Bovril

wibble

Has been vegetarian since 2004. Did anyone notice?

My wife came home with a jar today thinking it was funny that they had it in Aldi. Seems that they changed it over to Yeast extract in 2004. It's a rare commodity over here.

Will try one tonight and report back.

Ingredients:

Beef Stock (43%), Yeast Extract (24%), Salt, Colour (E150c), Waxy Maize Starch, Dehydrated Beef (1.3%), Flavour Enhancer

(Disodium 5’-ribonucleotides), Lactic Acid, Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Spice Extracts (contains celery), Vitamin B12.

At least the cows that go into it are vegetarian so you were half right.

:thumb:

Stewart MacD

They changed it because of the infected beeves scare, but now there is the option of beef extract or veggie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the real man's version in Sydney.

I'm in KL now and I bet it's available here!

Can't abide that Vege****** the Aussies like.

The one I got from Aldi is 100% vegetarian.

from Wikipedia:

The removal of beef from the recipe in 2004 was not without criticism, with many complaining that the new variant did not taste the same and had a different mouth feel[citation needed]. Beef extract was eventually re-introduced as a key Bovril ingredient in 2006, after the European Commission lifted its ban on the export of Britain's beef products - it was only at this point that the manufacturer stated explicitly that this had been the main reason for beef's removal.[citation needed]

So Aldi are selling me 4 yr old Bovril. *******s.

Carl Spackler

I buy loads of the stuff. It definitely was Veggie for a while but I haven't seen anything but the proper stuff for ages. It has "BEEF" stamped on the front of it.

One of mankind's best inventions. Scottish obviously.

There'll be some poor vegetarian somewhere got hooked on it when it was vegetarian and hasn't realised that it's now made of boiled up cow lips.

29025-large.jpg

Carl Spackler
There'll be some poor vegetarian somewhere got hooked on it when it was vegetarian and hasn't realised that it's now made of boiled up cow lips.

29025-large.jpg

It must be like Steroids to a veggie.

Has been vegetarian since 2004. Did anyone notice?

My wife came home with a jar today thinking it was funny that they had it in Aldi. Seems that they changed it over to Yeast extract in 2004. It's a rare commodity over here.

Will try one tonight and report back.

WOW...I just canny wait:blink:

Say What Again
I buy loads of the stuff. It definitely was Veggie for a while but I haven't seen anything but the proper stuff for ages. It has "BEEF" stamped on the front of it.

One of mankind's best inventions. Scottish obviously.

I have to make sure I get enough salt intake and was told that easy ways to do it was either a packet of crisps a day or a bovril.

I quite happily alternate between the two.

:thumb:

They changed it because of the infected beeves scare, but now there is the option of beef extract or veggie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the real man's version in Sydney.

I'm in KL now and I bet it's available here!

Can't abide that Vege****** the Aussies like.

Vegemite is superb. I like it because it's easier to spread on toast than marmite.

J.T.F.Robertson

Had a Bovril at the Motherwell game, Wednesday. It was crap, but still tasted good, if yi ken what I mean. :blink:

Archived