Only an Excuse.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Anyone watch it last night.The scene with Rearend when he is being told that there are lots of clubs phoning about him then only to be told that its night clubs that are banning him from their clubs.:thumb:

The other scene with Shaba and a Jambo who asks Shaba for the time and then listens to Shabas long intellectual speculations on the meaning of time.Also Chic Youngs scene underneath the Rangers support in Europe where he is trying to defend the misbehaviour of the Rangers fans.

Italian Lambretta

This was the worse programme I've seen over the festive period. All the usual stuff is no longer funny. Although the sketch about csaba was mildly amusing.

However, still game was brilliant:thumb:

portobellojambo1
This was the worse programme I've seen over the festive period. All the usual stuff is no longer funny. Although the sketch about csaba was mildly amusing.

However, still game was brilliant:thumb:

Agree totally, I've no idea why I actually watched it, as it has been played out for a number of years now (it is the same old p*ss repeated year after year after year) and last night it reached new depths of pure and utter crap.

I too found myself chuckling at Still Game, but I trust this is the last time the BBC will inflict Only an Excuse on us

maroonlegions

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions and i suppose its all about your personal tastes in humour and pesh takes but this programme always makes me laugh though.The "Geeze Your Gold And We Will Geeze you Money" sketch was funny as was the Rearend sketch.Still Game is quality though.Cheers for your replies and inputs though,:thumb: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.:thumb:Fecker off a hangover , looks like its hair of the dog again.:booze:

A Boy Named Crow

I thought the Csaba bit was decent, but that's about it. It's still just an Old Firm-centric pile of pish. It's a shame because it used to be a properly funny comment on Scottish football, back when Tony Roper was still involved. Now it's just a very very tired show more than fifteen years past its sell by date.

Miller Jambo 60
Well everyone is entitled to their opinions and i suppose its all about your personal tastes in humour and pesh takes but this programme always makes me laugh though.The "Geeze Your Gold And We Will Geeze you Money" sketch was funny as was the Rearend sketch.Still Game is quality though.Cheers for your replies and inputs though,:thumb: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.:thumb:Fecker off a hangover , looks like its hair of the dog again.:booze:

Thought it was good myself, and Dennis Law is well imitated.

Thought the burds with macavenie was really good

Commander Harris

Only an Excuse is absolutely dire, tbf I haven't seen it in a couple of years but if it's still regurgitating the same old "isn't sectarianism hilarious" ****e then i don't think I'm missing much.

Last years was poor but it was definitely much better this year (or last year technically).

Susan Boyle bit, Chic talking her up on the commentary then she unveils a Celtic scarf "and that's one CD I won't be buying!"

Csaba bit was good, and the bit right at the end with the footage of Leveins press conference, Chic asked if there are many differences between the current Scotland squad and the one you had at Cowdenbeath;(cuts to actual footage) "no, not really".

Pish, as usual.

The only bit I found mildly amuising was the Scotland, Sellick and Rangers in crisis part, with Chick Young going ''nooo''.

I actually didn't mind it this year.

The Csaba sketch was great. I also liked Macavenney's 'What um a like?'.

Not bad.

jambos are go!

Agree it was better than last year with an attempt to update the characters used. The Csaba sketch was predictable but well done.

Thought it was good myself, and Dennis Law is well imitated.

Thought the burds with macavenie was really good

i made those kilts the rockettes were wearing :loved:

Full of the same old jokes they wheel out every year. Absolutely honking, only the Csaba sketch raised a smile.

Still game though was funny even for a repeat.

The Hogmany Show at 11.45pm was dire, please god let there have been a technical fault if they were transmitting that around the world over the net. Show Edinburgh and the fireworks, forget the studio crap.

Agree it was better than last year with an attempt to update the characters used. The Csaba sketch was predictable but well done.

Ehh? We still had Chic Young the Rangers fan, MacAvennie and Burdz, Charlie Nicholas mixing his words, weegies being neds....................

I thought it was alright for a change. Particularly liked the Scotland's History sketches and Charlie Nick.

jamboinglasgow

I must admit that I thought it was better one then in previous years. Still think the BBC need to get some new impressionists in who are allowed to put new figures and original sketches, watching Alistair McGowan on live at the Apollo showed what is missing as he continues to bring in new people to imitate rather than dine out on the same people.

Liked the Scotland's history, csaba, the Barry and Allan drinking and a few other sketches.

Harry Palmer

Watched this on iplayer.

Same old pish and if they're continuing, it badly needs new blood. Used to enjoy it, many many years ago. However it has grown stale, very fusty in fact. Like most TV on auld years night....

Hungry hippo

It's nothing like as good as it used to be and is a bit tired but the posts above have good reviews for about half of the sketches so it can't be that bad.

Most of the impressions are still quality including new ones like Csaba and Mowbray but the jokes are far from cutting edge. In the early years I remember everyone discussing the show with their mates over the next week in a similar way to the impact Mock the Week these days.

I hpoe they keep doing it as the alternative is they probably that extend Jackie Bird's Hogmanay bit and don't think anybody wants that.

it was miles better than the last few years, but that doesnt mean much compared to the train wreck of past hogmanays. a couple of good laughs, but it needs freshening up. they should atleast try out another new impressionist for variation; it might as well go out trying something.

What a load of pish Only an excuse has become.

Used to be prety funny but the last couple years it has been dire!

I Switched it off half way through as i yawned too much this program used to be good but sadly without the frank muckaveny scene it is total p-sh.

It had its day but is now finished:blink:

maltese jambo

Love Only an Excuse; if anyone can do it would really appreciate an upload to youtube....cant see it on the iplayer since i live abroad.

auldbauldfan

Haven't watched it in years but, from the posts on this thread, can't believe they are still churning out the McAvennie and Denis Law rubbish. Might have been mildly amusing years ago but now? - gies a brek!

The best OAE for a few years. :thumb:

Always going to be some pish in it but Csaba, The Booze Brothers, Macca in the jungle and more were pretty good. Downside was he did some of the stuff that doesn't even work on Watson's Wind Up on the radio on a Friday night. STV news for example. If anyone from BBC reads this, that sketch is scheidt on radio and TV!!!

duckandcover

Just watched it the now thought it was really funny. Thought Csaba's sketch was great, along with Michelle Mone asking who Macavennie was and him replying "Francis, Frank, Frankie, Macca, Macavennie" was pretty funny.

Commander Harris
Only an Excuse is absolutely dire, tbf I haven't seen it in a couple of years but if it's still regurgitating the same old "isn't sectarianism hilarious" ****e then i don't think I'm missing much.

just had a look at it on iplayer, refreshingly free from all that ****e but still too reliant on the same old characters and catchphrases.

I must be in a bit of a minority as I actually quite enjoyed it.

Waldo with the 'possible cash injection' aka scratchcard worth 'heehaw' had me rolling about for some reason.

Miller Jambo 60
didn't quite get john hughes' speach defects right did he

Ha Ha never noticed that one, must have been bad.

Buffalo Bill

That's the first time I've ever seen Still Game and I thought it was very funny.

Only an Excuse was only funny the first couple of years when Tony Roper did it.

Archived