the chairlifts in between 2001. And there is only the road. or walking. But all the ski lifts will be shut when the road is closed.

Really sorry to keep firing all the questions at you but how long a walk would it be?

Basically I'm just trying to work out if its worth my while going up.

deesidejambo

Glenshee is open and easier to get to imo. There is often a queue for hire eqt so better you hire them somewhere else and take them with you.

Miller Jambo 60
Really sorry to keep firing all the questions at you but how long a walk would it be?

Take plenty warm clothing mate and i dont have to tell you, stay safe.

Dangerous up there the noo, talking about -15 C.:thumb:

Take plenty warm clothing mate and i dont have to tell you, stay safe.

Dangerous up there the noo, talking about -15 C.:thumb:

this time last year i was in Czech republic hitting the slopes at a cool -19C :shocked666:

To answer a few of your questions - once the road is closed, no there's no other way other than hoofing it and I'm sure they close the slopes anyway if the road is shut. The Ski road is believe it or not 7 miles long, from Aviemore centre to the slopes, but the bit they close is only from the foot of the mountain upwards, ie the last mile or so.

Hiring kit is a piece of p!ss, you get your lift pass at the funicular railway terminal (at the car park), and at that time you tell them you want to hire kit. You can get anything - skis / board / boots etc - even gloves and goggles if you want. and you pay for it along with your ski pass ticket. Once you get that, you have to walk out round the corner to the hire shop, present your ticket and you get your stuff. (You can hire kit in Aviemore centre, but its not worth the hassle of an extra pick-up / drop off in the car IMO.) Get there early cos this can be a bit of a wait. One bit of advice, if you are not there at the crack of dawn, its probably worth just turning up at lunchtime, that way you can buy a half day ticket - with all your costs at half price!

You then walk back to the funicular terminal and queue for the next train.

Here's the downside though, the Q at the funicular is a disgrace - this thing was meant to speed up the process of getting you up the slopes, but in my view it has done exactly the opposite, it only runs every 15 mins and if the Q is too long and you have to wait for the next one, there goes 30 mins, plus the 15 mins it takes to reach the top.

Unfortunately theres no other way of getting up the hill nowadays other than using the train, all chairlifts and tows start higher up.

Once you're up there and if the conditions are good (ie its not a white-out!), then you tend to forget the hassles with the Qs, but beware, doesn't matter what day you go up there, with the conditions like this, you will be Q'ing more than skiing mate!

:thumb:

i would be suprised if they close the road.

I was up in Aviemore in Feb and they had 2 snow ploughs on that road all day and it was blizzzard conditions then.

Archived